News   Jun 21, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.9K     1 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Freeland out to announce on behalf of the Feds, that CMHC will back an additional 20B in mortgages each year, with low-interest loans, these funds to be used to finance purpose-built rental, seniors housing and student housing.

From the above:

View attachment 509301

@HousingNowTO will make note of this and dutifully ensure Abi Bond is all over it too!

Good policy. But also too little, too late. Especially when they keep immigration (especially non-permanent residents) elevated. None of these policies will be able to deliver a single unit that wasn't already planned, before 2025. I guess the CPC will enjoy taking credit for the fruits of these programs.

Accepted support then? He didn't have to retweet. That was a choice. And one that shows poor judgement.

Any sympathy I had for him, is gone, after this. Kinda shows that his lack of judgement and discretion is a pattern.

Yep - considering how badly he messed up - the correct thing to do is the shut up and disappear for awhile, instead of doubling down and made it all about him being the "victim".

AoD

From the Globe:

AoD
I'm not happy with the Indian influence on Canadian politics. I'm born in the UK, and yet never once considered organizing Brits in Canada to try to influence matters in the UK or to encourage Canada to pressure Britain to act in some way. I don't think Brits in Canada have any organization whatsoever, nor care much about what's happening in the UK, AFAIK. We just arrived in the 1960-80s, got to work and never looked back, the invisible immigrants. I'm all for Canada's immigration to being open to all ethnicities, nationalities and cultures, but I would like to see Canada appealing to more potential immigrants from outside of the subcontinent. Or at least restrict subcontinent candidates (and all origins for that matter) to those with in-demand skills, how many unskilled food and Amazon delivery guys do we need?

Last edited:
I'm not happy with the Indian influence on Canadian politics. I'm born in the UK, and yet never once considered organizing Brits in Canada to try to influence matters in the UK or to encourage Canada to pressure Britain to act in some way. I don't think Brits in Canada have any organization whatsoever, nor care much about what's happening in the UK, AFAIK. We just arrived in the 1960-80s, got to work and never looked back, the invisible immigrants. I'm all for Canada's immigration to being open to all ethnicities, nationalities and cultures, but I would like to see Canada appealing to more potential immigrants from outside of the subcontinent. Or at least restrict subcontinent candidates (and all origins for that matter) to those with in-demand skills, how many unskilled food and Amazon delivery guys do we need?
Many years ago Canada got away from the racist practice of having 'national quotas' and all immigration is based on points. OK, the system is not perfect but the way to fix it and attract immigrants who meet our current needs would be to adjust the number of points given for qualifications. Before you raise it, there are also family class immigrants who are admitted because they are close relatives of current residents and they often come with few relevant skills but would you really want to live ina country that made it almost impossible to bring close relatives with you?

Before you raise it, there are also family class immigrants who are admitted because they are close relatives of current residents and they often come with few relevant skills but would you really want to live in a country that made it almost impossible to bring close relatives with you?
Yes. Emphatically yes! Australia has very strict rules to limit immigrants from bringing their extended family. Otherwise, if ones grandparents want to move to Australia, they must apply like anyone else. Canada should want skilled immigrants and their children, that's it. When we moved to Canada in the 1970s we left the UK behind. If our grandparents or extended family in the UK wanted to see us, they could fly over for a visit or we to them. There was no expectation that our extended family would come live with us., they had their own homes and lives in the UK. And that's a big difference between encouraging emigration from the developing world vs the first world. My grandparents had middle class jobs, owned homes, had health insurance, pensions, etc. they didn't look to their adult children for financial support. Nowadays Canada seeks emigration solely from the developing world, where ones extended family might starve if the adult children leave them behind. But does Canada really benefit from hundreds of thousands of new unskilled newcomers from the developing world? How many DoorDash riders and Tim Hortons pourers do we need? And we should fix the student Visa racket. First of all, all colleges, universities or "institutes" should provide housing to their international students that is outside of the rental housing pool.

Last edited:
Before you raise it, there are also family class immigrants who are admitted because they are close relatives of current residents and they often come with few relevant skills but would you really want to live ina country that made it almost impossible to bring close relatives with you?

Unfortunately, it is quite common for PR Recipients and new citizens to sponsor their relatives who may not speak English or be able to contribute to Canadian society. They do this for health care and other benefits which they would otherwise not get at home.

I agree with the Admiral, if someone is to come here they need to apply just like everyone else to see if they meet the necessary requirements. I am sorry that everyone's relatives cannot come to Canada however an elderly relative who cannot contribute to society should not be allowed entry based on family sponsorship alone.

We need people who can contribute to Canadian society, not just be a burden on the system.

Too many colleges have become diploma mills for immigrants. My work throws out hundreds of job applicants we get from Conestoga College grads all the time. Reputable companies don't hire people from diploma mills.

You know we have too many people when you see huge line ups for entry level job openings like retail, grocery stores and fast food.

400 people recently lined up to apply for 7 positions at a South Asian Windsor supermarket​

For those lacking previews and the click-averse, the above is a clip of Federal Minister Miller who in answering in Question Period referred to Foreign Students as an asset that is very lucrative.

That is an all-too honest answer about how they are perceived by both the Federal and Provincial governments; one that omits the word 'exploited' and fails to consider the externalities on such things as housing.

Many years ago Canada got away from the racist practice of having 'national quotas' and all immigration is based on points.

Student visas aren't screened for points though. If you have admission, you get a visa. When you complete your education, you get a work permit. If you are able to show just a bit of experience in your field, you get residency.

This system entirely sidesteps the point system. We have strip mall diploma mills and regular college and university programs that are designed to specifically target those who want a quick path to residency. Just do a 1 yr Business Admin diploma at a community college, get a paper pushing job and you'll get your Work Permit and PR. This doesn't add nearly as much value as people think. I won't even get into the fraud this kind of system enables.

OK, the system is not perfect but the way to fix it and attract immigrants who meet our current needs would be to adjust the number of points given for qualifications.

When the intake of students is 50% higher than the intake of economic immigrants, what's the value of the point system?

Before you raise it, there are also family class immigrants who are admitted because they are close relatives of current residents and they often come with few relevant skills but would you really want to live ina country that made it almost impossible to bring close relatives with you?

Define close relatives. My parents are Indian. They moved here with us (their kids). They didn't move here with any of their parents or siblings or cousins or aunts or uncles. My grandmother was brought over on visits later. But she never actually moved here. Meanwhile, my parents' Punjabi neighbours have their parents here collecting OAS and full health benefits, having never paid a penny in taxes here in their lives. You are going to be surprised when you find out that a lot of hardworking immigrants (like my folks) see this as an abuse of the system. You shouldn't be able to move here with more than your spouse and children. Other dependants (like parents), should get long term visas with social and health costs supported by applicants.

Back