News   Apr 18, 2024
 589     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

PM Justin Trudeau's Canada

Giving $12 million to a billion dollar company who scammed the Canadian consumer for years with their price fixing on bread scam and fought minimum wage increases.....Unbelievable :mad:

Federal government will give Loblaws $12 million to make their fridges more energy efficient

Essentially, I think it centers on requiring a vote of caucus to kick someone out.
Some Liberal MPs are saying that they agreed to let Trudeau make those decisions ... but do they have the right to do that? *notalawyereither*
Another legal prerequisite appears to have surfaced, I'll link it here when I trip across it, but meanwhile:
https://www.straight.com/news/12253...r-calls-party-probe-expulsion-wilson-raybould
A high-level ruling that introduces a wedge into the principle of prosecutorial discretion has wide-ranging implications for the administration of justice.
Absolutely. And I don't think it will happen, but if it does, it throws Canada's signed agreement with the OECD out the window...if not in violation of 'international' law, as however that pertains to the OECD.

Although old news now, it's time to review the OECD's concern:
11/03/2019 - The OECD Working Group on Bribery is concerned by recent allegations of interference in the prosecution of SNC-Lavalin that are subject to proceedings in the House of Commons Standing Committee on Justice and Human Rights. The Canadian engineering and construction group is the subject of an ongoing prosecution into allegations of the bribery of Libyan officials to obtain a Can$ 58-million contract to restore a water pipeline.​

As a Party to the Anti-Bribery Convention, Canada is fully committed to complying with the Convention, which requires prosecutorial independence in foreign bribery cases pursuant to Article 5. In addition, political factors such as a country’s national economic interest and the identity of the alleged perpetrators must not influence foreign bribery investigations and prosecutions.

In February 2019, two procedures were swiftly launched in Canada to respond to the allegations of political pressure. The Federal Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commission opened an investigation into potential violation of Canada’s Conflict of Interest Act, and the Parliamentary Commons Justice Committee initiated a Parliamentary inquiry. The OECD Working Group on Bribery is encouraged by these processes, and notes that the Canadian authorities stress that they are transparent and independent. The Working Group recognises Canada’s willingness to keep it fully informed of developments in the proceedings, including at its next meeting in June 2019.

The OECD Working Group, which brings together the 44 Parties to the Anti-Bribery Convention, will closely monitor Canada’s updates, and has also sent a letter to the Canadian authorities confirming its concerns and next steps in this matter.

For further information, journalists are invited to contact Daisy Pelham of the OECD's Anti-Corruption's Division (+33 (0)1 45 24 90 81).
http://www.oecd.org/canada/oecd-wil...terference-in-foreign-bribery-prosecution.htm
Canada's not looking good in the int'l press at this time at all. To take that down even more by abrogating int'l legal commitments is pure madness. And Trudeau appears hell-bent on doing anything to save face, while spiting it at the same time.

He may not be able to rule, but that doesn't mean her concerns aren't valid. And if they govern themselves, why is it addressed in the Parliament of Canada Act? Or, why doesn't it just say that? There are some very specific sections there. #stillnotalawyer
Not a lawyer either, but here is my count.

Conflict of Interest Act: Section 5 - General duty - Guilty
Conflict of Interest Act: Section 11 - Gifts and other advantages - Guilty
Conflict of Interest Act: Section 12 - Travel - Guilty
Conflict of Interest Act: Section 21 - Duty to recuse - Guilty
Conflict of Interest Act: Section 23 - Disclosure of gifts - Guilty
Criminal Code of Canada: Section 139(1) - Obstruction of Justice - Pending
Parliament Act of Canada - Section 49.2 - Expulsion of caucus member - Pending
Parliament Act of Canada - Section 49.8 - Caucus Vote - Pending

Am I missing anything?

Am I missing anything?

Oh, I forgot. There is also an open investigation into another Ethics investigation.

It's being conducted by federal Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner Mario Dion’s senior lawyer, Martine Richard, who just happens to be the sister-in-law of Liberal Cabinet Minister Daniel LeBlanc.

Interestingly, Mr. Dion was chosen by the Trudeau Cabinet after a secretive, Cabinet-controlled process that failed to consult with opposition parties as required by the Parliament of Canada Act , Section

Conflict of Interest Act: Section 9 - Influence - Pending
Parliament Act of Canada - Section 81 - Appointment of Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner - Pending

Trudeau suing Scheer for lying shows Trudeau is becoming a bit Unhingged.

