News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     3 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

It is pretty clear to me that the Liberals are "AV-or-status-quo" on the issue.

I am happy they abandoned the promise. I'd rather they be clear on their position instead of this two-facedness.

I love how you continue to believe this problem is exclusive to this government.
What was Harper's main promise in 2006? Lowering GST by 2%.
How about in 2011? Returning to balance budget.

Compare to Chretien and scrapping GST, McGuinty with his no new tax pledge, or Wynne in 2014 with no cap'n trade. There is a pattern.

I have a general question for everyone. When Trudeau made all of those promises, did he really think that the Liberals would go from third party status to a strong majority? Before election day, I was pretty sure that he might win a slim minority at best, or maybe the CPC would have that minority government.

I disagree Trudeau scrap the idea due to procedural issues.
It was never in his interest

Yes and no - it could have been to his parties' advantage. Some models considered can actually insinuate a long-term majority for the Liberals. The opposition is horrified by that potential (not entirely without reason) and rallied under the "no reform without referendum" cry, forced their way into the committee- and of course that's like the default choice for what will be a hung decision. The status quo is pretty much guaranteed at that point. CPC doesn't want it, Liberals' heart isn't really in it and only the NDP really wanted it, and nobody really knows what "it" is.

AoD

Last edited:
I have a general question for everyone. When Trudeau made all of those promises, did he really think that the Liberals would go from third party status to a strong majority?
No. Does that mean one can lie if they don't expect to be called on it?
Before election day, I was pretty sure that he might win a slim minority at best, or maybe the CPC would have that minority government.
By the final 4 days, I was expecting a Liberal majority. But Trudeau could hardly say that all the promises that were made up until that point were all lies to fool a gullible electorate.

I highly doubt that the decision to pull back was because they have gained a majority. I suspect it has more to do with not being able to do a quick legislate and have it done with with their desired outcome - but the referendum route, which is going to drag on for years and end up with a null result.

Interesting piece: http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/goodbye-to-electoral-reform-1.3962324

As to "gullible electorate" - it's only true if you assume the entire body of his support is predicated upon this one issue.

AoD

Last edited:
For those who like a PR form of government, I suggest you look at how it took weeks to cobble together a coalition in Iceland. Ireland has a minority government because the two main parties hate each other and can't get along. Spain also has a minority government because no one will work together. Israel's coalition was cobbled together literally two hours before the deadline.

STV would, PR wouldn't. That's also why the CPC is consistently against it because they'd be losers in both.

AoD

Correct, not every electoral reform would have benefited the Liberals (as best as anyone can tell), although the Tories would have been the bigger losers under any scenario other than FPTP. However, I was simply responding to the suggestion that it was never in his interest. It could very much have been in the Liberals' interest. But as it increasingly headed towards a nasty gong show, it increasingly became a distraction that simply wasn't worth their effort.

Correct, not every electoral reform would have benefited the Liberals (as best as anyone can tell), although the Tories would have been the bigger losers under any scenario other than FPTP. However, I was simply responding to the suggestion that it was never in his interest. It could very much have been in the Liberals' interest. But as it increasingly headed towards a nasty gong show, it increasingly became a distraction that simply wasn't worth their effort.

As mentioned previously, the Liberals couldn't get the mode that favours them and risk the whole exercise turning into a mess with no winners and them being the losers, that's why they gave up on it now. That's the cynical (and probably most realistic) view. Nobody want to run a national referendum and spend millions that stirs up the passions and provides a big no in the end (see - Charlottetown Accord) in the leadup to the next election.

AoD

Back