News   May 02, 2024
 261     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 163     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 214     0 

Pickering Airport (Transport Canada/GTAA, Proposed)

First time long time of this thread. I grew up in the Pickering airport lands. This is prime farmland that is increasingly scarce in the Toronto area. To suggest that we should just destroy it for the sake of an airport that would become another Mirabel is irresponsible.

I am at my parents house as write this. The closest major highway is the 407. There is no higher order transit. Any airport here would be very difficult to access for most people outside of Durham and parts of York region.

When you look at the current trends in airport construction around the globe, it is the consolidation of all passenger traffic into single giant mega airports. Having multiple airports is not attractive to passengers as making connections is really annoying. I have had to cross New York before and Paris to make a connection. It sucks. At least those cities have well developed transit systems that go to their airports.

Pearson has room to expand. There is no business case for a Pickering airport. It’s a bad idea in every possible sense and the only people it would benefit are developers who would cash in on the increased land value.
Welcome to the party! We are having lots of fun on this thread!

I don't think any of his friends are on here.
I got to admit it is not hard finding friends when You mention $13 billion a year in economic activity, or 50,000 new jobs. Mention the $500 million a year Pickering airport will generate in federal and local taxes and everyone just ask when does it open. A forgone conclusion.

but you don’t learn as much from the supporters of a project as you can from a thoughtful critic. so as some of you have guessed I am not here looking for support, I am here to see if any diehard critics, can find a hole. Some of you have had some good thoughts, others not so much, I am open to suggestions and ideas.

I got to admit it is not hard finding friends when You mention $13 billion a year in economic activity, or 50,000 new jobs. Mention the $500 million a year Pickering airport will generate in federal and local taxes and everyone just ask when does it open. A forgone conclusion.

but you don’t learn as much from the supporters of a project as you can from a thoughtful critic. so as some of you have guessed I am not here looking for support, I am here to see if any diehard critics, can find a hole. Some of you have had some good thoughts, others not so much, I am open to suggestions and ideas.

Hopefully, you are honest about listening to us. That would be the only thing I ask.

what is the relationship between Trees and Pickering airport? Plant a tree to reduce CO2 or improve efficiency With a new airport?

How about both? what is possible , 2 billion, 10 billion trees? To what degree will it help?

what is the relationship between Trees and Pickering airport? Plant a tree to reduce CO2 or improve efficiency With a new airport?

How about both? what is possible , 2 billion, 10 billion trees? To what degree will it help?

Well, if you cover the entire area that would be the airport, you would do some good. Although, it is a farmer's field, so maybe just leave it as farmland and feed people.

I think that the money spent in air travel in short routes is better spent on HER and eventually, HSR. Also, get bigger planes. There is still room for expansion (See the GTAA Master Plan).

@MarkBrooks isn't happy with the master plan.

nothing wrong with an aggressive master plan for Pearson. I use its capacity numbers In all our calculations, which is why myself and others are 100% sure Pearson will be 100% full by the time we get Pickering open at the end of this decade.

10 years from kick off this spring to passenger operation. we have not a moment to loose!

welcome to the decade of the big squeeze at Pearson.

nothing wrong with an aggressive master plan for Pearson. I use its capacity numbers In all our calculations, which is why myself and others are 100% sure Pearson will be 100% full by the time we get Pickering open at the end of this decade.

10 years from kick off this spring to passenger operation. we have not a moment to loose!

Or, the big expansion of other modes of transportation to ease YYZ. In fact, this might be the time that other existing airports are used to take the stress off of YYZ. A new runway is not very environmentally friendly, and we are entering a time of having a solid environmental plan is the only way to get elected.

Sitting on the north-eastern fringe of the GGHA, Pickering seems like the wrong location for a new international airport. It should be in a more central position so as to benefit more people who live within a 1 hour drive radius. From my limited perspective it makes a ton more sense to massively expand Pearson (two more piers + huge transit terminal/processing center + new runway) over the next two decades and consider additions to an existing airport like Hamilton. There are plenty of airports in the world with smaller footprints than Pearson that handle much more traffic.

Additionally, the economic benefit argument is a non-starter since it equally applies to any large new chunk of infrastructure--whether it be HSR, a new subway line or an airport expansion. The only difference is who pockets the benefits from said infrastructure project. (Which is why corrupt, authoritarian states LOVE giant new airports while free market democracies rarely attempt them any more--seriously, are there any new international airports being built in N America?) Anyway, I digress. As a non expert on these matters I'll leave it at that, and wait for stronger arguments to alter my current position.

On edit: sorry michael_can, didn't mean to parrot what you said; just saw your post after I posted mine. =/

Last edited:
Sitting on the north-eastern fringe of the GGHA, Pickering seems like the wrong location for a new international airport. It should be in a more central position so as to benefit more people who live within a 1 hour drive radius. From my limited perspective it makes a ton more sense to massively expand Pearson (two more piers + huge transit terminal/processing center + new runway) over the next two decades and consider additions to an existing airport like Hamilton. There are plenty of airports in the world with smaller footprints than Pearson that handle much more traffic.

Additionally, the economic benefit argument is a non-starter since it equally applies to any large new chunk of infrastructure--whether it be HSR, a new subway line or an airport expansion. The only difference is who pockets the benefits from said infrastructure project. (Which is why corrupt, authoritarian states LOVE giant new airports while free market democracies rarely attempt them any more--seriously, are there any new international airports being built in N America?) Anyway, I digress. As a non expert on these matters I'll leave it at that, and wait for stronger arguments to alter my current position.

On edit: sorry michael_can, didn't mean to parrot what you said; just saw your post after I posted mine. =/

If we are all saying the same thing, maybe he will understand that now is not the time for an airport in a farmer's field in Pickering. Fifty years ago, maybe, but not now.

Back