News   Mar 28, 2024
 262     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 246     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 285     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

Some pictures from the Line 4 station at Ottawa Airport. Looks like quality material to match airport structure. Seen here interior connection at north end of Air terminal. Bridge to station. Exterior of station from departures ramp - and from parking structure.
936F5E76-9747-4B89-898C-D1B87CE2D5C4.jpeg
E8995E7D-2284-418E-A687-3861B917AB5E.jpeg
4FA5FEE3-694E-40AD-B324-1C4BEB2A7B11.jpeg
B4FEB1CA-21B5-4360-8278-45B1321789B6.jpeg
23AFCBDA-397A-40EA-9001-906526C7B25A.jpeg
0EE60A19-A093-4F1E-BAF1-B7BD6C2F89B5.jpeg
32A3CC32-1E75-4D13-AFD1-9964B196D672.jpeg
3DE80913-76FA-4121-B6EF-BBBDD02B2AEF.jpeg

I have yet to see anyone draw up a realistic plan for getting the tramway across the bridge, building platforms at Rideau, and getting around the corner onto Sussex. With bike lanes and improved pedestrian space of course. Then run it through a traffic simulator to show how anything will move at an acceptable pace. It just falls apart.

A true rapid transit connection between downtown Ottawa and Gatineau would involve a tunnel under the Ottawa River, which is not going to happen.

A true rapid transit connection between downtown Ottawa and Gatineau would involve a tunnel under the Ottawa River, which is not going to happen.
Technically no, the prince of wales bridge is still there.

Technically it's still there, but Ottawa gave it the death nail from a rail corridor perspective:

Not really. I don't think its unlikely that it will be reconverted back to rail some day, or have rail run alongside it. The Rapidbus corridor is found on the other side of the bridge. Theoretically, if Gatineau ever chooses to convert the Rapidbus to rail, the bridge could easily be used to combine it with the Trillium Line.

Not really. I don't think its unlikely that it will be reconverted back to rail some day, or have rail run alongside it. The Rapidbus corridor is found on the other side of the bridge. Theoretically, if Gatineau ever chooses to convert the Rapidbus to rail, the bridge could easily be used to combine it with the Trillium Line.
Agreed it's still on the table as a secondary connection for one service or another.

As for a tunnel (or why not a low level bridge) between Portage and the parking lot below the end of Bank Street, the NCC kind of asked why this was ruled out so quickly, when bridge capacity is going to be stretched. To me a (pretty) bridge and short tunnel under Bank to Queen solves a lot of problems.

Last edited:
Agreed it's still on the table as a secondary connection for one service or another.

As for a tunnel (or why not a low level bridge between Portage and the parking lot below the end of Bank Street, the NCC kind of asked why this was ruled out so quickly, when bridge capacity is going to be stretched. To me a (pretty) bridge and short tunnel under Bank to Queen solves a lot of problems.
Of course, the people who would not use it will want the cheapest and ugliest possible.

As for a tunnel (or why not a low level bridge) between Portage and the parking lot below the end of Bank Street, the NCC kind of asked why this was ruled out so quickly, when bridge capacity is going to be stretched. To me a (pretty) bridge and short tunnel under Bank to Queen solves a lot of problems.
Heaven forbid that we start building a tunnel under Bank Street. It might give some the idea of extending that tunnel southward towards Billings Bridge, an idea that some Line 1 supporters pooh-pooh. It would be better to invest in yet another east-west line.

A bridge has been my preferred option for a while now. There's the opportunity to do something really spectacular with the design of that bridge, especially considering the backdrop when looking at it from the west.

Parliament Station is a natural hub for the downtown core too. Most Gatineau commuters wouldn't even transfer to Line 1, since Parliament is within walking distance of so many commuter destinations (for government workers, Tunney's is the obvious exception).

A new N-S platform could be built underneath the existing E-W platforms. I'd personally like to see the station box built to be double the length of the typical station box, in order to future-proof for a potential N-S line under Bank. It should be double length so that Gatineau and Ottawa vehicles can pull in on the same track facing each other, and use opposite ends of the platform. This would allow for same-platform transfers for those wishing to continue north or south on the other service (something similar was proposed for Don Mills Station for the SELRT). Should the service eventually be integrated between the two systems, the configuration can be modified to permit a through service. Such a long station box would allow for entrances as far north as Wellington and as a far south as Laurier. I'm sure the multiple entrances covering a large swath of downtown would be much appreciated on a cold or snowy winter day.

Back