398     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 509     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Politics: Tim Hudak's Plan for Ontario if he becomes Premier

Status
Not open for further replies.
No we're not Spain, but you want us to act like them and Wynne. Invest Billions we don't have and hoping that it will create enough growth to tackle the deficit and debt down the road. Look where they are now... Outrageous unemployment rate and austerity measures but they have nice looking subway stations and LRT. The average Spaniard would take a job over fancy transit any day of the week.

So let me get this straight. According to you, the right thing to do would be to implement the same austerity measures Spain implemented? I remind you the austerity measures did not work in Spain, nor in any European country.

The PC were consistent from the start on what they supported which can't be said for the Liberals who became subway champions overnight to save a seat...Gas plant anyone?

BTW, the Liberals were already increasing the debt prior to the 2008 crisis. They have been wasting public funds for a very long time

By your logic, the Harris government mush have been wasting tonnes of money. Yes, they too increased the debt by more than 30% while in office.

Like Ottawa LRT Phase 2? Repeating something again and again doesn't make your statements true.

I hate flip flops, regardless of who does it, and in that case, it was a stupid error and poor communication. He should have included Phase II along the DRL for Toronto instead of saying no. This will hurt him in Ottawa, which he rightfully deserves.

Debt does not by default equate to waste.AoD

If debt=/=waste, then it's waste+debt which makes it twice as worse

That's hardly ethical and total incompetence. She could have stood up and said no but she didn't. Wasn't she the one who said that cancelling the gas plant was a political decision like it was no big deal? She's only sorry because it may cost her a majority or she might be leader of the opposition. She'd do it again if she had too.
Hudak could have said no too, but he stood up and said they should be cancelled.

However, how anyone can possibly equate a bad decision with corruption I don't know. Corruption is what happens when politicans get money or benefits in their own pocket that they shouldn't. Like Peter Shurman, Patrick Duffy, Pamela Wallin, Brian Mulroney, Rob Ford, etc. Presumably there are Liberal or NDP examples as well, but none are coming to mind right now, with the possible exception of Mac Harb - who did the right thing and quickly resigned.

I hate flip flops, regardless of who does it, and in that case, it was a stupid error and poor communication. He should have included Phase II along the DRL for Toronto instead of saying no. This will hurt him in Ottawa, which he rightfully deserves.

It's neither an error nor a miscommunication - it is someone who did electoral calculus. And why should it matters only to Ottawa, when you made opportunism an ethical issue?

If debt=/=waste, then it's waste+debt which makes it twice as worse

Is that Hudak math?

AoD

Doesn't building subways and infrastructure provide people with jobs? And don't those efforts actually improve the society? What kind of jobs does not building infrastructure create?

Then why does Spain have one of the worse unemployment rates in Europe? I'm not making this up and I'm asking you the question.

That's hardly ethical and total incompetence. She could have stood up and said no but she didn't. Wasn't she the one who said that cancelling the gas plant was a political decision like it was no big deal? She's only sorry because it may cost her a majority or she might be leader of the opposition. She'd do it again if she had too.
Hudak could have said no too, but he stood up and said they should be cancelled.

However, how anyone can possibly equate a bad decision with corruption I don't know. Corruption is what happens when politicans get money or benefits in their own pocket that they shouldn't. Like Peter Shurman, Patrick Duffy, Pamela Wallin, Brian Mulroney, Alison Redford, Rob Ford, Susan Fennell, etc. Presumably there are Liberal or NDP examples as well, but none are coming to mind right now, with the possible exception of Mac Harb - who did the right thing and quickly resigned.

I know I joke about Tories being corrupt ... but it's only now that I made a list, I'm really surprised at how almost all the recent examples are Tories.

So let me get this straight. According to you, the right thing to do would be to implement the same austerity measures Spain implemented? I remind you the austerity measures did not work in Spain, nor in any European country.

Not at all. The right thing to do is to eliminate the deficit and control/reduce the debt so you won't have to introduce austerity measures. Quebec is doing that for the first time since Bouchard was Premier before the left took over the PQ and got rid of their right wing members

By your logic, the Harris government mush have been wasting tonnes of money. Yes, they too increased the debt by more than 30% while in office.

You do realize that the liberal more than doubled the debt, right? Yes, the debt increased under Harris but you're conveniently leaving out the government before him in the equation.

Then why does Spain have one of the worse unemployment rates in Europe? I'm not making this up and I'm asking you the question.
If you look at a map of the unemployment in Spain, you'll see that it's a lot lower in, and immediately around Madrid, then much of the rest of the country where there has been little transit construction. Ditto for Barcelona.

Don't be naive. He was leader of the opposition. His job is to say "no" to everything. I don't support that either and like Europe, there should be more coalition governments

However, how anyone can possibly equate a bad decision with corruption I don't know. Corruption is what happens when politicans get money or benefits in their own pocket that they shouldn't. Like Peter Shurman, Patrick Duffy, Pamela Wallin, Brian Mulroney, Rob Ford, etc. Presumably there are Liberal or NDP examples as well, but none are coming to mind right now, with the possible exception of Mac Harb - who did the right thing and quickly resigned.

When the police are investigating, you know someone went too far

You do realize that the liberal more than doubled the debt, right? Yes, the debt increased under Harris but you're conveniently leaving out the government before him in the equation.
You're conveniently ignoring that Harris was in power during boom years while the Liberals were in power during a global economic meltdown. And that for the 3 years or so before the meltdown, the Liberals had surpluses.

What are you talking about?

Hudak promised he would cut the share of the gas tax funding that currently goes to TTC (and every other transit agency in Ontario). That's huge!

Unlike most of the pro Wynne, I never claim to agree with everything Hudak is doing or promising. Cutting more subsidies to Transit agencies in the province is wrong. As for the TTC, woudln't uploading the subway to Metrolinx drastically lower their operating costs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back