News   Jun 27, 2024
 374     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 678     1 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 436     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

On the flip side you could do what TMU did and open a campus in Cairo..

https://tmu.uofcanada.edu.eg/

That is legit. They enroll students who actually want to study there. They also aren't running diploma mill programs. I doubt TMU Cairo's Aerospace Engineering program (accredited by the CEAB in Canada) will be attracting students who want an easy path to Canada. These are actually the kind of students we should sincerely want to attract. Not the grifters looking for a way around the point system.

TeeMoo. Such a funny name. My university attending kids refer to it as such.

Yeah. I cast my alumni vote against it. I get why they had to change Ryerson (I disagree with it but whatever). But I wish they had gone with Toronto Technical University (Toronto Tech) or something to that effect. Toronto Metropolitan University is so rootless and ignores Ryerson's really solid history as a Polytechnic. I've never understood their desire to try be more like U of T and York when both those schools produce tens of thousands of Liberal Arts and Science majors with poor employment prospects while so much of Ryerson's portfolio is strongly professionally focused.

Yeah. I cast my alumni vote against it. I get why they had to change Ryerson (I disagree with it but whatever). But I wish they had gone with Toronto Technical University (Toronto Tech) or something to that effect. Toronto Metropolitan University is so rootless and ignores Ryerson's really solid history as a Polytechnic. I've never understood their desire to try be more like U of T and York when both those schools produce tens of thousands of Liberal Arts and Science majors with poor employment prospects while so much of Ryerson's portfolio is strongly professionally focused.

They should have called it Rye High..

If you can use a fork, you can go to York.

Lets be clear, attracting and retaining some of the best and brighest the world has to offer to our highest quality University programs is absolutely worthwhile and does pay off.

The best and brightest in the world go to the US or Europe. They mostly don't come to Canada. Heck, our best and brightest don't stay in Canada. We mostly get the second tier of talent. And of course those who want a easy visa to the West and are willing to pony up for a 1 yr diploma mill.

And if the current situation persists, you can bet that our education sector is only going to get a worse reputation and worse quality. Heck, I can only think of a literal handful of universities I'd consider sending my kids to, in Canada. Also, we're going right back to the 90s. Complete with a 60¢ dollar and engineers and doctors fleeing as quick as they can. So what's an education that is only going to get you a job in Canada even worth? If parents can swing it, better to send your kid to a decent American public university (like the UCs) than sending them to say Western or Queen's.

The best and brightest in the world go to the US or Europe. They mostly don't come to Canada. Heck, our best and brightest don't stay in Canada. We mostly get the second tier of talent. And of course those who want a easy visa to the West and are willing to pony up for a 1 yr diploma mill.

And if the current situation persists, you can bet that our education sector is only going to get a worse reputation and worse quality. Heck, I can only think of a literal handful of universities I'd consider sending my kids to, in Canada. Also, we're going right back to the 90s. Complete with a 60¢ dollar and engineers and doctors fleeing as quick as they can. So what's an education that is only going to get you a job in Canada even worth? If parents can swing it, better to send your kid to a decent American public university (like the UCs) than sending them to say Western or Queen's.

Again, while I tend to express things in somewhat more moderate terms, we're not really in disagreement.

I was merely noting that attracting and retaining the best and brightest in academia is a worthwhile goal that can absolutely be a win-win for all involved.

But that that is not what we're doing by and large.

U of T does attract some top tier talent and does have some globally leading programs (AI, would be among those w/the Vector Institute).

But that is an infinitely small portion of the foreign student contingent.

But that is the contingent we ought to be endeavouring to attract though quality programs and we ought to, at the very least, offer domestic tuition rates, if not full scholarships to those who we would seek
to add value to these types of programs.

As you note, what we are instead doing is pitching ourselves as the home of cheap labour, both in the entry level and in the branch-plant middle tier as well.

I don't agree w/the strategy and don't think it pays off.

I think its a lose-lose scenario for those we lure here, and those already here.

If parents can swing it, better to send your kid to a decent American public university (like the UCs) than sending them to say Western or Queen's.
I’m looking at sending my kids overseas for postgrad. On the condition that it’s career critical rather than just delaying adulthood.
U of T does attract some top tier talent and does have some globally leading programs (AI, would be among those w/the Vector Institute). But that is an infinitely small portion of the foreign student contingent.
My kids‘ friends didn’t bother to apply to UofT downtown campus as the rumour is that it’s most reserved for international students who want to feel that they’re at Hogwarts, and that Canadians go mostly to UofT Scarborough or Erindale.

An anecdote from my kid. Their friend is a Canadian-born of Chinese ethnicity. They speak some Chinese at home. At UofT Scarborough there are tons of PRC Chinese international students, and they bully our kids’ friend for not speaking proper Chinese, and in group work they exclude her.

I don’t think anything would change. We’d become like New Zealand, with little to no military.

Unlike New Zealand, if our allies told us to f*** off there would be intense pressure at home.

NATO and NORAD are well respected international organizations. If we got booted by a problem of our own making then we would look like buffons on the global stage.

My kids‘ friends didn’t bother to apply to UofT downtown campus as the rumour is that it’s most reserved for international students who want to feel that they’re at Hogwarts, and that Canadians go mostly to UofT Scarborough or Erindale.

While admittedly its been awhile since I attended St. George campus as a student, I am a regular visitor. I don't see any evidence that the rumour is true.

Hmmm,

I just looked it up:

1695988858812.png

Unlike New Zealand, if our allies told us to f*** off there would be intense pressure at home.

NATO and NORAD are well respected international organizations. If we got booted by a problem of our own making then we would look like buffons on the global stage.
IDK, would Canadians care? Trudeau has already made us buffoons on the global stage.

Back