1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 408     0 

Officially Unofficial Metrolinx Regional Transportation Plan Thread

I like it Coruscanti!

Two things:

1. I'm not big on the B-D being extended to MCC for reasons already stated.
2. I'd forgo an Eglinton subway for the Eglinton Crosstown LRT line we are getting. Instead though, I'd extend the DRL north on both ends.

In general, when it comes to subway extensions in this city, we don't really need that much. All the existing lines need to be taken to taken to more logical ends (West Mall, 407, Thornhill, Downsview, SCC, etc.), the Scarborough RT needs replaced with a subway and a DRL needs to be built (eventually all the way from Pearson to Don Mills via Union). As far as I can see, everything else can be covered by better bus service, LRTs, GO Transit expansions. etc.

As you can see I left the VCC subway on the map, so it only makes sense to go to MCC and SCC too.

Does it really make sense, or would it just be more "fair"?

How about this: Underground subway along Hurontario running down to the GO station, then transfer to a 10 minute frequency all day express or near express train into Union Station.

This would drastically improve service on an already established transit corridor, change the development patters in MCC from a node to a corridor, and provide a speedy ride into downtown Toronto.

Mississauga does not need a direct connection to the Toronto subway system! What it needs is a subway that caters specifically to its own needs. Subways should be built where subways are logical, not in a way that gives every municipality in the GTA its own station.

^ I agree. A diverted Milton line by itself should be more than good enough for MCC to Toronto connection for the foreseeable future. LRT for Dundas is also more than good enough for now. Hurontario should be the main concern. Hurontario is underdeveloped, lacks connections to Toronto - whether it be GO Train or TTC subway - yet already has over 25,000 riders per weekday on the 19/202 alone!

Remember, most the Hurontario corridor is inside Mississauga's Urban Growth Centre in the Places To Grow plan. Since, the target density is 200 people/jobs per acre, that means that the corridor could easily see a twofold increase in density in the near future! Meaning that the Hurontario corridor could double its ridership, even without any improved GO Train service to Toronto or any extension of the Bloor subway. And think about it: how many TTC bus routes currently have over 50,000 riders per weekday? Certainly not any without a subway connection.

While I personally think a Hurontario subway would be overkill now, I can totally see how it could be warranted in time...I wouldn't be surprised if a downtown Brampton to Port Credit LRT had 100,000 riders right off the bat.

As for a Bloor extension west of Sherway - and any extension *must* go to Sherway - it's one of those projects that maybe we really should back it on the back burner until we find out just how much an improved GO network could help.

I have absolutely no idea why so many people think the interchange of the Sheppard and Danforth lines should occur on Sheppard instead of STC.

^ I agree. A diverted Milton line by itself should be more than good enough for MCC to Toronto connection for the foreseeable future.

Good enough? It would be far superior to a subway... forever!

Honestly, I feel like... ummmm... it's 1950 and we're talking about improving transportation from Toronto to Montreal.

Me: Road travel to Montreal needs to be improved! The current roads are indirect, slow, and uncomfortable because it's still gravel in places!
Other person: I agree. We should have a paved two-lane highway providing a through route, serving all the communities along the way.
Me: That will be too slow and won't have the capacity to serve the demand. Just think of the congestion in places like Oshawa, Kingston, and Montreal during peak periods! We need a high-speed four-lane express road!
Other person: What do you have against Kingston and Montreal? We have two-lane local highways to Barrie and London! Local highways are the highest form of road travel we have in Toronto!
Me: But I'm saying we need something better than a local highway! We need an expressway to obtain the speeds and capacities required for the distances covered! They have them in the USA and Germany. It would be kind of like the QEW, only with improvements, eliminating all intersections.
Other person: Well, I guess this "expressway" you speak of will be good enough for now. But one day we'll have to build a local highway.

Does it really make sense, or would it just be more "fair"?

Exactly. If we build out to one urban centre, four or five more will cry "Where's our dot on the transit map?". It's impossible to please all the 905 upstarts, so why even give to one when LRT/BRT is always an option, and a cheaper one at that!

How about this: Underground subway along Hurontario running down to the GO station, then transfer to a 10 minute frequency all day express or near express train into Union Station.

