News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.6K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 331     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 897     0 

Ontario Flag needs replacing

With that in mind we can start tearing down the distillery district to get on with making new history. We have to start somewhere!

Let's not be facetious. Besides, if you really want to quibble about it, the buildings of the Distillery District replaced something contemporary of its' time - so if they didn't decide to make history, you'd be looking at wooden shacks, muddy lanes and swamps instead.

AoD

Last edited:
A flag doesn't stop a province from making its own history. I guess I just don't see flags as something you randomly change. It's not a t shirt.

A flag doesn't stop a province from making its own history. I guess I just don't see flags as something you randomly change. It's not a t shirt.

No, but there was nothing particularly random about wanting to change the flag either. In fact, the current Ontario flag appears to be formally adopted only in a fit of political pushback over the adoption of the then new Canadian flag.

AoD

Let's not be facetious. Besides, if you really want to quibble about it, the buildings of the Distillery District replaced something contemporary of its' time - so if they didn't decide to make history, you'd be looking at wooden shacks, muddy lanes and swamps instead.

Then no reason to keep them now either. Replace those Victorian Industrial buildings with a shiny new condo history.

Then no reason to keep them now either. Replace those Victorian Industrial buildings with a shiny new condo history.

We kept them, and we adapted and reused them and then built new towers around them. Sounds like we made new history just fine without having to resort to building historical pastiche.

AoD

It seems rather randomly brought up when it hasnt been a issue in the news or anything. Its one thibg to get rid of the confederate flag down south because it has negative connotations but the union jack has none from what i know. Would you like to take Queen Elizabeth of our money as well? Perhaps Rob Ford would be better suited to our currency.

It seems rather randomly brought up when it hasnt been a issue in the news or anything. Its one thibg to get rid of the confederate flag down south because it has negative connotations but the union jack has none from what i know. Would you like to take Queen Elizabeth of our money as well? Perhaps Rob Ford would be better suited to our currency.

Colonialism (perhaps Paternalism would be a better word) would be a very good reason to get rid of it. I am not overly hung up on taking EIIR off our coinage - I'd rather see we move away from using her as the head of state in the first place.

AoD

Why not? Let's tear down all those Victorian Industrial buildings, hell we won't even give people advance notice to leave the buildings, we'll tear them down with them still in it, just for pure spite. Just like how the Ontario flag was designed. Created out of pure spite because the province didn't like the Maple Leaf flag. Basically, our flag is the middle finger to the Maple Leaf flag. That's the history of the Ontario Flag in an nutshell; it's the middle finger to the Maple Leaf flag.

Here's my take.

View attachment 42133

I made it hit a few points on the grid, in case it's not evident.

View attachment 42134

A flag is a very difficult thing to design both from an aesthetic point-of-view and a symbolic point-of-view. The majority of the proposed New Zealand flags were bloody awful in my opinion. I think the flag above is excellent, although I think it should be mirrored so the gold is near the pole.

800px-Flag_of_Quebec_%281-2%29.svg.png

From Wikipedia, at this link:

The Fleurdelisé takes its white cross from the ancient royal flags of France.

Its white fleurs-de-lis (symbols of purity) and blue field (symbolizing Heaven) come from a banner honouring the Virgin Mary, reputedly carried by French-Canadian militia at General Louis-Joseph de Montcalm's victory at Carillon.

Contrary to a popular belief, the white fleurs-de-lis are not exactly taken from the banner of the kings of France (which used golden ones), though relation between both cannot be denied.

The flag is blazoned Azure, a cross between four fleurs-de-lis argent. Its horizontal symmetry allows both sides of the flag to show the same image.

On the Ontario flag, there is the Ontario shield.
800px-Flag_of_Ontario.svg.png

From Wikipedia, at this link:
The shield of arms — which appears on Ontario's flag — consists of three golden maple leaves, representing Canada, on a green background. On a chief is the Cross of St. George, the name saint of King George III, in allegiance to whom the Loyalists first came to the land that would form the province.

Though I hate to argue with Wiki.... I note that the official government of Canada site describing Provincial Symbols says that the St George's Cross is not to do with King George but of England itself. See:

http://www.pch.gc.ca/eng/1363203445747#a3

"Ontario was granted its coat of arms by Queen Victoria in 1868. The arms were augmented with a crest, supporters and motto by King Edward VII in 1909.

The red Cross of St. George, symbolic of England, appears in the upper third of the shield. The lower portion of the shield features three golden maple leaves, emblematic of Canada, on a green background.

The shield is supported by a moose and a Canadian deer; a black bear appears on the crest above the shield."

Pardon my MS Paint skills, but I always imagined an Ontario flag like this. It's basically Nigeria's flag with a trillium. We wouldn't even have to repaint the GO trains!

Attachments

• new ontario flag.png
    new ontario flag.png
    5.5 KB · Views: 403

Back