695     2 
News   Sep 20, 2021
 430     0 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

This issue is odd here. I'm emphatically pro-choice; I do see the problem in terms of limited access in NB, in that the service (abortion) is only offered in 2 urban regions (Moncton, and Bathurst).
The clinic in question is in Fredericton which is about 150km from Moncton.

For an adult, with a car, the distance isn't an unreasonable one to travel for such a service; of course, for a young woman without such, that could prove to be an enormous obstacle.
There are women in Ontario who face far larger distances to access services in remote parts of this province in particular.

If O'Toole or Trudeau want to make a real difference on this file, they should:

1) Fund universal, no-cost contraception.

2) Either allow no-prescription or consider allowing pharmacists to prescribe, so that access to a family doctor is not a barrier to contraception.
This would surely reduce the need for abortion services considerably, a good thing, I would hope, no matter one's politics.

That said, NB should probably fund the service in Fredericton, either in the local hospital or in a clinic; I don't see why that part matters, its access that matters.
Curiously, NB has no abortion services, so far as I'm aware in its largest city, Saint John.

A primer on abortion access across the country; in many provinces, its probably less than one would think:

1627687171368.png

from: https://www.actioncanadashr.org/res...-09-19-access-glance-abortion-services-canada

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score

Bjays92

Member Bio
Reaction score
Very interesting line of questions from the judge in the Meng case........

I just want them to extradite her and be done with it. It's up for Americas courts (which are free and independent) to determine if the accusations are enough to formally prosecute her and if the evidence is enough. That's not our job and it's never been the point of extradition hearings.

lenaitch

Member Bio
Reaction score
I just want them to extradite her and be done with it. It's up for Americas courts (which are free and independent) to determine if the accusations are enough to formally prosecute her and if the evidence is enough. That's not our job and it's never been the point of extradition hearings.

The role of the court in an extradition hearing, under the terms of the treaty, is to ensure that the allegations laid out in the factum ('record of the case') prepared by the US DOJ make out a 'prima facia' (on its face) crime if it were committed in Canada. As you say, proving the case at trial would be up to the US. As the Globe article states. it's a pretty low bar. One would think that the US documents would be air tight, but it seems it's not a lock. Frauds, by their very nature, are clandestine, and often convoluted and subtle, but one would hope a Supreme Court level justice could work through it. My humble opinion, from reading not a whole lot of the case, is that the offence was made out when she withheld or muddied information that would put HBC at risk. Whether the bank had the wherewithal or capacity to protect itself is immaterial for this process. But I 'tain't no lawyer.

Tough position. If the hearing is tossed, the US will be pissed (although likely less so under the current administration). If it goes through, I would expect China to sentence Kovrig the next day and possibly 're-sentence' Spavor. Oh, and say our wheat is the wrong colour.

Videodrome

Member Bio
Reaction score

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score

Here we go?

As a reminder, thread for the upcoming election exists here:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/44th-canadian-federal-election.32521/

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Yes, that just leaves Alberta and ONTARIO. Doug had best move his (fat) ass!

I certainly agree he needs to get a move on...........but just to be completely accurate, New Brunswick hasn't signed up yet, also missing 2 of the territories.

So its 8 deals across 10 provinces and 3 territories.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
New Nanos poll could be an outlier.............but has the Libs down 5 to under 34 %. Cons picked up most of that going to over 28, w/NDP just shy of 21%.

If those numbers hold, its unlikely that the Libs could get a majority.

Richard White

Member Bio
Reaction score
New Nanos poll could be an outlier.............but has the Libs down 5 to under 34 %. Cons picked up most of that going to over 28, w/NDP just shy of 21%.

If those numbers hold, its unlikely that the Libs could get a majority.

I wouldn't be surprised if JT held off on calling an election until cases declined a bit.

It may come back to haunt them.

Admiral Beez

Member Bio
Reaction score
Elections Canada is more than capable of setting up online, mail-in or other Covid safe voting.

Regardless, I predict a JT majority, the Greens lose both seats, the NDP is decimated, and the Cons hold or gain a little.