Again very logical. A BD subway extension into Mississauga would still leave 90% of residents dependant on local bus services. Hurontario, at least bisects the city and serves of combination of niche markets (residential Port Credit, commerical Queensway/Dundas area, condos from Cooksville to Burnhamthrope; near Eglinton, office clusters at MCC, major transit hub @Square One, industrial from Bristol to County Court, more commercial to Charmois and finally more residential to Brampton Centre). My point, why piggybank on a subway line that's already too long and monotonous when after a half-hour on the GO you'd already at Square One within 10-15 mins via an independent Hurontario Line.

Mississauga does not need a direct connection to the Toronto subway system! What it needs is a subway that caters specifically to its own needs. Subways should be built where subways are logical, not in a way that gives every municipality in the GTA its own station.

Truer words never spoken. In fact the Yonge St extension should be independent of YUS too, with a third track adjacent to the existing subway that'd accomodate bypassing most local stops within the 416. As such the same time it takes one to get from Union to Eglinton on YUS, one would be at Clark on the express line.

I have absolutely no idea why so many people think the interchange of the Sheppard and Danforth lines should occur on Sheppard instead of STC.

Common sense. Diverting the Sheppard line through industrial wasteland helps no one, and only saves 5 mins from the time it'd take to loop down Markham Rd. You'd essentially be cutting off every Sheppard customer east of Kennedy by not doing this and also denying a proper linkage to the periphery of Malvern, the 95 bus and Centennial College/Milner Business Park. Once mass transit expands in Scarborough the dependency commuters have on monster terminals like Kennedy and STC will plummet.

First of all, nobody said anything about $20 billion of subway. We're talking about a plan with marginally increased cost over the existing Transit City.
Then your simply talking about a very limited amount of subway, that fails to serve most of the territory covered by Transit City. Sure, great for a few people, but no benefit to most.

Where on Earth are you getting these figures? $200 million a kilometre for LRT?
Quite clearly I typoed, and I meant $200 million a kilometre for subway - that was quite apparent from the context of what I was saying, and all the past discussion about $200 million for subway. I don't see why you'd be pretending to not understand that it was a typo ... and I can only assume that your more interested in having an argument than have a constructive conversation.

Building the proposed 13.6 km Sheppard East LRT as subway would cost $2.7 billion using a conservative $200 million per km. $250 million per km is likely more appropriate if you want to cost like Transit city in future $, instead of current $ - so that's $3.4 billion - and that doesn't include vehicles. So a 5-time multiplier doesn't seem unreasonable.
Your numbers are hilariously wrong. They are pure fiction.
I'm sorry? That's kind of rude isn't it? $200 to $250 million per kilometre of Toronto subway in 2008 dollars seems to be the going estimate of late ... do you have any better numbers? Pure fiction seems an unfair assessment.

... It does *nothing* for downtown, further proof that Transfer City is the result of pure streetcar fetishism and not a comprehensive plan to move Torontonians. It goes out of its way to put streetcars where there should be subways, preempting them for, at a minimum, several generations.
I'd have thought that it does nothing for downtown is because it's clear that adding more streetcars downtown won't help. There has to be another plan for downtown. The Don Mills EA clearly notes that downtown is in the study area ... wait and see what comes from that.

Saying that Transit City - which is a streecar plan, doesn't do anything for downtown, which clearly needs something else, makes as much sense, as complaining that Transit City doesn't fix the washroom problems at Finch station.

Common sense. Diverting the Sheppard line through industrial wasteland helps no one, and only saves 5 mins from the time it'd take to loop down Markham Rd. You'd essentially be cutting off every Sheppard customer east of Kennedy by not doing this and also denying a proper linkage to the periphery of Malvern, the 95 bus and Centennial College/Milner Business Park. Once mass transit expands in Scarborough the dependency commuters have on monster terminals like Kennedy and STC will plummet.

Malvern doesn't deserve and cannot support multiple transit lines...the ridership isn't and never will be there. Sheppard East's ridership plummets by the time you get out to Malvern. No subways should be built beyond STC, not in our lifetime, anyway.

Then your simply talking about a very limited amount of subway, that fails to serve most of the territory covered by Transit City. Sure, great for a few people, but no benefit to most.

Quite clearly I typoed, and I meant $200 million a kilometre for subway - that was quite apparent from the context of what I was saying, and all the past discussion about $200 million for subway. I don't see why you'd be pretending to not understand that it was a typo ... and I can only assume that your more interested in having an argument than have a constructive conversation.

