News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 743     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.2K     3 

Ontario Cannabis Store (OCS)

Since the logo became such a hot topic online, I wonder what you guys think about it?

osc_logo.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg

Attachments

• osc_logo.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg
    osc_logo.jpg.size-custom-crop.1086x0.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 882
Of course the logo is going to be underwhelming. I'm surprised people expected anything different. It's not meant to draw attention or entice customers. The bureaucrats in charge of selling cannabis are being overly cautious and not wanting to do anything to offend anyone, or to draw any real reaction for that matter.

Since Trudeau was elected with his weed legalization platform, Queen's Park has made abundantly clear that its preferred means of cannabis sales was the LCBO. When addiction experts questioned selling booze and weed next to one another, the default position was an arm of the LCBO with separate outlets. The government of the day in Ontario was never going to license cool, independent weed stores, or even make its own stores interesting (lest they be accused of enticing teens to consume the stuff). Just like the logo, expect the OCS outlets to be simple, straightforward and as unremarkable as they can manage.

Last edited:
Of course the logo is going to be underwhelming. I'm surprised people expected anything different. It's not meant to draw attention or entice customers. The bureaucrats in charge of selling cannabis are being overly cautious and not wanting to do anything to offend anyone, or to draw any real reaction for that matter.

Well if they find it too boring - just smoke some and stare at it for awhile.

AoD

My only issue with this is you know they will do a re-design in 5-10 years.

I've heard some complaints form graphic designers that the S is too thin. But I'm not a graphic designer.

I'm simply not happy with the entire way Ontario is handling this.

We had a blank slate and instead chose to go with the outdated sale model we use for alcohol.

Edibles are not legal yet, and how do you regulate it? Is it a food product - hence through Canada Food Inspection Agency; or as a drug, through Health Canada?

Quite frankly I am more inclined to support modes of use like a pharmaceutical (pill) vs. as a lifestyle product where the mode of consumption (smoking) that is fairly noxious in public or present itself in a product category that is highly questionable (as foodstuffs). Ditto other recreational drugs really.

But of course, that raises additional issues such as QC, private growing and consumption, etc.

AoD

Last edited:
[...] We had a blank slate and instead chose to go with the outdated sale model we use for alcohol.

This is a government whose liberalization of beer and wines sales was grudging, limited and complicated. Of course we were always going to have this model for the sale of cannabis. It is the safe, least threatening option which antagonizes the fewest number of stakeholders.

My hope is the once people are accustomed to legal cannabis, we will at some point have a provincial government which is prepared to actually liberalize beer, wine and cannabis sales.

They blew the name......instead of Ontario Cannabis Store, or "OCS"....they should have gone with ONpot or #ONpot.

This is a government whose liberalization of beer and wines sales was grudging, limited and complicated. Of course we were always going to have this model for the sale of cannabis. It is the safe, least threatening option which antagonizes the fewest number of stakeholders.

My hope is the once people are accustomed to legal cannabis, we will at some point have a provincial government which is prepared to actually liberalize beer, wine and cannabis sales.

The problem I see is that they are not going to do a good job of eradicating the black market. At least not at first. Especially when you launch with only 40 stores.

I'm sure the store opening hours will suck just as bad as LCBO hours.

The problem I see is that they are not going to do a good job of eradicating the black market. At least not at first. Especially when you launch with only 40 stores.

how do the store hours suck?

my local LCBO is open 9:30 a.m. to 10 pm 6 days a week and 11 to 6 on the 7th.........seems there is ample time in there to buy booze.

I'm sure the prices will suck too, if it's anything like the LCBO. Government monopoly = higher prices.

I'm not really concerned about the prices. The $10/g that I've been hearing isn't out of line. I am concerned about the format of the stores though. If people can't see or smell what they're getting before buying, or if the selection is kept purposefully small to make it seem like they're not promoting use then the black market is here to stay. Legal crackdowns were unsuccessful before legalization, and I doubt they'll be any more successful after.

Back