News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 866     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 349     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

Where else can they expand to?
Considering that part of the line is not on ONR tracks, I look where there is potential ridership.
Here are my thoughts:
1) A Toronto -Sudbury line. It could even use the Mactier sub south of where the one way directional agreement with CN and CP are.
2) A SSM - Sudbury = North Bay line. It would connect the major population centers of Northern ON. Along that line would be the largest (Sudbury), 3rd (SSM) and 4th (North Bay) largest cities.Throughout most of that section is also the other large population centres.
3) Thunder Bay to Winnipeg. Just like #2, this would connect the largest population centres of the NW ON Thunder Bay is the largest city in NW ON, and the second largest in Northern ON. Along that route are the 6th (Kenora) and 10th (Dryden) cities as well.

Gad. Here we go again.
There were a dedicated group that pushed to have the Northlander return. I am just wondering if once it returns if that is it. If it is, then it is, but if not, I'd like to hear what may be in the works, if it is publicly available. I know many here would rather that even the Northlander not return.

There were a dedicated group that pushed to have the Northlander return. I am just wondering if once it returns if that is it. If it is, then it is, but if not, I'd like to hear what may be in the works, if it is publicly available. I know many here would rather that even the Northlander not return.
I'm been on here about six plus years (egad!) and this topic ha been raised - mostly by you - I don't know how many times. You're not looking for "what' in the works". You're looking to flog you fantasy.

For what it's worth, the only other chatter I've ever heard is about the return of the SSM-Hearst train. A FN group has been working on that for a while. If there is any other chatter out there, the Internet is your friend.

For what it's worth, the only other chatter I've ever heard is about the return of the SSM-Hearst train. A FN group has been working on that for a while. If there is any other chatter out there, the Internet is your friend.

That is something I was not aware of. Thank you for helping me learn more.

Bracebridge station (more like a shed) has been demolished to make way for the new Northlander shelters.

IMG_4529.jpeg

I think Ontario Northland would do better expanding bus service, including adding a second daily run between Sudbury, North Bay, and Ottawa. Forget rail.
having a 0605 departure from North Bay arriving Ottawa 1115 would integrate with the southbound draft rail timetable (with allowance for transfers - assuming of course ONR can operate the service in a timely way).

Similarly an ~1800 departure from Ottawa would arrive prior to the 2340 northbound departure towards Timmins.

I'm been on here about six plus years (egad!) and this topic ha been raised - mostly by you - I don't know how many times. You're not looking for "what' in the works". You're looking to flog you fantasy.

Thank you for sending me down that rabbit hole.

This is a project that could be funded by the province. $2 million a year in government funding to operate it? That is a drop in the bucket for the province.

having a 0605 departure from North Bay arriving Ottawa 1115 would integrate with the southbound draft rail timetable (with allowance for transfers - assuming of course ONR can operate the service in a timely way).

Similarly an ~1800 departure from Ottawa would arrive prior to the 2340 northbound departure towards Timmins.
As I understand it, the can until they hit Ottawa.That is where it can be late.

Thank you for sending me down that rabbit hole.

This is a project that could be funded by the province. $2 million a year in government funding to operate it? That is a drop in the bucket for the province.
I remember that fight when it was in its early stages. I don't know what was behind the federal decision to withdraw funding. Saying the service was "no longer eligible" was a crock; nothing has fundamentally changed regarding the area it serviced and its 'remoteness' in years. Roads only touch the route in a small handful of locations.

Two million was only the federal subsidy. I don't know what other support it received.

I remember that fight when it was in its early stages. I don't know what was behind the federal decision to withdraw funding. Saying the service was "no longer eligible" was a crock; nothing has fundamentally changed regarding the area it serviced and its 'remoteness' in years. Roads only touch the route in a small handful of locations.

Two million was only the federal subsidy. I don't know what other support it received.
If all it took was a measly $2 million from the federal government and the rest came from fares, that seems odd that it would have lost the funding.

Back