News   Jul 11, 2024
 301     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 530     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 645     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Researchers at U of T developing antibodies to 'neutralize' novel coronavirus before it invades cells

March 31, 2020 Jovana Drinjakovic

University of Toronto researcher Sachdev Sidhu and his collaborators are engineering antibody molecules that can neutralize the novel coronavirus in the body before it invades cells.

The investigator at the Donnelly Centre for Molecular and Biomolecular Research is part of a team that recently received federal funding support through a second round of emergency COVID-19 funding from the Canadian Institutes for Health Research.

Sidhu (left) already leads a different team that received support in the first round of federal funding. The goal of that project is to design antiviral medicines that block viral replication.

“With our two funded projects, we are working to develop molecules that can target the virus both inside human cells and on the outside to prevent it from getting in,” says Sidhu, who is a professor of molecular genetics in the Faculty of Medicine.

Desmond Cole is busy spouting off on Twitter that the new powers given to special constables and bylaw enforcement are racist act of oppression.

I don't have a lot of time for Desmond, or this argument. But I bring to the attention of others that I've been warning of pushback; and here's a guy with a radio show in this market and a large following doing just that.

I happen to think the nature of his pushback is .........to be charitable...........problematic. But it was foreseeable and may be impactful.

On any given day what doesn't he think is racist?

Had an interesting thought earlier and wanted to take a hand count on something so to speak.

Back in December last year myself, my family and those close to us all got a very bad flu consisting of the following:

-Heavy running nose
-Fever
-Cough
-Heavy phlegm
-Sore Throat
-Severe Fatigue

At the time I thought it was Bronchitis, Pneumonia or a bad flu. I had lost alot of energy, I could not get out of bed some days and had no appetite. I had this for around a month and could not shake it. I was starting to think I had to go to the hospital because it was that bad.

Now that I think about it, the symptoms and severity of the illness I had at the time were worse than any flu I ever had.

I am starting to wonder if Covid-19 was present alot earlier than we first thought. Given the time of year it could have been mistaken for the flu as it was flu season.

Did anyone else here have similar symptoms just prior to Christmas last year?

This idea has been floated quite a bit lately. I was sicker than I have been in early January. Who knows what it was? I probably had pneumonia. But it's also important to remember that the covid_19 symptoms could be many things. Even with stringent criteria for the testing, the majority of tests come back negative. In Ontario, almost 58,000 tests have been administered; 2,400 were positive. So a lot of people have had flu-like/cold-like/respiratory systems but don't have covid_19.

This idea has been floated quite a bit lately. I was sicker than I have been in early January. Who knows what it was? I probably had pneumonia. But it's also important to remember that the covid_19 symptoms could be many things. Even with stringent criteria for the testing, the majority of tests come back negative. In Ontario, almost 58,000 tests have been administered; 2,400 were positive. So a lot of people have had flu-like/cold-like/respiratory systems but don't have covid_19.

Fair enough.. it was one of those random thoughts I had while attempting to learn how to juggle earlier.

Had an interesting thought earlier and wanted to take a hand count on something so to speak.

Back in December last year myself, my family and those close to us all got a very bad flu consisting of the following:

-Heavy running nose
-Fever
-Cough
-Heavy phlegm
-Sore Throat
-Severe Fatigue

At the time I thought it was Bronchitis, Pneumonia or a bad flu. I had lost alot of energy, I could not get out of bed some days and had no appetite. I had this for around a month and could not shake it. I was starting to think I had to go to the hospital because it was that bad.

Now that I think about it, the symptoms and severity of the illness I had at the time were worse than any flu I ever had.

I am starting to wonder if Covid-19 was present alot earlier than we first thought. Given the time of year it could have been mistaken for the flu as it was flu season.

Not likely - if it was that widespread enough for you to catch it, things would have gone south a lot sooner than now (and the inevitable deaths would have shown up earlier too).

AoD

But what if it went undetected because nobody thought to look for it?

Doesn't matter - if there were zero precautions it would have gone exponential - and you can't possibly miss that given the severity of the illness. You should have heard about mass outbreaks and deaths at nursing homes, swamped ICUs, etc.

AoD

This idea has been floated quite a bit lately. I was sicker than I have been in early January. Who knows what it was?
I expect when this is done almost half of everyone in Canada will test positive for Covid19 antibodies. In early March I attended a tradeshow in Niagara Falls, did I pick up something? IDK, but we‘re keeping well distant from everyone.

-Heavy running nose
-Fever
-Cough
-Heavy phlegm
-Sore Throat
-Severe Fatigue

Yes I had that in early November of last year. Took about three weeks to get over. i assumed it was just a bad case of the flu.

Back