News   Jul 11, 2024
 279     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 526     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 639     1 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Yes I had that in early November of last year. Took about three weeks to get over. i assumed it was just a bad case of the flu.

That's exactly it. I think this has been around for awhile but went undetected because of flu season.

It wasn't until people started dropping in China where the flu isn't as prevalent (compared to colder climates) that people realised it wasn't flu season causing it.

Last edited:
A lot of people are simply having anxiety causing a sore throat or shortness of breath too.

Last night I couldn't sleep as I thought I had shortness of breath and then the next morning I was fine

Healthcare workers make up 1 in 10 known cases of COVID-19 in Ontario

229 lab-confirmed cases are workers in healthcare sector, provincial data reveals

Lauren Pelley · CBC News · Posted: Apr 02, 2020 4:00 AM ET

Healthcare workers make up roughly 1 in every 10 of the known COVID-19 cases in Ontario, totalling 229 lab-confirmed cases to date, CBC News has learned.

The finding is ringing alarms as hospitals across Canada are bracing for an expected surge in patients with the potentially deadly respiratory illness — which comes amid ongoing concerns over potential shortages of personal protective equipment for front-line health-care workers.

Headaches abound for our agricultural sector.

Canada has permitted many foreign farm workers to come in; but in many cases, the visa issuing offices are closed; while flights from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean are scarce.

This really does portray the need for more involvement of locals; but that will mean improved pay/working conditions, which in turn will mean higher prices for produce.

On conditions, the article notes that the housing often provided to migrant workers on Canadian farms can be crowded, often old-style dormitory (rows of bunk beds), which may be ideal for the spread of Covid.

Should that happen, those workers may end up in our local hospitals............

Headaches abound for our agricultural sector.

Canada has permitted many foreign farm workers to come in; but in many cases, the visa issuing offices are closed; while flights from Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean are scarce.

This really does portray the need for more involvement of locals; but that will mean improved pay/working conditions, which in turn will mean higher prices for produce.

On conditions, the article notes that the housing often provided to migrant workers on Canadian farms can be crowded, often old-style dormitory (rows of bunk beds), which may be ideal for the spread of Covid.

Should that happen, those workers may end up in our local hospitals............

Decent money is part of it, but many of the farmers that require seasonal help complain that local folk simply don't want to do it. It's hard, long work. Mechanization has helped in some crops but manual labour is still largely necessary. I worked with a guy who worked tobacco farms in high school and university - from what he described, it sounded like the worse job on the planet, right next to tree planting.

Living conditions probably vary widely. I've been on some Bradford area farms and some seemed pretty decent, but dorm style for sure. No single living. I've spoken to some seasonal workers, primarily Caribbean who said than, other than family separation, the conditions (and money) are better than home.

Decent money is part of it, but many of the farmers that require seasonal help complain that local folk simply don't want to do it. It's hard, long work. Mechanization has helped in some crops but manual labour is still largely necessary. I worked with a guy who worked tobacco farms in high school and university - from what he described, it sounded like the worse job on the planet, right next to tree planting.

Living conditions probably vary widely. I've been on some Bradford area farms and some seemed pretty decent, but dorm style for sure. No single living. I've spoken to some seasonal workers, primarily Caribbean who said than, other than family separation, the conditions (and money) are better than home.

No question it can be hard labour; again though, issues around length of work day, days off, proper equipment.

All these investments cost money. If you are at maximum harvest, and you cap the work day at 8 hours, you need a lot more staff to get through.

That's part of what makes it so tough.

To my understanding, mechanization of grains/cereals is extremely high.

Root Vegetables are also pretty mechanized.

Soft, bruise-able fruit/veg extremely low ( tomatoes, strawberries etc.), lettuce and asparagus are 2 others.

Lots others in-between.

But imagine having to get down to the level at which strawberries or asparagus grown to prune, adjust soil levels, or harvest.

I certainly couldn't do it. I would have found that tough in my teens.

I expect we will see further mechanization; I'm not entirely sure why lettuce is done by hand so much.

If I'm understanding this, it may be entirely a function of how cheap labour has been.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Toronto mayor calls for blitz as residents continue to access shuttered sports fields

Chris Fox Web Content Writer, CP24

Published Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:09AM EDT

TORONTO --Mayor John Tory says that he has asked Police Chief Mark Saunders to authorize a “substantial enforcement blitz” amid reports that many residents are continuing to openly flout the closure of sports fields, running tracks and other community assets.

The province has ordered the closure of all outdoor recreational amenities in an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19 but there have been repeated instances of people violating that order, sometimes brazenly.

On Wednesday CP24’s cameras captured dozens of people accessing a running track at North Toronto Collegiate Institute by hopping over a locked gate. There were also hundreds of cars seen parked at Sunnyside Beach, despite the fact that the city had closed all parking lots at parks and beaches as part of an earlier order.

Toronto mayor calls for blitz as residents continue to access shuttered sports fields

Chris Fox Web Content Writer, CP24

Published Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:09AM EDT

TORONTO --Mayor John Tory says that he has asked Police Chief Mark Saunders to authorize a “substantial enforcement blitz” amid reports that many residents are continuing to openly flout the closure of sports fields, running tracks and other community assets.

The province has ordered the closure of all outdoor recreational amenities in an attempt to limit the spread of COVID-19 but there have been repeated instances of people violating that order, sometimes brazenly.

On Wednesday CP24’s cameras captured dozens of people accessing a running track at North Toronto Collegiate Institute by hopping over a locked gate. There were also hundreds of cars seen parked at Sunnyside Beach, despite the fact that the city had closed all parking lots at parks and beaches as part of an earlier order.

People will not learn... I blame the influencer and tiktok generation.

A lot of people are simply having anxiety causing a sore throat or shortness of breath too.

Last night I couldn't sleep as I thought I had shortness of breath and then the next morning I was fine

That is true.

I have an anxiety disorder, and so does my boy friend. It's been bad the past weeks, I get off and on tightness in the chest, and i get numbness and tinglings in my arms and legs. My BF when his anxiety is bad, he gets panic attacks, dry mouth and goes the bathroom a lot..

Like so many others, we are out of work. Unemployment takes a huge emotional and mental toll. My BF is permanently done work May 1. His office isn't renewing the lease. And I'm not sure what the business world is going to be like when i go back to work.

Back