News   Apr 25, 2024
 334     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

TORONTO -- Ontario health officials have confirmed 260 more cases of COVID-19, bringing the provincial total to 1,966.

The new patients were announced on Tuesday, as the province stated that 4,280 people are currently under investigation for the novel coronavirus.

There are 33 deaths linked to COVID-19 in the province and 10.9 per cent of all patients have been hospitalized at one point.

Speaking at a news conference held at Queen’s Park on Tuesday afternoon, Ontario’s Associate Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. Barbara Yaffe said that 11 of the 33 deceased patients were from seniors' residences.

Yaffe added that there are currently 10 long-term care homes in Ontario with active outbreaks of COVID-19.
-----------------------

Yaffe went on to state that currently 291 patients infected with the virus in the province remain in hospital. Of those 291 patients, 125 of them are in an intensive care unit (ICU) and of those 125, 82 of them are on ventilators to assist with breathing. According to Ontario's Chief Medical Officer of Health Dr. David Williams, the province has the capacity to care for up to 3,000 ICU patients at any given time.

The number of resolved cases in Ontario sits at 534.

To date, more than 50,000 people have been tested for the virus in the province. In recent days, Ontario has added more testing capacity and has been able to clear a backlog that was once nearly 11,000 cases.

Ontario's trajectory remains tough to read..........

Canada overall is holding near the 1% mortality rate.............

The U.S. is looking a bit ominous in that its mortality rate has crept over the 2% mark for the 1st time today.

The Italians are debating whether to begin staged reopening of society as early as mid-April. Its clear they haven't yet decided and the national debate rages.

Necessary price - not celebrating a year won't kill anyone.

AoD
I think it speaks to just how serious this is and how long we’re going to be living like this. Ford and Lecce took quite a bit of heat today for not cancelling school altogether rather than just til May 4

I think it speaks to just how serious this is and how long we’re going to be living like this. Ford and Lecce took quite a bit of heat today for not cancelling school altogether rather than just til May 4

That surprised me too as High Schools start exams in the middle of June and Elementary Schools are tying up loose ends around now.

Lest there be no doubt; I am not questioning the serious and real nature of Covid in general; and in NYC in particular, as it pertains to below.

With that said, people are now casting just such doubts because of a media decision that is mindbogglingly stupid.

CBS aired a report last week in which it claimed to be discussing the crisis condition in a NY hospital; but showed footage from Italy without any attribution that the image was not in fact New York.

Now, every right-wing fruitcake website in the U.S. is running w/this story......'see its all a media hoax'. Of course it isn't, but boy, if you couldn't foresee that happening when you edit a piece that way.......(in the U.S. especially)

Fox, not exactly known for being fair or balanced, is being reasonable in their report of this particular mistake.............many other outlets, not so much.

For the record, there is real video footage available, as seen here in this CNN report:

Last edited:
Speaking of hospital's under stress.............there's a Covid outbreak going on at a Mississauga hospital.

The right wing nuts should really catch up. Their leader Trump has done a complete 180 (I think Dr Fauci and Dr Birx finally got through to him), and is now spinning the potential of over 100000 deaths as some sort of victory. He visited a sick friend in hospital and is reminding g us that it isn’t just the flu, despite his frequent assertions that it was not so long ago.

Ontario's trajectory remains tough to read..........

Canada overall is holding near the 1% mortality rate.............

The U.S. is looking a bit ominous in that its mortality rate has crept over the 2% mark for the 1st time today.

For Ontario, the increased testing and clearing of backlog in recent days has been critical and helps build a gradually clearer picture. The rise in cases per day has held steady at around 200-300 lately, and will likely remain at that rate until the majority of the 4000-ish cases left to be investigated yield results. Which may take another 2 weeks or so to break down that remaining bulk fully, plus incremental cases each day. This month overall remains a vital period in stifling and lowering the spread.

The Italians are debating whether to begin staged reopening of society as early as mid-April. Its clear they haven't yet decided and the national debate rages.

Bad idea for Italy to consider reopening so soon IMO. One of their greatest ongoing concerns is if the spread dramatically spread down to the south. Places like Hong Kong have demonstrated the risks of loosening up measures too quickly. And Italy's issues are much more severe to begin with. They need to maintain current levels of lock down for another 2 months or so to keep things safe.

Bad idea for Italy to consider reopening so soon IMO. One of their greatest ongoing concerns is if the spread dramatically spread down to the south. Places like Hong Kong have demonstrated the risks of loosening up measures too quickly. And Italy's issues are much more severe to begin with. They need to maintain current levels of lock down for another 2 months or so to keep things safe.

I don't disagree there are very real risks.............

But I understand the 2-fold dilemma.

First, the risk that people have simply had as much as they can or will take, and if law-breaking starts in earnest, there will be no way to put that genie back in the bottle.

Second, the Italian state was already financially precarious, many of its banks have less than stellar balance sheets to boot.

For Italy, an emergency loan from the E-U is almost certainly necessary..........and it will be large.

Absent that, I have to wonder, and I'm sure the Italian government is too, about its ability to pay its bills. Not a theoretical concern, a literal one.

Italy’s struggle with coronavirus threatens all of the eurozone

The right wing nuts should really catch up. Their leader Trump has done a complete 180 (I think Dr Fauci and Dr Birx finally got through to him), and is now spinning the potential of over 100000 deaths as some sort of victory. He visited a sick friend in hospital and is reminding g us that it isn’t just the flu, despite his frequent assertions that it was not so long ago.
Never play football with Faux Snooze and its teammates. They have a bad habit of moving their goalposts, making it impossible for those with a brain to score.

The MAGA/right wing types are deeply divided on how seriously COVID-19.is to be taken. Bill Mitchell thinks it is a mild flu and Tucker Carlson is in doomsday mode.

Back