News   Jul 04, 2024
 680     1 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 635     0 
News   Jul 04, 2024
 586     1 

Poll: Renaming Yonge-University-Spadina

What should the Yonge-University-Spadina line be called?

• Yonge-University-Spadina

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • Yonge-University

Votes: 44 51.2%
  • Yellow Line

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Line 1

Votes: 5 5.8%
  • Other (explain in post)

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
I usually call the western half the Spadina line, as I tend to transfer to it at St. George.

However, the Yonge-Spadina line sounds odd without University in the middle.

I also call the west half Spadina and the east half Yonge. It's useful to be able to distinguish between the branches. For example "I'm taking the Spadina line up to Lawrence" and "I'm taking the Yonge line up to Lawrence" mean very different things.

Changing the name to University would still allow for this distinction, whereas the other options do not.

Everden. It only runs under that street for two blocks just south of Eglinton, but it is sufficiently obscure that it will end up being one of those random curiousities in the future.

- @Capacity Line
- Single Point of Failure Line

Okay, I voted for Yonge - University

I'd be down for that, conditional on the DRL being built first though. Naming that new line would be interesting though :s

Unfortunately I think the DRL has fallen by the wayside a long time ago. Miller & Co. didn't push it, and I don't see Ford touching it either.

Voted for: The "Yellow Line"

Reason: KISS (Keep It Simple, Stupid)

Unfortunately I think the DRL has fallen by the wayside a long time ago. Miller & Co. didn't push it, and I don't see Ford touching it either.

We'll see. Council pushed for the study last year, and one of the chief proponents (Michael Thompson) is now pretty high up in the Ford regime. We'll see what happens when the DRTES is concluded.

Uh, no. Renaming a line after a colour, when no other lines are named after colours, is not keeping it simple.

Yonge-University Line seems like a no-brainer.

If YUS were renamed the Yellow Line, one would assume that BD would be the Green Line, Sheppard would be the Purple Line and the SRT would be the Blue Line.

The question is whether we should favour simplicity over geographical information.

Naming after a colour, or even a number, might make sense in certain other cities where major roads are not laid out in a grid and transit lines don't follow any particular corridor or street. But Toronto are has strong corridors, each with its own transit line, whether it be bus, streetcar, subway, and people recognize this, so I don't think there is any point of naming lines after colours. Naming transit lines after streets and destinations just makes more sense in the Toronto area.

The University Line doesn't follow any particular corridor, but it does serve all of University Ave, and it does serve University of Toronto and York University, so it is very easy for people to identify as the University Line, or the University portion of the Yonge-University Line. In Toronto, transit lines named after streets and destinations is more simpler than names after colours or numbers.

Back