News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.4K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 843     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

We don't know yet, other than equating terrorism to a mass shooting with casualties - it could be a zillion things.

Apparently no English news channels are carrying the piece yet - isn't it pathetic?

AoD

Yes. City News had about 5 seconds on the shooting and about 10 minutes on anti Trump protests happening in the US. Absolutely pathetic.

Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 11.21.22 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 11.21.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-29 at 11.21.22 PM.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 187
Early evidence points to a Muslim-on-Muslim attack:

A witness who asked to remain anonymous told Radio-Canada that two masked individuals entered the mosque.

"It seemed to me that they had a Québécois accent. They started to fire, and as they shot, they yelled, 'Allahu akbar!' The bullets hit people that were praying. People who were praying lost their lives. A bullet passed right over my head.

Interesting how CBC downplays the "Allahu akbar" part which would indicate a Muslim is involved and instead focuses on the Quebecois accent which implies it was a Canadian: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/quebec-city-mosque-gun-shots-1.3957686

Certainly bad timing for the "diversity is our strength" comment and good political timing for Trump.

Early reports are that both are Laval Students and Khadir is of Moroccan descent. Fox News has it and quoted Francophone media.

I'm predicting Trudeau and his team claim mental illness. That's been the standard playbook so far for terrorist incident in Canada. If Khadir turns out to be an immigrant (or worse a refugee), it's going to give Trump some more momentum and allow for a lot of awkward questions to Trudeau.

Claiming mental illness is the standard playbook?

How, on the basis of the little information we know today, are you jumping to the conclusion about momentum for Trump (not even sure what you mean about awkward questions for Trudeau)? Given most shootings in this country are by white men, why aren't you speculating about Alexandre Bissonnette?

Claiming mental illness is the standard playbook?

How, on the basis of the little information we know today, are you jumping to the conclusion about momentum for Trump (not even sure what you mean about awkward questions for Trudeau)? Given most shootings in this country are by white men, why aren't you speculating about Alexandre Bissonnette?

It's an inconvenient aspect undermining the thesis.

I find this to be more useful in trying to understand what might be going on (cited by the author himself commenting on this particular attack)- viewed from a US lens from a particular perspective of course:

http://thefederalist.com/2015/07/09/the-revenge-of-the-lost-boys/

AoD

Last edited:
Terrifying. Sounds like a far-right nut. How does someone buy an AK-47 in Canada?

They said that it looked like an AK-47. It could be a legal semi-automatic version. Or it could be an illegal gun. There are plenty of illegal firearms in Canada smuggled in from the U.S.

Typically Liberals will claim terrorist attacks are a result of mental illness and not jihad or Islamic-inspired terrorism. I think Trudeau will do the same here.

When a Muslim immigrant commits an act of terror, its bad politically for Trudeau and good for Trump. That's pretty obvious given their policy isn't it? Trudeau will have to explain why we're safe allowing in more immigrants and Trump can point to it as an example of why we should control immigration from terrorist hot beds for closely.

As for your statement about whites being responsible for the majority of shootings, I certainly would expect that to be the case given that about 80% of Canadians are white. However, last I heard the RCMP and other police forces banned race-based statistics so I'm not sure how you could make that claim with any certainty. Source?

You're joking, right? First, that's the standard refrain against the right wing, that right wingers always say terrorism when the perpetrator's skin is brown, mental illness when the perpetrator's skin is white. When a white guy shoots up a black church, for example, it's mental illness not terrorism apparently. Second, and more importantly, when has the Liberal party suggested that a terror attack was not terrorism but mental illness?

As for source, do you really need to go through mass shootings in Canada and the US? I'm disinclined to find sources when you're just making stuff up about Liberal claims and Islam.

Back