News   Apr 18, 2024
 750     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.3K     2 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Here we go?

As a reminder, thread for the upcoming election exists here:

https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/44th-canadian-federal-election.32521/

Yes, that just leaves Alberta and ONTARIO. Doug had best move his (fat) ass!

I certainly agree he needs to get a move on...........but just to be completely accurate, New Brunswick hasn't signed up yet, also missing 2 of the territories.

So its 8 deals across 10 provinces and 3 territories.

Last edited:
Reactions: DSC
New Nanos poll could be an outlier.............but has the Libs down 5 to under 34 %. Cons picked up most of that going to over 28, w/NDP just shy of 21%.

If those numbers hold, its unlikely that the Libs could get a majority.

New Nanos poll could be an outlier.............but has the Libs down 5 to under 34 %. Cons picked up most of that going to over 28, w/NDP just shy of 21%.

If those numbers hold, its unlikely that the Libs could get a majority.

I wouldn't be surprised if JT held off on calling an election until cases declined a bit.

It may come back to haunt them.

Elections Canada is more than capable of setting up online, mail-in or other Covid safe voting.

Regardless, I predict a JT majority, the Greens lose both seats, the NDP is decimated, and the Cons hold or gain a little.

Elections Canada is more than capable of setting up online, mail-in or other Covid safe voting.

Regardless, I predict a JT majority, the Greens lose both seats, the NDP is decimated, and the Cons hold or gain a little

If the NDP do get decimated I hope they finally come to their senses and drop Jagmeet.

Abacus Data out w/new polling this AM.

They have the Libs up by 9

Rather than post the top-line data slide, I thought I would post these 2, as particularly interesting.

1629033729112.png

But this one is equally interesting:

1629033797638.png

Note that angry people are more likely to vote than content people.

Taking the these together, with the top line data, and other slides at the Abacus website........

I'm inclined to still say Advantage Liberals.

That said......That 43% bares watching....

There's some analysis up on the Abacus site as well, worth a look-see.

I can't see many people being truly upset at an election at this time. Last year was too chaotic, but the situation Canada finds itself it has significantly changed from the last election and there are choices that we need to make about how to proceed, particularly with a sharp negative turn in our fiscal situation. Of course, the CPC has completely bungled their positioning on this matter. O'Toole could have neutralized the environment file by saying they would adopt essentially the same policy as Trudeau, and instead focused on how we put the country on a sounder fiscal footing. Proposing a gimmicky greenwashed carbon pricing scheme just makes them look unserious and shifty.

….particularly with a sharp negative turn in our fiscal situation.
After fighting Covid and keeping the people solvent for closing on two years, Canada’s fiscal situation is better than many developed countries. On top of that our Covid hospitalization and vaccination numbers are amongst the best.

In 2007 and 2008 when I was on the Scarborough Southwest NDP Riding Executive we had parachute candidates. I strongly opposed it.

We had Jay Sarkar (provincial) in 2007 and Alamgir Hussein (federal) in 2008.

None of them lived in the riding and the only reason they were put there was to appeal to the ethnic minority in the riding. The Riding President and other long-standing exec members saw it as a way to bring in money and win a crucial demographic.

The candidates weren't from Scarborough Southwest and had no connection to the area. I opposed it because I knew the average voter wouldn't relate and that the minority they were targeting primarily consisted of PRs who wouldn't be able to vote.

My thinking was to bring in a more relatable candidate who would appeal to voters. Once we lost miserably they did just that and brought in Dan Harris for 2011 and won.

I ended up getting ostracized within the Executive for not following the party line so to speak but in the end I was vindicated.

Jay Sarkar was a manufacturer of defence related products in Vaughan while at the time Alamgir ran a newspaper called the Weekly Shomoy.

Something interesting to note about Alamgir was the cover-up by the Scarborough Southwest Riding Exec and Federal NDP HQ.

Apparently Alamgir was taking cash donations of various sizes, depositing it into his account and writing personal cheques in the amounts he received. Those cheques were then sent off to the bank and put in the party/riding coffers.

It wasn't until an audit was done after the election that it was found he violated a few laws. It was quickly swept under the rug to avoid a PR disaster.

In 2014 you had Alex Wilson running provincially in Scarborough Agincourt while he ran in Scarborough Centre federally in 2015 both for the NDP. Alex was another candidate who was parachuted in when the NDP needed someone.

He didn't care what riding he ran in, he was part of the NDP cult.

My point is that parachute candidates don't work which is why I'm strongly against them.

To win an election you need name recognition which is why Dan Harris won in Scarborough Southwest (Orange wave notwithstanding).

Parachute Candidates don't know squat about the riding or its problems and the locals can see that.

Hey, I’m in Toronto Centre and the Liberals don’t even go through the motions of nomination meetings. The last MP we had lived two ridings away. The one we have now was appointed just weeks after the last one resigned in disgrace with a snap byelection called to install her.

After fighting Covid and keeping the people solvent for closing on two years, Canada’s fiscal situation is better than many developed countries. On top of that our Covid hospitalization and vaccination numbers are amongst the best.
That can all be true, and yet our public debt jumped more than it has since WW2. It can have been the right thing to do, and something we need to address moving forward.

Back