News   Apr 16, 2024
 299     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 369     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 727     0 

Planned Sprawl in the GTA

Here is an industrial park near Rotterdam. Single lane in each direction, and separate bike path! Sorry Beez!

I think there is definitely room to make ROWs more compact and reduce setbacks.
Note the use of "truck aprons". They allow long trailers to go over the corners.
1636469974496.png

Just to drop this random note somewhere..........

In the presser issued this morning by the province touting building of the 413...........this is said:

1636561985584.png

The Hemson forecast in 2020 (for 2051) was 14.2M; sounds like they've bumped it again.

Just checked..........yes indeed........

14,870,000 is the most current forecast by the Province for the GGH in 2021.

A bump of over 600,000 in a single year's change.....

Last edited:
At some point we need to make a stand to protect valuable farmlands, and encourage underutilized agricultural lands to be used again.
The issue of food security is going to continue to grow and grow, and destroying this asset now will hurt tremendously in the coming decades.
If people want Canada to grow by millions of people, then protecting agricultural lands become even more important.

At some point we need to make a stand to protect valuable farmlands, and encourage underutilized agricultural lands to be used again.
The issue of food security is going to continue to grow and grow, and destroying this asset now will hurt tremendously in the coming decades.
If people want Canada to grow by millions of people, then protecting agricultural lands become even more important.
Those "millions of people" could end up living in former sprawling parking lots and the sprawling, single-use buildings. Converting those wasteful real estate will be able to absorb those new people.

I think wopchop meant encouraging agricultural land for farming, not sprawl.
Exactly right.
One of the consistent arguments of those on the side of pro greenfield development is that these lands are being left fallow, so they should be put to better use.
That is happening partially because our society is making it uneconomical for farmers to operate.
As a society we should be questioning why that is happening and trying to reverse that.
Farming should be viewed as a strategic asset of national significance.

I suspect vertical farming and fermentation may significantly reduce need for cropland, allowing rewilding to take place. Progress is being made in making starch and protein using fermentation and renewable electricity. If nothing else it could be used as animal feed.

I suspect vertical farming and fermentation may significantly reduce need for cropland, allowing rewilding to take place. Progress is being made in making starch and protein using fermentation and renewable electricity. If nothing else it could be used as animal feed.
There are lots of studies and reviews online around the pros and cons of vertical farming. So far, it seems economic viability hasn't moved past 'leafy greens and herbs'. I don't know how it will evolve, but energy requirements for heat/light and humidity control seem to be current issues, particularly in a climate such as ours.

Around the GTA, it might actually work against efforts to control sprawl. "Rewilding" would likely not be one of options for land no longer needed for agriculture.

There are lots of studies and reviews online around the pros and cons of vertical farming. So far, it seems economic viability hasn't moved past 'leafy greens and herbs'. I don't know how it will evolve, but energy requirements for heat/light and humidity control seem to be current issues, particularly in a climate such as ours.

Around the GTA, it might actually work against efforts to control sprawl. "Rewilding" would likely not be one of options for land no longer needed for agriculture.
Already happening...

How To Grow Tomatoes On A Balcony

From link.
Here are the steps for growing tomatoes on a balcony –

1. Determine if you have enough sun
  2. Gather your materials
  3. Make sure your pots and plants can withstand wind gusts
  4. Feed and water your plants
  5. Support plants as they grow
  6. Harvest

Already happening...

How To Grow Tomatoes On A Balcony

From link.
Here are the steps for growing tomatoes on a balcony –

1. Determine if you have enough sun
  2. Gather your materials
  3. Make sure your pots and plants can withstand wind gusts
  4. Feed and water your plants
  5. Support plants as they grow
  6. Harvest
I'm not exactly sure how a balcony garden is anyway camparable to vertical farming. Gardening on a balcony is little different than gardening in a backyard - pretty much only the venue is different. Vertical farming happens indoors, with artificial temperature and moisture control and artificial or natural light (or a combination of) and, to be any kind of replacement for traditional farming, needs to happen on an industrial scale. One particular problem with trying to grow some crops indoors is the need for pollination. Inside, there are no insects or winds to do that.

I'm not exactly sure how a balcony garden is anyway camparable to vertical farming. Gardening on a balcony is little different than gardening in a backyard - pretty much only the venue is different. Vertical farming happens indoors, with artificial temperature and moisture control and artificial or natural light (or a combination of) and, to be any kind of replacement for traditional farming, needs to happen on an industrial scale. One particular problem with trying to grow some crops indoors is the need for pollination. Inside, there are no insects or winds to do that.

A couple of notes here, I essentially agree with the above, but will add some caveats below.

But on the subject of balcony growing.............as you might imagine, I have a few plants most years......

My balcony is 88ft2. I typically have about 88 plants (and still squeeze in room for 2 chairs and a table!) ....

I have been astounded at my growing season length this year.........it really is growing.

The tomatoes are long gone, but as of today (Nov 21st) my Portuguese Pepper plant is still growing peppers, albeit more slowly than in August.....
I assume tonight's frost may be its demise......but then again, I thought that a month ago.
I also still have harvestable (growing) Fresh Chives, Thyme, Rosemary and Mint.
Some combination of a more favourable climate and breeding to tolerate ever greater extremes would seem to be at work.

(Basil, Lettuces, Tomatoes and Corn are all long departed, but all made it well into October :O )

On vertical farming...........you are quite correct that its most efficient for herbs and lettuces and the like........at this point.
But its worth saying, advances are coming along at a quick-pace.

I may discuss this more in a dedicated thread at some point.

Indeed, but there is a larger trend towards single level greenhouses which still produce far higher yields (I’ve read up to 15x per acre) than open field Agriculture with higher quality food products to boot.

There is a reason greenhouses are exploding in construction around Leamington:

I've thought for awhile that our sprawling industrial employment lands in Scarborough and elsewhere could become vertical farms one day when the energy efficiency, profitability, and productivity were in place.

Would bring food production close to market and near a large employment base of both skilled and unskilled labour.

Zoning wouldn't permit it however. :p

Back