News   Apr 18, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 359     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Canada signs deal with Amazon to distribute medical supplies

Alicja Siekierska
Yahoo Finance Canada April 3, 2020

Canada has signed an agreement with Amazon (AMZN) to distribute critical medical supplies across the country, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced Friday.

The federal government has tapped the online behemoth to manage the distribution of medical supplies, including masks, face shields, gowns, ventilators, and test kits.

“For the past few weeks, our government has been working closely with industry to produce the supplies our healthcare workers need like masks, face shields, gowns, ventilators, and test kits,” Trudeau said at his daily press conference on Friday.

“Today, I can announce that our government has signed an agreement with Amazon Canada to manage the distribution of this equipment to the provinces and territories.”

Earlier this week, Trudeau announced that the federal government will spend $2 billion on protective personal equipment, including masks, face shields, gowns, along with ventilators, test kits and swabs and hand sanitizer as the country fights the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ottawa has spoken to more than 3,000 companies that have offered to contribute in various ways in the fight against COVID-19. It has so far reached formal agreements with Thornhill Medical, as well as Medicom Group and Spartan Bioscience to produce medical supplies and equipment.

I'd love to hear the rationale for going with Amazon as opposed to the crown-owned Canada Post, where the money would be recycled into the government's own accounts.

I'd love to hear the rationale for going with Amazon as opposed to the crown-owned Canada Post, where the money would be recycled into the government's own accounts.

No clue about the various distribution networks of the players but article reads as though it is a shared effort. It's a combination of facilities for assembling loads for long haul then facilities for local distribution. I'm wondering if CP (or any of them individually) lacked the ability to ramp up fast enough.

That's a different situation than pushing for a leadership convention. And it terrifies me that Trump will try to pull something like that.

The New York Times just called Canada the ‘moral leader of the free world’
https://t.co/vxNXoJKRyc?amp=1
From link.

For as long as any of us have been alive, the United States has been The Leader of the Free World™ and Canada has been… there. Sure, we’ve had our cool moments (the Olympics come to mind) but it’s hard to argue with the States on the world stage. Well, it looks like we’re finally getting our moment — a New York Times opinion piece has just declared Canada “the moral leader of the free world.”

Entitled “Thank God for Canada!” and written by Nicholas Kristof, the piece points out that in the wake of Donald Trump‘s election, Canada has stepped up to call out injustice, offer asylum and overall, set an example for how moral and compassionate countries should operate.

“Canada may be one of the world’s more boring countries, as yawn-inspiring as sensible shoes — wake up, reader, I know you’re snoozing!” Kristof writes. “But it’s also emerging as a moral leader of the free world. There’s no one else.”

Boring? Have you seen our Prime Minister?

Boring jokes aside, the article paints a pretty complimentary portrait of Canada. It even claims that Justin Trudeau has turned down NYT interviews because he doesn’t want American outlets praising him too much lest Trump hold it against him. A moral leader AND modest? Incredible.

Kristof points to Canada’s calling out of Saudi Arabia’s imprisoning of women’s rights advocates and our offering of asylum to Rahaf Mohammed Alqunun — the young woman who fled Saudi Arabia under threat of violence from her family — as two examples of Canada’s leadership. The country has also taken in more Syrian refugees while other countries closed their borders and been quietly helping Venezuela towards democracy since 2017. There’s also the whole China mess where Canada spoke out about the detention of Muslims in the Xinjiang region and stuck to its guns after arresting tech company Huawei’s CFO.

There’s also an emphasis in the piece on admirable policies within our country such as gun control and banking oversight, calling them “preternaturally sensible.” Kristof also points to our “better safety laws,” lower vehicle fatality rate and increased use of public transit as laudable qualities.

Now before you cry “We have problems too!” Kristof acknowledges that briefly (before hitting that age-old “Nice Canadian” stereotype).

“Whenever I say something nice about Canada, I get indignant emails from Canadian friends pointing out the country’s shortcomings (which are real),” he writes. “Fortunately, Canadians don’t seem capable of mean emails. Not even of mean tweets.”

Do we have our problems? You betcha. Does the New York Times op-ed section have its problems? OH yes. Are we going to take this as a sweet little victory? Also, yes.

Kristof finishes:

“Today there’s a vacuum of constructive global leadership. Canada may be incapable of a mean tweet, but it’s tough when necessary — and it may be the leader the world needs.”

Aww.

That's a different situation than pushing for a leadership convention. And it terrifies me that Trump will try to pull something like that.

If Americans can't physically go to the ballot box by November and technology can't be trusted to produce uncontested electoral results, a five-year term for Trump may just have to suffice. Maybe by 2021 a better nominee will present themselves on the Left to challenge him.

He is still interim leader, but not a very good one. The federal conservatives refuse to get on board with the "Team Canada" mindset to fight COVID-19 and it is going to hurt them.

He is still interim leader, but not a very good one. The federal conservatives refuse to get on board with the "Team Canada" mindset to fight COVID-19 and it is going to hurt them.

No doubt it will. Canadians want to deal with this crisis not get into a pissing match over their response to it. If the Federal Conservatives cannot just shut their mouth and help they will cause problems down the road.

Personally I don't care if my Great Grandchildren are still paying for this pandemic response as long as people are safe and healthy. The Conservatives should be thinking the same way because at the end of the day money is not important if people start dying.

I take no issue w/ an Opposition leader doing their job; providing advice to the government on how it can improve its policy response; and expressing concern or asking for answers where those may be appropriate.

The problem....with the Federal Conservatives in the context of the current situation is that they are being overtly partisan; and that their tone alternates between angry and whiny rather than constructive.

It really reads as self-sabotage to me.........because I can't rationalize how the strategy discussion behind closed doors leads to the public talking points of Scheer, or Rempel or MacKay......

Perhaps they are taking their pointers from Trump who can't get through his daily briefing without digs at the media, the Democrats and anyone else he thinks isn't being "fair" to him (or who calls him out on his numerous inconsistencies and outright lies)

Back