Unimaginative2 has *never* said we should cancel Transfer City and build nothing but subways...doady merely said that for the same price as half a dozen suburban streetcar lines, we could build a few useful subway lines. I despise Transfer City overall but even I'd like to see parts of it built. This argument is turning into a red herring fishfarm.

So it was also a typo when you said 40km of subway would cost $60 billion? You've consistently exaggerated the cost of subways, and for no apparent purpose, since the people you're arguing with support a mix of contextually and corridor appropriate modes. Sheppard, Eglinton, DRL, or extending existing lines; these are all legitimate subway projects that are either underway, proposed, or were proposed at some point...no one's suggesting we build subways for the sake of subways in ridiculous places. $60 billion would build well over 200km of subways, and probably 250-300km, given massive economies of scale; this is more subways than anyone here (except for drum118 and socialwoe) has ever hinted at and more than this city would ever need. Why take your argument down such an extreme path when all we did was dare to criticize the wisdom of spending billions of dollars on suburban streetcars?

I'm sorry? That's kind of rude isn't it? $200 to $250 million per kilometre of Toronto subway in 2008 dollars seems to be the going estimate of late ... do you have any better numbers? Pure fiction seems an unfair assessment.

I'd have thought that it does nothing for downtown is because it's clear that adding more streetcars downtown won't help. There has to be another plan for downtown. The Don Mills EA clearly notes that downtown is in the study area ... wait and see what comes from that.

Saying that Transit City - which is a streecar plan, doesn't do anything for downtown, which clearly needs something else, makes as much sense, as complaining that Transit City doesn't fix the washroom problems at Finch station.

More then once, you've claimed subways cost over $1 billion per km. If they've been typos or miscommunications, fine, we can move on.

Yes, Transfer City is a plan for streetcars that pretends to be a well-rounded plan for rapid transit for the whole city. It's good to hear more people acknowledge this.

While I personally think a Hurontario subway would be overkill now, I can totally see how it could be warranted in time...I wouldn't be surprised if a downtown Brampton to Port Credit LRT had 100,000 riders right off the bat.

As for a Bloor extension west of Sherway - and any extension *must* go to Sherway - it's one of those projects that maybe we really should back it on the back burner until we find out just how much an improved GO network could help.

The interchange between Sheppard and Danforth I just kinda chose randomly as well. I don't know that area at all. As Absolute Ruler of Toronto, I delegate the choice of routing for Sheppard and Danforth in the STC vicinity to you, scarberian.

As for Hurontario, maybe it should get a subway as well then. But if it does, I'm still leaving Dundas intact. Dundas and Hurontario are Mississauga's main thoroughfares, and they both deserve subways, imho. And even if Hurontario needs one more (which it does), I still believe there should be a subway connection to Toronto, especially since Hurontario is really not THAT far from Kipling.

^ For the same reasons, I don't comment too specifically on Etobicoke and Peel very often. I just figure that if Hurontario will eventually be lined with very high density and if it's fed by so many bus routes, it may one day support a full-fledged subway...there's no question that light rail would be successful. But, if Hurontario gets a real light rail line and GO is improved by leaps and bounds, that would really slash the need for a Bloor extension to Square One.

STC is the obvious terminus point for both Danforth and Sheppard. Besides STC, though, Sheppard will intersect with the Midtown and Stouffville GO lines, creating an incredibly useful interchange from 6 directions.

Based on some suggestions, I have revised my map slightly, and made it easier (in my opinion) to look at.

2302874725_9039968d95_b.jpg

Major differences

1. Sheppard runs along Finch in the west to the airport (meeting up with Eglinton, felt the gaps in the west end network were too great)
2. DRL runs along the rail corridors in both the east and west
3. Hurontario subway added

So far I find most proposals for GTA mass transit are too light on GO and too heavy on laying subway close to GO lines. I think Toronto needs something like the Yamanote line which is not a subway line but does show up every 2-5 minutes. I can see this line running Union, Stachan, Queen, Bloor, Jane, Kipling, Dixie, Cooksville, Erindale, Streetsville, Financial, Brampton, Airport Rd North, Hwy 27, Islington, Spadina subway 407 Transitway, Yonge, John St, Woodbine, Warden, Markham Rd, Pickering Centre, Rouge Hill, Guildwood, Eglinton, Scarborough, Main St, Gerrard, Union... something along those lines. Something frequent with stops spaced slightly longer than subways running on normal rails.

Back