News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 855     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Just an observation, but Trudeau was very quick to call this terrorism. In the past, Obama was hesitant to say as much.

Last edited:
Just an observation, but Trudeau was very quick to call this terrorism. In the past, Obama was hesitant to say as much.

He didn't call the Parliament Hill attack a terrorist act until later, and reluctantly, when the RCMP declared it one. Here is his comment for reference:

"My fellow Canadians: I’m speaking to you from a Parliament Hill just coming out of lockdown. I am deeply saddened by today’s horrific events here in Ottawa and unreservedly condemn these brutal and heartless acts of violence. This attack is unforgivable. Should any other perpetrators or co-conspirators exist, they must be caught and be punished to the full force of our laws.

I’ve extended an offer of full support to the government along with any assistance members of our party can provide at this time. My thoughts and prayers, along with those of my colleagues, go out to the family and friends of the victims of today’s horrific shooting, including Cpl. Nathan Frank Cirillo, who was standing dutifully, guarding one of our nation’s most sacred monuments.

It was a cowardly act — an unarmed man was murdered in cold blood, at close range. Words cannot express this deep sadness we feel over his loss. To the brave women and men who rushed to the scene to confront the shooter and to help keep us safe, I say only, 'Thank you. Thank you for your selfless courage and your professionalism in this time of crisis.'

In the days that follow, there will be questions, anger and perhaps confusion. This is natural, but we cannot let this get the better of us. Losing ourselves to fear and speculation is the intention of those who commit these heinous acts. They mean to shake us. We will remain resolved. They want us to forget ourselves. Instead, we will remember. We will remember who we are.

We are a proud democracy, a welcoming and peaceful nation and a country of open arms and open hearts. We are a nation of fairness, of justice and of the rule of law. We will not be intimidated into changing that. If anything, these are the values and principles to which we must hold on even tighter.

Our dedication to democracy and to the institutions we have built is the foundation of our society and a continued belief in both will guide us correctly into the future. Staying true to our values in a time of crisis will make us an example to the world.

Criminals cannot and will not dictate to us how we act as a nation, how we govern ourselves or how we treat each other. They cannot and will not dictate our values, and they do not get to decide how we use our shared public spaces.

Today, some speak of the loss of innocence in Canada. This is inaccurate. Canada is not and has never been innocent to the threats we face. And we know, as we have always known, that we are not immune. What is true is that we have never let those threats shape us, and we have never bowed to those who mean to undermine our values and our way of life. We have remained Canadians, and this is how we will carry on.

We will get answers to how and why this happened. They will be vital in preventing any future attack. And to our friends and fellow citizens in the Muslim community, Canadians know acts such as these committed in the name of Islam are an aberration of your faith. Continued mutual co-operation and respect will help prevent the influence of distorted ideological propaganda posing as religion.

We will walk forward together, not apart.

In the coming days, we will be inundated with pictures and videos showing what happened today. But there is one in particular we should all remember: the picture in our minds we have of Canadians helping and protecting Canadians. That is who we truly are, and it is who we shall continue to be.

Good night."

Frankly, he's not nearly as bad as Mulcair or Obama in that regard.

Haha just saw the clip of Shumer crying (literally) about the travel ban. I guess he's taking lessons from Freeland on how to be a political leader.

"Muslim ban" means that Muslims aren't allowed in the U.S. At least 87% of worldwide Muslims are still allowed in the U.S. Also, the ban is temporary and a stop-gap measure until they improve screening. You can still be outraged by the ban without lying about what it is.

Are you telling us how to read and interpret basic English now? And accusing people who disagree with you of lying?

Are you a parody account?

http://www.macleans.ca/news/world/its-time-for-trudeau-to-do-brave-things/

Thoughts on this article? I do think that the PM has the chance to endear himself to a lot of people.
If they've been vetted already by the 47 departments and agencies that the refugees have to go through in order to enter the United States prior to Trump's presidency, then I don't really have a problem with bringing them to Canada.

I'm not necesarially pro-refugee, but these are people who are left in limbo because of change of direction south of the border.

Haha just saw the clip of Shumer crying (literally) about the travel ban. I guess he's taking lessons from Freeland on how to be a political leader.
You can't honestly be comparing Freeland's brief break in emotion to this.

Freeland travelled to some 30 individual countries and sub-national governments to negotiate a free trade agreement where each one of those governmental units ardently believing themselves to be the centres of the universe, only for it to nearly fail because of idiotic domestic politics in one sub-national region (Wallonia) that was well beyond Freeland's control. To go through all of that, only to be held up by bloody Wallonia of all places, is I would say, emotionally abusive.

And she got it done at the end. I applaud her leadership in CETA, if anything.

You're right of course Wisla. Schumers was pure acting, Freeland's was real.

That said, despite the challenges...you don't cry in business or politics. I've never seen that in my professional life and hope never to encounter it. Still, it's a petty complaint and Freeland clearly is performing better than most in the Cabinet. I thought she was going to disgrace Canada after that Maher trainwreck.

We all know which guy was the shooter and the religion of peace that he follows.
Which religion would that be? Tell you what, you tell me directly which one was the shooter:

A) Alexandre Bissonnette, who the police said tried to take lives.

OR

B) Mohamed Khadir, who the police said called 911 to try to save lives.

Doesn't CSIS have a report that the greatest threat in Canada is actually right-wing Cristian nutjobs and not mid-east 'terrorists'

I believe US Homeland Security had a similar report and they were forced to sort of walk back from it after being pressured by Republicans.

I doubt people like Migos would admit that though. The truth hurts.

Doesn't CSIS have a report that the greatest threat in Canada is actually right-wing Cristian nutjobs and not mid-east 'terrorists'
I believe US Homeland Security had a similar report and they were forced to sort of walk back from it after being pressured by Republicans.

I don't think we need to treat it as an either/or - both are threats. What we should ask ourselves is, given all the policies we have around dealing with ISIS and the like, what have we done about the homegrown, ultra-right movement that flies under the radar?

AoD

Speaking of right-wing nut jobs...

http://www.cbc.ca/news/opinion/canadian-mass-murders-1.3958772

In fact, in the pantheon of Canadian mass murderers, Mr. Bissonnette is entirely unremarkable. Just about every single one in our modern history has been a Canadian-born, Canadian citizen, and usually white and Christian, meaning extreme vetting of immigrants from places like Yemen and Iraq wouldn't have done a thing to prevent their predations.

The piece didn't mention this one:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Joseph_Chartier

AoD

Excellent piece by Andrew Coyne -

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-c...-of-intolerance-behind-anti-muslim-atrocities

But people do not act in a moral vacuum. They take their cues from those around them, from what is considered acceptable in the circles in which they move, and the larger the circle in which it is considered acceptable to do and say certain things, the more likely they are to do and say the same. There are such things as cultures, which may wink at things like bribery and tax evasion — and prejudice — or, as one hopes, frown on them.
This is not in any way to suggest these views should be censored. We would not convict an accused person on a hunch; neither is the supposition, however logical, that open advocacy of prejudicial views might lead to hate crimes sufficient to warrant their suppression — not if we take free speech seriously.
We are all of us engaged every day in the construction of a moral order: by our accumulated individual examples, the words we use, the acts we condone, we can make it one that encourages decency and compassion towards others, or the reverse. This is particularly true of those in positions of leadership, political or other.

AoD

Back