News   Apr 30, 2024
 12     0 
News   Apr 30, 2024
 482     0 
News   Apr 29, 2024
 1.6K     0 

Ottawa Transit Developments

OC Transpo trains damaged in collision at Belfast Yard

I thought I heard that the Citadis Spirit trains for Finch West were a bit wider than Flexity trains (or maybe just wider from the original design assumptions), and the Finch/400 bridge had to have some last minute adjustments made to the design to accommodate this when the province switched from Bombardier to Alstom.
Did something like that happen here?
Should a train yard not be designed so that 2 trains can pass on adjacent tracks without contact?

OC Transpo trains damaged in collision at Belfast Yard

I thought I heard that the Citadis Spirit trains for Finch West were a bit wider than Flexity trains (or maybe just wider from the original design assumptions), and the Finch/400 bridge had to have some last minute adjustments made to the design to accommodate this when the province switched from Bombardier to Alstom.
Did something like that happen here?
Should a train yard not be designed so that 2 trains can pass on adjacent tracks without contact?

The yard is where the trains run under manual control. I imagine one train was too close to a switch or frog where things obviously narrow.

The yard is where the trains run under manual control. I imagine one train was too close to a switch or frog where things obviously narrow.
That would make a bit more sense.
They said 1 was stationary. Maybe it's operator error, but it seems procedures should be in place to dissuade driver from stopping in a location that impedes others.
It's basically the same as those car drivers who park and spill onto the streetcar tracks, blocking the entire route.

While there are issues with the system the media is making them see worse then they really are also some people in Ottawa have this idea there should be no delays and Ottawa is the only city with issues.

Hate to crash the party here, but I smell some level of corruption. I mean, SNC is already known for it.

I don't think there is any corruption between SNC and the city now did the feds put pressure on Ottawa to pick SNC maybe they did.

Given that Vancouver, with double the population of Ottawa hasn't hit 18K with the Expo line (though it's approaching it) I don't see us hitting even that in the near future. Ottawa isn't Toronto, it's growing but not at that kind of pace. We definitely aren't going to be maxed out by 2030.

But of course I could be wrong.... Looks like the Canada Line might be maxed out already

The Ottawa-Gatineau population is 1.5 million you add in the bedroom community's and Embassy/gov workers on the hill brings it close to 1.7 million not a Toronto/Vancouver but still not small in terms of population.

The Ottawa-Gatineau population is 1.5 million you add in the bedroom community's and Embassy/gov workers on the hill brings it close to 1.7 million not a Toronto/Vancouver but still not small in terms of population.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

StatsCan says Ottawa-Gatineau's population was 1.324 million in 2016. Their estimate in July 2018 was 1.414 million. The City of Ottawa itself put out a notice that they passed 1 million residents last summer, where they estimate the area's total population at about 1.5 million, making Ottawa-Gatineau the sixth largest metro in the country.

And population counts don't separate out embassy and government workers. Nor are there 200 000 government. With the extraordinary growth in federal employees under Trudeau, there's about 145 000 federal employees in Ottawa-Gatineau. I highly doubt the embassies and missions in Ottawa have 55 000 people working at them. This article cites a figure of 6000 diplomats with immunity in Ottawa. All those, would still be part of the total population count though.

More to the discussion at hand, OC Transpo only marginally covers Gatineau. So it's effectively serving only a million customers. Not 1.5 million.

Where are you getting your numbers from?

StatsCan says Ottawa-Gatineau's population was 1.324 million in 2016. Their estimate in July 2018 was 1.414 million. The City of Ottawa itself put out a notice that they passed 1 million residents last summer, where they estimate the area's total population at about 1.5 million, making Ottawa-Gatineau the sixth largest metro in the country.

And population counts don't separate out embassy and government workers. Nor are there 200 000 government. With the extraordinary growth in federal employees under Trudeau, there's about 145 000 federal employees in Ottawa-Gatineau. I highly doubt the embassies and missions in Ottawa have 55 000 people working at them. This article cites a figure of 6000 diplomats with immunity in Ottawa. All those, would still be part of the total population count though.

More to the discussion at hand, OC Transpo only marginally covers Gatineau. So it's effectively serving only a million customers. Not 1.5 million.

Big deal! The City of London, England has a population of 9,401 people. (Okay, Greater London is 8,899,375.)

While there are issues with the system the media is making them see worse then they really are also some people in Ottawa have this idea there should be no delays and Ottawa is the only city with issues.
At this point, the media sometimes is under reporting the problems. I am sorry but this is not normal delays. When they have not been able to run the originally planned 15 trains on even one day since the system opened on September 14th, there are problems.

I did a survey on the Ottawa board, and when the Confederation LIne is running with enough trains to meet demand, most have been very pleased with the service. However, in the last two weeks, we have been short on the minimum number of trains every day requiring downtown bus service to operate. Users during peak periods are getting fed up with substandard service and trains that cannot be kept in service.

Back