News   Jul 11, 2024
 450     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 573     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 714     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Desmond Cole is busy spouting off on Twitter that the new powers given to special constables and bylaw enforcement are racist act of oppression.

I don't have a lot of time for Desmond, or this argument. But I bring to the attention of others that I've been warning of pushback; and here's a guy with a radio show in this market and a large following doing just that.

I happen to think the nature of his pushback is .........to be charitable...........problematic. But it was foreseeable and may be impactful.

Desmond Cole is busy spouting off on Twitter that the new powers given to special constables and bylaw enforcement are racist act of oppression.

I don't have a lot of time for Desmond, or this argument. But I bring to the attention of others that I've been warning of pushback; and here's a guy with a radio show in this market and a large following doing just that.

I happen to think the nature of his pushback is .........to be charitable...........problematic. But it was foreseeable and may be impactful.

White, black, brown or yellow I don't care. Right now we need to contain this thing and that means some civil liberties may be suspended to do that.

I'm sorry he thinks this is akin to racial profiling but now is not the time.

I read a story that the lockdown has saved 56,000 lives in Italy so far.
To speculate on numbers just seems silly. There's literally no way to know what would have happened if not for the having taken the exact path that they did. We can model these things, but the margin of error is huge - it's probably anywhere from 20,000-80,000 or broader.

true but i question anyone here ... in its current form what else can Italy do right now ?

No one is arguing for lifting all restrictions in Italy tomorrow or next week.

The discussion, within Italy itself, is how long that option is sustainable.

To speculate on numbers just seems silly. There's literally no way to know what would have happened if not for the having taken the exact path that they did. We can model these things, but the margin of error is huge - it's probably anywhere from 20,000-80,000 or broader.
Estimation or not, it is still important to demonstrate to the public why what we are doing is so important and can save lives.

Especially in Italy right now, where after 3 weeks many people are beginning to really feel the financial repercussions, and authorities there need to instill discipline in the public to maintain the state of affairs as the crisis continues.

I welcome any sort of estimations and projections that statisticians can produce, and be used as headlines, even if they might appear alarmist.

FDA has just approved a 2-minute serological antibody test for Covid:

Good discussion in this Twitter thread of the value and limitations of this test:

From said thread:

"FDA grants an emergency use authorization to an IgG/IgM antibody rapid test with a 91% clinical specificity rate and a 99% clinical sensitivity rate."

"Lower specificity means a higher number of false positives."

NDP pushing for fewer 'essential' businesses allowed to remain open.

Singling out Car Dealerships and non-Emergency Service related construction.

I have zero problem w/the former.

The latter, I think I might prefer something more nuanced, including mandatory hand-wash stations.; and regulations to ensure adequate personal space on all sites.

Interesting. haven't tried it yet, but there's an Android version too.

We've all seen discussion that China's numbers are under-reported.

I think there's enough evidence out there to be certain.

What's cloudy is the extent of that under-reporting.

Don't have hard numbers..........

But the U.S. has decided to start leaking that it suspects a very substantial under-count.

This may be going somewhere in terms of international affairs............and merits close watching.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...xtent-of-virus-outbreak-u-s-intelligence-says

Last edited:

Back