News   Apr 26, 2024
 102     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 147     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 573     0 

Arc Condo (Sheppard & Bayview, Daniels, 16s, Kirkor) COMPLETE

ARC grows! Taken today from the Bayview Village parking lot.

arc1.jpg

My pathetic attemp at a pano. (you get the idea)

arcpano.jpg

I live incredibly close to this project. Walked by today.

This, plus the Shane Baghai towers and "The Bayview" Condos going up, the area is changing at a dramatic pace.

It's a nice building... I like it... but it doesn't fit the areas look and feel and it takes some class away from Bayview Village shopping mall with it's style and proximity

Oh, Shane Baghai is adding more than enough "class" to the area to compensate for Arc.

4grand: you're right - these new towers are the first steps towards giving Sheppard an Avenues-ish streetwall. NY Towers may have added a lot of units and people, but only now is Sheppard itself finally starting to look different. ParkPlace won't do much for Sheppard, though, since it has only one small block of frontage.

Cool pics...

Do the majority of the people who live at the condos in this area take the subway or they still prefer to drive.

strange place to build a cruise ship (or arc if you choose) inspired building

If you saw the plot of land before they started building this, you'd never think they could fit anything there. I think the proportions, for that spot are perfect.

Redroom - thanks for the tip. The only problem is, I shifted the camera when I took the photos, so I don't think I could make a good looking pano no matter what.

If you saw the plot of land before they started building this, you'd never think they could fit anything there.

I was thinking the same thing. It was a very steep hill with lots of trees. The city should never have allowed a building there... it takes away from the area... specially that spaceship design

What's it taking away from really?

Daniel's stumpy faux NY Towers playset? (Those aren't even real, are they?)
Shane Baghai's fussy neo-classicist kitchen-sink St. Gabriel's gated community?

Bayview and Sheppard's new buildings have no style to take away from - they have pastiche. There's a similar thing happening amongst the homes off to the northeast of the corner - up along Burbank and the local streets that peel off it - the original suburban ranch modern homes are being replaced by flouncy-yucky retread-of-history McMansions. Adding a building to the area like Arc actually returns some of the space-age 50s and 60s optimistic architecture to the area. And while Arc is not my ne-plus-ultra favourite design in town, this area needs it, so bring it on...

I find it too intrusive... it looks like they took a few lanes out of the mall parking lot and built a condo... I would have prefered at least a street between the two buildings and a more neutral building... beige and tan, rather than aluminium and blue glass.

Perhaps it's intrusive enough to be an icon for the area which is currently obsessed with conservative beige that breaks no new ground. Besides, with all this intensification, one day some of that parking lot fronting Sheppard might disappear for a building of this style.

Back