News   Apr 19, 2024
 960     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 675     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Ottawa Transit Developments

This morning the STO presented its two alignment proposals for bringing the Gatineau LRT into Ottawa and connecting with the O-Train.

The proposals are a surface running alignment along Wellington Street, and a tunnel below Sparks Street. Both options would stretch all the way to Elgin and the former would have an option to eventually loop back into Gatineau via the Alexandra crossing.

The Prince of Wales bridge remains an option as a secondary link in the future.

I wish they would consider a N-S tunnel option under Bank. Build a new bridge across the river and connect that way. That way a connection could be made at Parliament Station, and that could potentially be extended south as a Bank St Subway.

Running E-W though downtown pretty much negates the opportunity for true integration between the systems.

This morning the STO presented its two alignment proposals for bringing the Gatineau LRT into Ottawa and connecting with the O-Train.

The proposals are a surface running alignment along Wellington Street, and a tunnel below Sparks Street. Both options would stretch all the way to Elgin and the former would have an option to eventually loop back into Gatineau via the Alexandra crossing.

The Prince of Wales bridge remains an option as a secondary link in the future.

Here's the presentation deck: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I-y-AuWpYQe_ztWZmj5QLwOHzJQeFR4j/view?usp=drivesdk

Think of the Gatineau LRT like New Jersey's PATH rapid transit system that goes into New York City. (It's a separate fare.)

nynj_1.jpg

From link.

The ideas they presented for the Ottawa portion of this show a stunning lack of imagination. It's almost as though they did this from maps and have never been to Ontario. I thought Ottawa and OC Transpo were working with them. It doesn't show.

I wish they would consider a N-S tunnel option under Bank. Build a new bridge across the river and connect that way. That way a connection could be made at Parliament Station, and that could potentially be extended south as a Bank St Subway.
Bridge (and even tunnel) options were considered, all were rejected.

Bridge (and even tunnel) options were considered, all were rejected.

Which I think is a mistake. Ottawa has spent so much time and effort getting higher capacity transit corridors off its downtown streets so that they can be given back to pedestrians. Having Gatineau come in with a surface rail proposal goes completely against that.

If the funding gap between surface and underground is an issue, make a pitch to the federal government to cover the difference between the two. The NCC has made ridiculous demands that have cost Ottawa and Ontario taxpayers extra (insistence on burying the Confederation Line West extension under the SJAM Parkway for example). Time for the NCC and the Feds to step up and make a demand that will actually make things noticeably better.

The surface option is for show. Not happening. Least of all on Wellington. They need it to shake money out of Fed money tree.

If it's a "look at how terrible this option is if we don't get more money" dog and pony show, then I'm fine with it. I just hope they have a damn good plan of what they actually want to build that's sitting on someone's desk, waiting to be shown once the funding comes through.

Back