News   Jul 16, 2024
 421     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
You don't know either. Period. You're making assumptions

Hudak was part of Harris' government, which actively cut transit throughout the 90s. His platform shows no particular enthusiasm for transit, nor any signs that his political views have changed.

The problem I find with Hudak is that he's not simply deferring transit for later- he's actively cutting transit- he's cancelling lines, uploading the most profitable elements of the TTC, and handwaving crucial elements of transit expansion with the "After the deficit is eliminated" excuse. I have doubts that you really support transit if you're still supporting this guy.

"After the deficit is eliminated" excuse???. It's not an excuse, it's real. I seriously question your knowledge on the consequences of growing deficits and debts and keep over spending. You might fancy LRT's all over the place but I'm pretty sure the Spaniards would rather have a job instead of having subways everywhere like they did. Their unemployment rate is just insane and guess what??? They had to introduce "Austerity measures" afterwards.

A Hudak government might be fine for Ontario, but it would be terrible for Toronto.

If Ontario sinks, Toronto sinks with it. When Quebec sank, it dragged Montreal with it

Hudak was part of Harris' government, which actively cut transit throughout the 90s. His platform shows no particular enthusiasm for transit, nor any signs that his political views have changed.

Wynne was part of McGuinty's government who massively increased taxes, wasted billions, doubled the debt, ran deficits. Her platform shows and recent decision shows no signs that it would be different with her in power... *cough* cancelling the Scarborough LRT for a subway *Cough*

They are just as politically opportunist as ever before

Already held my nose and voted Liberal. Don't know how anyone can vote for a PC party backed by Hudak.

Meh, if anyone can't understand why someone would vote for one of the major parties, it really says more about them than anything else.

"After the deficit is eliminated" excuse???. It's not an excuse, it's real. I seriously question your knowledge on the consequences of growing deficits and debts and keep over spending. You might fancy LRT's all over the place but I'm pretty sure the Spaniards would rather have a job instead of having subways everywhere like they did. Their unemployment rate is just insane and guess what??? They had to introduce "Austerity measures" afterwards.

It is an excuse though. Ontario is not Spain, and Ontario will not become Spain by voting in the Liberals or not. Wynne has promised to balance the budget too; admittedly, she hasn't given as many details; but I would stomach one year more of deficits FAR rather than cut and slash this province into a place where I and my family do not want to live.

Meh, if anyone can't understand why someone would vote for one of the major parties, it really says more about them than anything else.

Reading comprehension is clearly not one of your strengths. Product of the Harris years education system?

Cross-posted from the thread in the Politics subforum- A Hudak government is definitely possible.

Ontario voter turnout down 6% in advance polls; Multiple stops today for party leaders as Ontario election draws near;

Riding of Simcoe-Grey (#PCPO incumbent) top advance voter turnout with 9,009. Kingston & Islands (#OLP incumbent) #2 with 8,565 adv votes;

3 ridings with lowest advance turnout all #OLP territory: York West - 1,691 | Etobicoke North - 2,029 | York South-Weston - 2,143

Why does Warren think Tim Hudak is going to win?
- The Conservative vote base is smaller but way, way more motivated.
- 75 per cent of the province want change.
- Wynne's campaign has been "mad as hell" bizarro, and Horwath's under-funded.
- HARPER'S MACHINE IS HELPING THE PC GOTV EFFORT FOR FIRST TIME IN A DECADE.

http://warrenkinsella.com/2014/06/h...en-thinks-tim-hudak-is-going-to-win/#comments

So prepare yourselves for the dismantling of the TTC and another decade without any improvements in transit.

You can't extrapolate turnout numbers for advanced polls and use them to assume that voter turnout will be lower/higher on the 12th.

Case in point: Quebec saw a big jump in advanced poll turnout, but fewer people showed up to vote overall

Last edited:
Reading comprehension is clearly not one of your strengths. Product of the Harris years education system?

What part of my statement misinterpreted what you said?

You said you couldn't understand why anyone could vote for Hudak/PCs.

My point was that if you can't understand why someone would vote for any of the major parties, it probably says a lot more about you than it does about anything else.

What part of my statement misinterpreted what you said?

You said you couldn't understand why anyone could vote for Hudak/PCs.

My point was that if you can't understand why someone would vote for any of the major parties, it probably says a lot more about you than it does about anything else.

You are making it appear that I am attacking the party itself, which I have voted for in the past. I am attacking the (lack of) leadership, not the party itself.

Ontario is not Spain, and Ontario will not become Spain by voting in the Liberals or not.
No we're not Spain, but you want us to act like them and Wynne. Invest Billions we don't have and hoping that it will create enough growth to tackle the deficit and debt down the road. Look where they are now... Outrageous unemployment rate and austerity measures but they have nice looking subway stations and LRT. The average Spaniard would take a job over fancy transit any day of the week.

Wynne has promised to balance the budget too; admittedly, she hasn't given as many details; but I would stomach one year more of deficits FAR rather than cut and slash this province into a place where I and my family do not want to live.

Wow! and you don't find that scary? She still hasn't explain where she'd get the money to pay for transit now that her tax plan is gone. I don't see any difference

Wynne was part of McGuinty's government who massively increased taxes, wasted billions, doubled the debt, ran deficits. Her platform shows and recent decision shows no signs that it would be different with her in power... *cough* cancelling the Scarborough LRT for a subway *Cough*

They are just as politically opportunist as ever before

Wait, are you saying Hudak didn't support replacing Scarborough LRT for a subway (or you, on that matter)? And let's not pretend the PCs would have done otherwise re: debt over the 2008 economic crisis either. The whole politically opportunist swipe is kind of ironic considering what Hudak just did re: Ottawa LRT Phase 2.

AoD

Last edited:
Wait, are you saying Hudak didn't support replacing Scarborough LRT for a subway? And let's not pretend the PCs would have done otherwise re: debt over the 2008 economic crisis either.

AoD

The PC were consistent from the start on what they supported which can't be said for the Liberals who became subway champions overnight to save a seat...Gas plant anyone?

BTW, the Liberals were already increasing the debt prior to the 2008 crisis. They have been wasting public funds for a very long time

The PC were consistent from the start on what they supported

Like Ottawa LRT Phase 2? Repeating something again and again doesn't make your statements true.

Liberals were already increasing the debt prior to the 2008 crisis. They have been wasting public funds for a very long time

Debt does not by default equate to waste.

AoD

Doesn't building subways and infrastructure provide people with jobs? And don't those efforts actually improve the society? What kind of jobs does not building infrastructure create?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back