News   Apr 23, 2024
 94     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 847     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 288     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

I think your take is misdirected- do you think that closing the borders for non-essential travel between Canada and US is useless?

My take is border control is essential to limit unnecessary international movement and contain the spread, much the same as social distancing is an effort to contain it internally. Trump has been trying to frame the pandemic as a 'barbarians at the gate' issue and that just about everything that is wrong in the world is the fault of foreigners.

I think we need to also curb domestic travel. We need to stop moving around so much.

Perhaps it may come to that but, besides pleadings and moral suasion from government officials I'm not exactly sure how we would do that. Besides, as the cabin fever sets in, one of the options I am considering is making a coffee and going for a drive for a couple of hours. Still socially isolating (actually, a little more as it would get me out of my wife's hair).

PEI is making everyone who comes back self-quarantine and the PM said that interprovincial travel for other than essential reasons is discouraged.

I went to get groceries today and it was nice to get out of my small travel bubble.

EKOS put put some data just now. The federal response has 75% approval in terms of the handling of the pandemic and Trudeau personally has 66% support. In terms of voting intentions, the Liberals have 39% support, which would likely give him a very healthy majority.

That level of support right now, and based on regional breakdowns, is nearly 200 seats for the Liberals.

In fairness, I would and do object to Ford's Conservatives having the power they do with a minority of popular support, so I can't be any more enthusiastic for the Federal Liberals.

Based on what we know, their handling of this seems to be decent, though on some policy details I sincerely believe they can and should be better.

But I digress.

I don't want to see any party command 100% of the power with anything less than 100% of the vote.

Certainly much better than the US, with their usual rider process (appendments, paper-clipping, etc.of Senators pet projects or local funding grabs), which is business as usual down there.

Back