News   Jul 12, 2024
 990     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 859     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 348     0 

Ontario Northland/Northern Ontario Transportation

Screenshot_2021-03-10_195117.jpg

I was just talking to a friend who works for ONTC. He's an office-dweller and had no insight or juicy rumours, but wasn't aware of any significant development. He did say that, although most in-house maintenance is done in Cochrane, there are a few things that still have to be done in North Bay, and they have had problems with the way they ran water lines in the new refurbishments; although a one-day down and back doesn't seem to indicate a maintenance trip.

I was just talking to a friend who works for ONTC. He's an office-dweller and had no insight or juicy rumours, but wasn't aware of any significant development. He did say that, although most in-house maintenance is done in Cochrane, there are a few things that still have to be done in North Bay, and they have had problems with the way they ran water lines in the new refurbishments; although a one-day down and back doesn't seem to indicate a maintenance trip.
That is why it is interesting us all. Maybe the title of this thread can be the return of the Northlander.

Well, here's the Company's statement:

I'm actually not surprised with the two power units. Outside of yard and passenger work, many roads seem to have semi-permanent lashed-up pairs, regardless of assignment, simply in case a failed unit doesn't leave the line tied up waiting for rescue.
I guess they also wanted to see what kind of travel times are possible along the route for possible schedules?

so whats the reason for 2 loco's?

A few reasons I can think of.
1) reliability. Like someone said, if something happens to one engine, they just keep going.
2) with the way they are pointed, they don't have to take the wye to turn around.
3) This may be how it will run when it comes back.
4) they didn't want to separate them for the single run.

Well, here's the Company's statement:

I'm actually not surprised with the two power units. Outside of yard and passenger work, many roads seem to have semi-permanent lashed-up pairs, regardless of assignment, simply in case a failed unit doesn't leave the line tied up waiting for rescue.
"It was meant to collect and validate data on safety and infrastructure in case passenger service does return to the Highway 11 corridor between Cochrane and Toronto."

Sounds to me that by the next election, the Northlander will be back.

I guess they also wanted to see what kind of travel times are possible along the route for possible schedules?

I would think if scheduling was a key factor they would have run the entire route (which would have been a lot of effort and planning for the CN-owned portion). Besides, I doubt a whole lot has changed since 2012. I imagine there are any number of passenger-related ROW factors that they haven't had to care about for nine years and that they might want to note for potential funding and/or repair. They would all form part of the funding package they might need should the government decide to reinstate.

Back