News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.3K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 674     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 938     0 

Post a good floorplan!

That's a huge layout with only 1 bedroom and not much window space.
The entrance door opening outwards is very odd.
It looks to be a loft space in an old building.

How high are the ceilings and does the space gets much light?
The thick wall separating the den and dining room looks like it could be structural and could not be moved.
I would make the den and dining room into two bedrooms and open the wall between the old bedroom and living room so that you expose as much window and light to your living space as possible. You could still keep the existing walk-in closet, but move the door to the opposite side so that it opens to the newly created bedroom.

Is there a possibility of adding another bathroom? For that size of space it really needs it.

The entrance door actually does open inwards (from what I remember) despite the depiction here - in any case is that a bad thing for any reason? By the way, this will be my first condo, so I'm new the condo thing (and the tiny sizes!).

It is not a loft space (per se) and the building is less than 10 years old. It is definitely a peculiar unit for several reasons and not a layout plan that the builder sold or has in any other unit in the building.

Very interesting idea re moving the master bedroom altogether, and I agree 1000% with you re the need for another bathroom (especially if this is made into a 2 bedroom) - I'm just not sure how much renovations can be done in a condo typically (i.e. can new plumbing even be put in in a building?). My issue with the 2 bedroom plan though is that then none of the bedrooms would have any windows! I'm not sure how much of a deal breaker that generally is. And also, not sure if the layout allows to have 2 bedrooms in that dining+den area comfortably. How would the separate work? Something like the attached? I thought bedrooms have to have a window + closet? Actually, given that the window faces the highway, maybe it makes even more sense for the bedroom to not have a window?

On that note, I would appreciate your input generally on this unit given its following downsides:
- 1 bathroom
- on a low level in the building, but most importantly at the same level as- and facing a major highway
- no balcony

But, on the other hand, this unit was listed extremely cheap compared to market (i.e. 30% below market on a per sq. ft. basis). What do you all think - will this be an extremely hard proposition when I need to resell it? Will I sit on it forever? Or does the reduced price justify the above issues?

Excuse the crude MS Paint edits.

layout 2.jpg

Attachments

• layout 2.jpg
    layout 2.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 1,543
Remember that before you undertake any renos, especially something like adding a bathroom, you need approval from the board

How big of an issue do you think it is that the unit is facing the highway and is basically on the same level as the highway? You can definitely hear the "hum" of the highway. This issue is bothering me most and I'm not sure how this is looked upon by others?

I feel like you don't really like this unit. Do you?

Do the things you like about it outweigh the things you don't?

I feel like you don't really like this unit. Do you?

Do the things you like about it outweigh the things you don't?

I personally don't mind the proximity to the highway that much, my only fear is with re to when I need to sell it in a few years. How big of a factor is the proximity and exposure to the highway in price, anyone have experience with this?

The large space definitely outweighs the highway issue for me, but if this will be a huge hit on resale price and cause the unit to be very hard to sell, that would likely outweigh the good for me - I guess the issue is I don't have the experience to be a good judge of that.

Having inboard bedrooms would not be an issue in a loft or in a unit that has high ceilings, which I mean at least 10 feet tall, to allow for walls that stop short 3 feet to allow for light.
As this is a newer construction, most likely concrete construction, it would be either impossible or outrageously expensive to add plumbing for an extra bathroom.
Newer buildings built along the Gardiner have pretty good windows that insulates much of the highway noise. I used to live in a condo in Cityplace right next to the Gardiner and with the windows closed you barely notice the noise. With the windows open, that's another story. The only noise complaint would be from really loud trucks and motorcycles.

The issues I still see is that there is not much window space for the size of unit and also it faces the same level as the Gardiner which you get the noise, pollution, and glare of headlights at night. If you really like the building and neighbourhood maybe you can give a low ball offer -- I'm sure this unit is a difficult sell because of the view and a second bed and bath is expected of unit of that size (three bedrooms could be had in a much smaller unit these days).

