News   Jul 04, 2024
 677     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 635     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 586     1 

Poll: Renaming Yonge-University-Spadina

What should the Yonge-University-Spadina line be called?

• Yonge-University-Spadina

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Yonge-University

Votes: 44 51.2%
  • Yellow Line

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Line 1

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
No... Vaughan Corporate/Metropolitan Centre. Good luck even getting that on the roll sign.

Well it's the TTC's system. If TTC wants to call it Vaughan Centre to be consistent with the precedents set by Scarborough Centre and North York Centre, I say let them.

I don't think Toronto will own the Vaughan station. There is significant funding coming from York Region.
Given that the current arrangements say TTC will own the station, what do you think is going to change between now and the opening?

I voted for Yellow Line. One of the things I found confusing before I moved to Toronto was how, when getting on at Union, the same line had two different names. Personally, what I'd like to see is sort of a Boston-style system where a station is designated the central point and from there you are either headed inbound or outbound. I think it would work well on the YUS line given it's U-shape. You could designate Union as the central point so that anyone getting on north of Union on either side is either headed outbound to Downsview or Finch or inbound to Union. Likewise, you could designate Yonge Station as that point on the B-D (Green) Line so you're headed inbound toward Yonge or outbound toward Kipling or Kennedy. The Sheppard (Purple) Line, being as short as it is, can just use the existing termini as its directions. Numbers (Line 1, 2, 3, etc.) could also work under this scheme, but I figure since colours have already been attributed to the lines, why confuse matters even more.

As an outsider, I always found it strange how the same line could be called different names just because of the street it's running under, especially Spadina which has the subway only for a few blocks. And referring to the line in it's entirety is a mouthful. That said, I won't be terribly upset if the status quo is maintained.

Actually, when I moved to Boston I found the in/outbound designation one of the more confusing aspects of the T. It's intuitive enough when one is travelling inward towards downtown or outward from it, but once you get to the downtown stations it's hardly intuitive (or convenient) which way is in and which is out. For a purely radial system like the T, in/outbound might have some point, but Toronto and the TTC is grid-like enough that terminal, direction or some other unique nomenclature is more meaningful (especially for the lines that don't go through a logical central point like downtown, such as Sheppard or, if it ever gets built in any form, Eglinton).
I also agree with LIM's sentiment that naming the lines by colour (and to some extent, by numbers) is a dumbing-down solution. If much more extensive systems like those in Japan, SE Asia or London can come up with enough unique and meaningful names for all their lines, there's no reason why TTC with our handful of lines cannot.

With an extended Sheppard Subway, I can just imagine the squables already....inbound to NYCC or inbound to STC? Let's not fuel Scarborough's inferiority complex any further and just stick with the old N-S-E-W.

To promote more projects we should have more tunes like this catchy one.

[video=youtube;CyVkyEClc00]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyVkyEClc00[/video]

Please-Absolutely NO Inbound and Outbound in Toronto!!!

I voted for Yellow Line. One of the things I found confusing before I moved to Toronto was how, when getting on at Union, the same line had two different names. Personally, what I'd like to see is sort of a Boston-style system where a station is designated the central point and from there you are either headed inbound or outbound. I think it would work well on the YUS line given it's U-shape. You could designate Union as the central point so that anyone getting on north of Union on either side is either headed outbound to Downsview or Finch or inbound to Union. Likewise, you could designate Yonge Station as that point on the B-D (Green) Line so you're headed inbound toward Yonge or outbound toward Kipling or Kennedy. The Sheppard (Purple) Line, being as short as it is, can just use the existing termini as its directions. Numbers (Line 1, 2, 3, etc.) could also work under this scheme, but I figure since colours have already been attributed to the lines, why confuse matters even more.

As an outsider, I always found it strange how the same line could be called different names just because of the street it's running under, especially Spadina which has the subway only for a few blocks. And referring to the line in it's entirety is a mouthful. That said, I won't be terribly upset if the status quo is maintained.

Erik: To make things less confusing I would just use NORTH or SOUTH-the TRUE DIRECTIONS for intermediate signage on each leg of the YUS route...or perhaps the terminal destinations:
"Yonge Line To Finch"
"Spadina Line (if they continue to use that name) to Downsview"

Golohendil: I agree with you as far as Boston is concerned...

The Boston system - which totally overuses the terms "Inbound" and "Outbound" can be very confusing to some
and I would discontinue the use of these terms in favor of the line destination names or by adding directions where it
is not confusing such as "Orange line North to Oak Grove" or "Orange Line South to Forest Hills".
"Green Line East To Downtown and Lechmere" or "Green Line D Line West to Riverside"

The Red Line-because it changes true directions in its route-would use the train "Destination" only because of this anomaly...
The only line in which "Inbound" and "Outbound" make sense is the stub-end Blue Line...even though I would use
"Blue Line West to Downtown" or "Blue Line East to Logan Airport and Wonderland"

The reason I dislike the terms "Inbound" and "Outbound" is that what can be "Out" to one can be "In" to another...
Especially on a line or lines that do not terminate in a central core area...

Insight and opinion from Long Island Mike

Red is good because it's the color of blood.

And blood will need to be shed before the DRL ever sees the light of day!

*cue dramatic music*

Winning the Olympic Summer games maybe?

which are very likely if
-we don't mess up the Pan Am (This help Rio winning the games for 2012)
-due to Chicago's lost for 2016. By 2020 or 2024, It will be North America's turn and after Atlanta and Salt lake City scandals...
It's looking good for Canada

We could just bill the Feds for the DRL:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Winning the Olympic Summer games maybe?

which are very likely if
-we don't mess up the Pan Am (This help Rio winning the games for 2012)
-due to Chicago's lost for 2016. By 2020 or 2024, It will be North America's turn and after Atlanta and Salt lake City scandals...
It's looking good for Canada

We could just bill the Feds for the DRL:rolleyes:

Sad but true. It's too bad we need the entire world to be watching for the Governments to put forward money for such a beneficial project.

I already refer to "Yellow" and "Green" line on many occasions (usually with out of towners or recent arrivals) without any confusion. Seems the most obvious and universal method.

Back