News   Apr 23, 2024
 148     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 370     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Spelling differences-Queen's English vs. American

Everyone: Something just came to my mind today-Pronounciation or Pronunciation-could there be a Queen's English spelling difference here? - it reminded me of American spellings of commonly-used words such as Centre/Center ; Favour/Favor or Neighbourhood/Neighborhood? Can this be clarified once and for all? LI MIKE

According to dictionary.com 'pronounciation' isn't a word, so I'm going to have to side with the Admiral on this one, although I'm sure it's a commonly-made mistake.

According to dictionary.com 'pronounciation' isn't a word, so I'm going to have to side with the Admiral on this one, although I'm sure it's a commonly-made mistake.
The use of such commonly-made mistakes are being increasingly utilized by employers to test and eliminate potential employees. For example, for my job here in Toronto I had to undertake a MsWord typed exam on several industry matters (thankfully it wasn't a hand written test, as my penmanship is dreadful). Afterward I was told that a primary goal of such testing is to weed-out those with poor literacy, grammar and/or a poor grasp of English.

At my last job in New Brunswick, our plant manager would receive resumes from university educated engineers with errors in spelling, grammar and prose. Obviously, their resumes were circle filed.

As a final example, my wife is an office secretary with impeccable spelling and literacy. Her boss, the VP, asks her vet all resumes for such errors and to dispose of any resumes that do not measure up. I guarantee you, if you had "pronounciate" on a resume or correspondence, you'd not get the job.

Old school pronunciation is Turr-AWN-uh. My grandfather (born and raised in TO) used to say it like that.

But most people from around here say Turr-AWN-oh. Is there much debate on this? That's pretty much all I ever hear, personally. Not many people pronounce the last "t" unless they are from somewhere else, especially the U.S. But in that case, who cares how they pronounce it? How would they know what locals say? Half the fun of travelling is figuring all that stuff out.

ToronTOE Torontoes toron toe sucking

think about it (or should i say stink about it) Toronto could become the foot fetish capital of the world! truely iconic

"come to toron toe , a world of diverse wiggling toes"

"your feet belong here"

vn5023.jpg

ToronTOE we got soul!
http://www.feetishes.com/preview/babygirl/baby016.jpg

Old school pronunciation is Turr-AWN-uh. My grandfather (born and raised in TO) used to say it like that.

But most people from around here say Turr-AWN-oh. Is there much debate on this? That's pretty much all I ever hear, personally.

I grew up and still am here and pronounce it as Tor-awn-ah.

Back