Trudeau has an issue of lying himself so he just scoring own goals on himself.

Its nearing Mid April and its daily headlines about this issue.

Giving $12 million to a billion dollar company who scammed the Canadian consumer for years with their price fixing on bread scam and fought minimum wage increases.....Unbelievable :mad:

Federal government will give Loblaws $12 million to make their fridges more energy efficient

The Liberals really seem to have lost the plot.

Who thought this was a good idea for a press conference?

They could have just quietly given them the money (even if I disagree with giving Loblaws this money) as part of this incentive program.

Plus what is the deal with McKenna. I want to give her the benefit of the doubt be she always sounds so dumb when she talks about Environmental issues. They couldn't find someone better for this portfolio?

I think the Liberal version of the plot is that they can change the channel from SNC to the idea that they’re saving us from the climate apocalypse and descent into alt-right fascism that will happen - they imply - if we elect the Conservatives. Of course, putting SNC back on the front page by threatening to sue Scheer for libel doesn’t exactly confirm my hypothesis...

Last edited:

Am I missing anything?

You cite five determinations of guilt. Can you point to media links or something similar? I must have missed them. As mentioned, the success of a Criminal Code conviction would be nebulous, given that a key witness has stated, on record, that she didn't think anything illegal occurred.

Or are we talking about the court of (some) public opinion?

You cite five determinations of guilt. Can you point to media links or something similar? I must have missed them. As mentioned, the success of a Criminal Code conviction would be nebulous, given that a key witness has stated, on record, that she didn't think anything illegal occurred.

Or are we talking about the court of (some) public opinion?
If you didn't know this - I assume you were out of the country for the past few years.

4 counts related to the Aga Khan (pick your link).

1 count after on accepting gift without declaring.

If you didn't know this - I assume you were out of the country for the past few years.

4 counts related to the Aga Khan (pick your link).

1 count after on accepting gift without declaring.

Thanks for that (albeit a tad snarky). I was taking a more judicial interpretation of the words "count" and "guilty". The ethics commissioner can only wag an administrative finger. Similarly, I can find no general offence section or even process for the 'caucus expulsion thing' unless it's buried in another statute. Other than the Speaker making some kind of procedural ruling, if some are expecting the RCMP to bust through the PMOs door or seeing the PM dragged down to the Elgin St. courthouse may be disappointed. It seems the only fallout will be political.

Thanks for that (albeit a tad snarky). I was taking a more judicial interpretation of the words "count" and "guilty". The ethics commissioner can only wag an administrative finger. Similarly, I can find no general offence section or even process for the 'caucus expulsion thing' unless it's buried in another statute. Other than the Speaker making some kind of procedural ruling, if some are expecting the RCMP to bust through the PMOs door or seeing the PM dragged down to the Elgin St. courthouse may be disappointed. It seems the only fallout will be political.

Sorry to be snarky, but you must be out of the country this week too :). It was just discussed 2 days ago. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/pm-justin-trudeaus-canada.24514/post-1438093

It's called the Parliament of Canada Act. It's not a speakers ruling, it's not a policy memo or a procedural norm. It's the highest form of law in the country - Legislation, an Act.

(Similar thing for the Ethics Act violations. He was found guilty by the exact person who has authority to rule on the Act.

Sorry to be snarky, but you must be out of the country this week too :). It was just discussed 2 days ago. https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/pm-justin-trudeaus-canada.24514/post-1438093

It's called the Parliament of Canada Act. It's not a speakers ruling, it's not a policy memo or a procedural norm. It's the highest form of law in the country - Legislation, an Act.

(Similar thing for the Ethics Act violations. He was found guilty by the exact person who has authority to rule on the Act.

I understand that, but where is the section related to a sanctioning person or body? The section of the Parliament of Canada Act outlines the statutory procedure, but I can find no section that creates an offence or provides a penalty (that Act has a couple but they relate to specific sections). Legislation has to create an offence to initiate a judicial or even quasi-judicial proceeding (they are usually worded as 'anyone who contravenes Section x . . . is guilty of . . . ). It could well be buried in a federal statutory procedures act; IDK.
To the best of my knowledge, the Ethics Commissioner made findings of violation. Apologies were offered but I don't know if they were ordered. At least that legislation (Conflict of Interest Act) has a 'complaint process', a person to whom a complaint would be directed and contains a number of offence sections and a range of administrative and monetary penalties for some offences.

Back