News   Jul 16, 2024
 92     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 842     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 974     1 

Planned School Closures by the TDSB

Without the secularization of Quebec society due to QR, do you really think that the abolition would have happened? We don't have anything here in Ontario that would see the Catholic boards as fundamentally disposable.
I don't think Quebec or Newfoundland today is any more secular than Ontario.

I used to agree with you on the benefits of a single system, but I have less faith in the people in charge now. Those in the Ministry of Education and TDSB aren't exactly big on allowing different streams of thought within the public system.

... and those in a faith-based catholic system are?

I'm just not sure i understand your logic here, it's like saying 'I used to agree with women having the vote, but i have less faith in the electorate now so I don't agree anymore'. Why would a better run unethical system be preferable to a flawed ethical one? Fix the ethical one!!

Generally speaking, the current system is explicitly constitutional [...] That's why John Tory proposed funding for all faith-based schools - because Ontario is constitutionally prohibited from revoking funding for Catholic schools.

Tory's proposal was a political miscalculation, and we know the disastrous outcome. He didn't anticipate that most people understood what a behemoth of cost his proposal would be (not to mention a nightmare of cultural segregation), that the only real option for reform is to abolish the catholic school board, that if you can't fund them all you shouldn't fund any... as for constitutionality, yes technically it is protected as a 'privilege'. It is an archaic protection, however, and likely in violation of the charter. Other provinces have overridden it and it is time for Ontario to do so too.

I would support a charter/voucher system as long as it excluded faith-based schools, but that isn't a popular view either.

So you are advocating for what would essentially be a funded two-tiered education system? If you want private school why not pay for it? Why do you feel that tax-payers owe you something better than what they themselves might have access to? Look, I understand that it takes a lot of integrity to renounce one's unearned privileges in society but in the end isn't this the kind of society you'd rather live and raise children in?? It would be for me.

So you are advocating for what would essentially be a funded two-tiered education system? If you want private school why not pay for it? Why do you feel that tax-payers owe you something better than what they themselves might have access to? Look, I understand that it takes a lot of integrity to renounce one's unearned privileges in society but in the end isn't this the kind of society you'd rather live and raise children in?? It would be for me.

I don't think a voucher based system is necessarily two-tiers. Diversity in school typology need not translate into private funding. Besides, schools in the public system aren't exactly equal, given the rising importance of fundraising basically meant that some schools are more deprived financially than others.

AoD

I don't think a voucher based system is necessarily two-tiers. Diversity in school typology need not translate into private funding. Besides, schools in the public system aren't exactly equal, given the rising importance of fundraising basically meant that some schools are more deprived financially than others.

AoD

Indeed, we already have a two-tiered system in that people can buy their way (through a house purchase) into a school district full of other motivated parents. It's not necessarily tied to income (more like the parent's attitudes towards the importance of education) but money does play a big part. That's one of the reasons that many schools in low income areas are under capacity - parents with children, who naturally want their best for their own children, choose not to live within the catchment area of bad schools.

On trying to fix the public system: I'm a realist and prefer not to do things akin to banging my head against the wall.

Agree with Tewder - and besides, the original rationale for having a separate, public funded Catholic system don't really stands up the realities of the 21st century - it has become a quasi-private tier of education. Perhaps what we need is education reform - centralizing public funding while devolving pedagogical approaches (within provincially set bounds) to individual schools (or better yet cluster of schools).
What do you mean by quasi-private tier? I'm asking because for example my nephew went to a catholic high school in Ontario and didn't pay a cent.

He didn't take any religion classes either. They tried to make him, but he refused, and his mother threatened to take it up with the province, so the school backed down because legally they can't actually force anyone to take religion classes.

Tory's proposal was a political miscalculation, and we know the disastrous outcome. He didn't anticipate that most people understood what a behemoth of cost his proposal would be (not to mention a nightmare of cultural segregation), that the only real option for reform is to abolish the catholic school board, that if you can't fund them all you shouldn't fund any... as for constitutionality, yes technically it is protected as a 'privilege'. It is an archaic protection, however, and likely in violation of the charter. Other provinces have overridden it and it is time for Ontario to do so too.
I'd like to think most people were against it mainly because people want a universal system that puts everyone (in theory) on equal ground.

In any case, the so called strictness of the Catholic system is, from my perspective, an utter myth beyond the superficial conformity required of the students (i.e. school uniforms). Certainly, the behaviour of students outside the school environment suggests to me that approach is ineffective.
Just FYI, the TSDB high school for my neighbourhood has mandatory school uniforms.

Just FYI, the TSDB high school for my neighbourhood has mandatory school uniforms.

RH King? It's the only public school I know of with a dress code uniform though.

And as AoD, mentioned uniforms don't make them any better outside of school grounds.

RH King? It's the only public school I know of with a dress code uniform though.

And as AoD, mentioned uniforms don't make them any better outside of school grounds.
Vaughan Road Academy is a TDSB high school (and is on the school closure list) that has mandatory uniforms. I am a former student of that school.

By the way, the public (secular) school board and the public Catholic school board should merge into a single public secular school board, and all faith-based schools (regardless of faith) should be privately funded.

Last edited:
I don't know about that - I think the attachment to Catholic education is quite strong in some VisMin quarters here in Ontario.

AoD

It isn't just in "VisMin quarters". I'm a non-practicing Catholic, went to Catholic high school & elementary. My family and in-laws are all Catholic of the European variety. A lot of my friends and people that I know are Catholic. I think that you would be surprised by how much support there actually is among holiday Catholics for the Catholic school board. Many perceive it to be a better school board than the public one, based on hearsay and anecdotal evidence of course, but that perception does exist (especially among catholic boomers) and it translates into support and votes.

The argument that amending the constitution is a constraint on this issue is nonsense. Since it only affects Ontario, assent is only required from the Federal government and Ontario itself. The Feds would be in no position to deny such an amendment, as they already set a precedent when they did the exact same thing for Quebec in 1997. But I don't expect anything to change, as there is no appetite for it among the electorate. I do expect that sometime in the future a case will go to the Superior Court based on funding another faith-based school.

ETA
On the subject of non-catholics attending catholic school, I grew up with non-catholics who went to both catholic elementary and high school. It is a lot easier to enroll as a non-catholic at a catholic high school, then it is to enroll at a catholic elementary school. But this is slowly changing, as I think now that approximately half of the catholic elementary boards in the province will admit non-catholics without making you jump through hoops (ie. prove that at least one parent or grandparent was catholic). On the flip side, no board in the province can stop you from enrolling in a catholic high school for being non-catholic, and confirmed in court as of last year, no catholic high school board can compel you to attend liturgy or take religious classes.

Last edited:
It isn't just in "VisMin quarters". I'm a non-practicing Catholic, went to Catholic high school & elementary. My family and in-laws are all Catholic of the European variety. A lot of my friends and people that I know are Catholic. I think that you would be surprised by how much support there actually is among holiday Catholics for the Catholic school board. Many perceive it to be a better school board than the public one, based on hearsay and anecdotal evidence of course, but that perception does exist (especially among catholic boomers) and it translates into support and votes.

Sorry I already revised that observation :)

Visible Minorities, though on second thought, ethnic communities might be a more accurate term.

AoD

Back