News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Oakwood

EnviroTO

Member Bio
Reaction score
What is going on in Oakwood these days? I am noticing that all the cheap single detached properties near downtown are in Oakwood. Is there an undocumented problem in the neighbourhood?

Vaughan & Oakwood has been getting some bad press, mostly to do with drugs. It's a little rough around the edges, but I don't think it's a "bad" area.

I drove through the area on the weekend with friends to check things out. Other than some very small homes (single floor and thin) the neighbourhood still seems decent. There are people renovating and undertaking improvement projects all over the area. Tons of for sale signs around the neighbourhood though. I wonder if it is due more to the age of the area and it being a cycle where older folks are now ready to move out? The only parts that actually look bad are on the main streets where the retail looks pretty run down.

So that brings this question...... What IS a bad part of Toronto ? In your opinion ?

Bear in mind I was born here and I'm 62 years old, so my memory is quite long.

I see people buying old shacks in places that I wouldn't keep my dog in ( if I had a dog ) and paying a half a million dollars for the right to dodge bums and winos on the way to the corner store.

I spent a number of years with Metro Ambulance 1969 to 1988, and I have my own set of " bad places " that I could name, but many of them are now "condos and renovated lofts " not the flop houses of the past. BUT the people outside the entrances are still the dregs of society, That hasn't changed.

Jim Bunting.

True, the Oakwood-Vaughan area has always been a bit sketchy, but I've never felt particularly uncomfortable there, speaking as your average-citizen type. I live in the neighbourhood - well, okay, the white, middle-class edge of it - and I often jog or walk along Oakwood, and I've never had a problem. In fact, I've had a lot more weird/dangerous run-ins south of Bloor. Not that my anecdotal evidence is worth much...

Back