You will have to renovate this unit really nicely and thoughtfully to make it marketable when you are ready to resell, as it will make up for all of its shortcomings. You will also have to factor in the cost of the renovations as well. If you plan to live long term there than your investment would be better justified.

Another thing to think about is the maintenance fees as that is calculated by square footage. You will be paying for a lot of fees a month if the condo fees are generally high in the building.

Which building is this located in, if you don't mind me asking?

Untitled3.jpg
The entrance door actually does open inwards (from what I remember) despite the depiction here - in any case is that a bad thing for any reason? By the way, this will be my first condo, so I'm new the condo thing (and the tiny sizes!).

It is not a loft space (per se) and the building is less than 10 years old. It is definitely a peculiar unit for several reasons and not a layout plan that the builder sold or has in any other unit in the building.

Very interesting idea re moving the master bedroom altogether, and I agree 1000% with you re the need for another bathroom (especially if this is made into a 2 bedroom) - I'm just not sure how much renovations can be done in a condo typically (i.e. can new plumbing even be put in in a building?). My issue with the 2 bedroom plan though is that then none of the bedrooms would have any windows! I'm not sure how much of a deal breaker that generally is. And also, not sure if the layout allows to have 2 bedrooms in that dining+den area comfortably. How would the separate work? Something like the attached? I thought bedrooms have to have a window + closet? Actually, given that the window faces the highway, maybe it makes even more sense for the bedroom to not have a window?

On that note, I would appreciate your input generally on this unit given its following downsides:
- 1 bathroom
- on a low level in the building, but most importantly at the same level as- and facing a major highway
- no balcony

But, on the other hand, this unit was listed extremely cheap compared to market (i.e. 30% below market on a per sq. ft. basis). What do you all think - will this be an extremely hard proposition when I need to resell it? Will I sit on it forever? Or does the reduced price justify the above issues?

Excuse the crude MS Paint edits.

View attachment 35248

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,154
See attached for a 1+1 with 1200 sq. ft. layout.

I think they could have made the layout a lot more functional with all that space, but this is a one-and-only unit with this layout.... thoughts? (By the way, I am a new member looking for input on this layout from people on here, but it turns out I can't post my own thread until I have 20 posts... so rather than spam the forum posting 20 posts quickly for no reason, I figured since posting a floor plan IS the subject matter of this thread, I could do it here and still be legit!)

With re to dimensions, as I mentioned, the suite is 1200 sq. ft. (1 washroom for such a space is not great).
The den is approx. 8-9' x 13'
The bedroom is smaller at approx. 10' x 10'.
From the right end of the dining room to the left end of the unit is approx. 25'.

I generally don't like the fully open concept layouts where the kitchen is basically the wall of the living room, but my thought was to put in an island to designate a larger area as the "kitchen".

Any ideas on setting the unit up efficiently with couches/TV, etc?

here's what I came up with - should be self explanatory, but if you have questions, post it here.

Attachments

• layout.JPG
    layout.JPG
    76.3 KB · Views: 715
Last edited:
This is my future floor plan at only 537sqft, but great use of space..

Untitled.jpg

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 1,252
Me. Every day.

This is what drives me nuts when looking at new condos -- so many people don't use the kitchen much that they are making kitchens with doll-sized appliances. For those of us who DO cook, we want full-sized appliances. *rant over*

Me. Every day.

This is what drives me nuts when looking at new condos -- so many people don't use the kitchen much that they are making kitchens with doll-sized appliances. For those of us who DO cook, we want full-sized appliances. *rant over*

hehe I was just kidding. I would much rather have the kitchen right when I walk in opposed to having the living room near the entrance. I would hate to have my GF or guests bother me when I'm watching TV as they come in.

Where would you put the kitchen on the floor plan I posted above?

I think that floor plan is very efficient. Especially when the windows are only on one side. I have a similar issue, but will make it work. Personally, I have no issue with the bathroom being across the kitchen, the door will be closed at all times.

Last edited:

Back