News   Jul 15, 2024
 258     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 449     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 550     0 

Ontario Flag needs replacing

Whilst we are on the subject of our unique culture and traditions, anyone any thoughts on 'British' Columbia?

Are they all still briddish out thar?
The reason why British Columbia is named such as not to be confused with American Columbia (aka District of Columbia aka Washington (the capital city)) or Spanish Columbia (aka Colombia).

Canadian Columbia would be a start.

Not in favour of any nods to colonialism so I'd support a new flag for Ontario. I'd never ever fly the current one. I did a quick search online and quite like this one:

13705179613_cc16da3587.jpg

Last edited:
Not in favour of any nods to colonialism so I'd support a new flag for Ontario. I'd never ever fly the current one. I did a quick search online and quite like this one:

13705179613_cc16da3587.jpg

With regards to the above design, the proposal to replace our provincial flag and the current state of the entire thread:

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 789
Sorry W.K. Lis, but I think your last post pretty well sums up the absurd and inane nature of this discussion.

Great drawings, any commercial design experience?

This is a grand design, hmmm, that thing looks sort of familiar…

Anyone for Ontario-themed safe sex packaging? It works for me!:rolleyes:

That's just puerile - and if that's packaging for rubbers, no one will be having any sex (just look at the choice of fonts). So much for commercial design experience on crudely photoshopped mockups.

AoD

Last edited:
I love how one guy, calling himself "inpartial observer" creates an account with the sole purpose of resurrecting an old thread -- out of thousands on Urban Toronto -- and picks fights with just about everyone here on the merits of glorious 1965 flag of Ontario, a flag that just about nobody really likes. It's better than about half the US state flags and Alberta - the state/provincial shield on a blue field, but not by much. I side with those advocating a new flag. But I'm also a republican, and the reason why I'm not fighting for that cause is all the headaches that would cause once the Constitution is re-opened again.

I love how one guy, calling himself "inpartial observer" creates an account with the sole purpose of resurrecting an old thread -- out of thousands on Urban Toronto -- and picks fights with just about everyone here [...]

Not to mention he's basically calling everyone else's opinions absurd and inane. I don't think he realizes that no one is paying attention to his opinions due to the clatter from his misplaced condescension.

Last edited:
Resurrecting an old thread.
Why does Ontario still fly outdated colonialist flag?

I have seen a lot of options, but don't really have a favorite. I am convinced that if we tackled this, it would lead to the wrong result and a lot of divisiveness in the process.
http://vexillology.wikia.com/wiki/Ontario
As I said numerous times, Ontario needs a new flag. It needs to be substantially different from other provincial flags.

Oh, and Manitoba needs a new flag as well, since the Red Ensign does not reflect its Métis culture well.

I really don't like the attack on historical artifacts and traditions that have been happening in recent times. People complain that Canada has no culture but then go out of their way to make changes to existing cultural symbols. Can we leave things and build our culture around them, instead of changing every 50 years and then complaining that we have no Canadian culture. It is almost as if there is a push by certain groups to make it so there is no "Canadian Culture", but that is just a conspiracy theory, nothing to see here.

Last edited:
I really don't like the attack on historical artifacts and traditions that have been happening in recent times. People complain that Canada has no culture but then go out of their way to make changes to existing cultural symobols. Can we leave things and build our culture around them, instead of changing every 50 years and then complaining that we have no Canadian culture. It is almost as if there is a push by certain groups to make it so there is no "Canadian Culture", but that is just a conspiracy theory, nothing to see here.

Going by that, we would never have the current Canadian flag either. The problem isn't change per se - but whether that change engenders long-term attachment.

AoD

I really don't like the attack on historical artifacts and traditions that have been happening in recent times. People complain that Canada has no culture but then go out of their way to make changes to existing cultural symbols. Can we leave things and build our culture around them, instead of changing every 50 years and then complaining that we have no Canadian culture. It is almost as if there is a push by certain groups to make it so there is no "Canadian Culture", but that is just a conspiracy theory, nothing to see here.
Based on the star article, I imagine the exact intent of some is to destroy our heritage.
I would think a redesign should include either the Union Jack, or at least the St. George Cross, and maybe the triple maple leaf - plus possibly add in the trillium. .

I would suggest that changing the Ontario flag is certainly not a matter I consider a personal priority. I've always been more interested in substance, than symbols.

That said, I find nothing particularly attractive or interesting about the current Ontario flag.

Looking at the proposals submitted on the page linked by @BurlOak I personally like this one the best.

I like the Trillium which all Ontarians now link to the provincial government by way of health cards and driver's licenses.

The Maple Leaf draws the allusion to Canada, while preserving the existing styling.

The colours have the incidental value of representing each of the 4 major political parties in Ontario, meaning one does not draw a link to the flag as being a partisan instrument.

Back