News   Jul 15, 2024
 610     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 761     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 600     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Coronavirus: What could the West learn from Asia?

By Helier Cheung BBC News

The number of coronavirus cases in the West is skyrocketing, and countries have announced drastic measures, including school closures and lockdowns.

The outbreak hit many countries in Asia several weeks earlier - and some have been praised for containing the number of infections. For example, Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan all kept case numbers relatively low - despite their proximity to mainland China.

What did they do differently - and are there any lessons for other countries?

As a result of discussions elsewhere.....

I have a comparison of results between Michigan and Ontario. We certainly can't be complacent or smug in any way. We can be concerned for our neighbours to the south.

Ontario tested: (and processed) 13,178 (pending on another 5,400)
Positives: 311
Infection Rate: 2.4%

Michigan tested 2,618
Positives: 549
Infection Rate: 21%

Roughly 9x higher

As a result of discussions elsewhere.....

I have a comparison of results between Michigan and Ontario. We certainly can't be complacent or smug in any way. We can be concerned for our neighbours to the south.

Ontario tested: (and processed) 13,178 (pending on another 5,400)
Positives: 311
Infection Rate: 2.4%

Michigan tested 2,618
Positives: 549
Infection Rate: 21%

Roughly 9x higher
The problem with these comparisons is that they MAY not be looking at oranges vs oranges. We are testing people who have been exposed (or are trying to) in addition to people who show signs. Are Michigan only testing people who are sick? We may very well be 'doing better' but without more details I do not think the figures you quote prove much except that Michigan should be testing far more - as should we but we are 'ahead'.

The problem with these comparisons is that they MAY not be looking at oranges vs oranges. We are testing people who have been exposed (or are trying to) in addition to people who show signs. Are Michigan only testing people who are sick? We may very well be 'doing better' but without more details I do not think the figures you quote prove much except that Michigan should be testing far more - as should we but we are 'ahead'.

Completely fair.

Not sure I can get that level of detail for either Ontario, or Michigan.

I looked at the raw data for Michigan, as published, it shows what types of labs did the test (Dept of Health vs Hospital, vs Commercial Lab), but doesn't specify a reason for the test.

Ontario's data doesn't seem to include that level of detail either.

Completely fair.

Not sure I can get that level of detail for either Ontario, or Michigan.

I looked at the raw data for Michigan, as published, it shows what types of labs did the test (Dept of Health vs Hospital, vs Commercial Lab), but doesn't specify a reason for the test.

Ontario's data doesn't seem to include that level of detail either.
I think nobody can really tell, yet and we may not get proper comparative date until AFTER it's all over! Just as number of murders figures in a population are usually pretty fair comparisons (since most murders get reported), reports of death numbers are also fairly comparable (though with them there does seem to be much greater risk of covid-19 severity/death with older age so one also really needs to know ages of the dead and ages of both comparative populations.) Bottom line: There are lies, damned lies and statistics!

So given how well it could work, for hospital infections and for health more generally, why isn’t copper everywhere? Why isn’t every door knob, every subway rail, every ICU room, made of copper? Why can we easily buy stainless steel water bottles, but not copper? Where are the copper iPhone cases?

I think nobody can really tell, yet and we may not get proper comparative date until AFTER it's all over! Just as number of murders figures in a population are usually pretty fair comparisons (since most murders get reported), reports of death numbers are also fairly comparable (though with them there does seem to be much greater risk of covid-19 severity/death with older age so one also really needs to know ages of the dead and ages of both comparative populations.) Bottom line: There are lies, damned lies and statistics!

Death tolls in Ontario and Michigan, in absolute terms are still quite low, thankfully.

Which makes the sample size very error prone.

That said, since you brought it up, I looked it up.

Michigan: 4 deaths
Ontario: 2 deaths

So..

I've been cooped up in the house watching The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut and A Clockwork Orange during all this.

Now I've taken an interest in axes and a breakdown in society. I'm not taking too well mentally to the highly suggested isolation methinks.

Oops.

So..

I've been cooped up in the house watching The Shining, Eyes Wide Shut and A Clockwork Orange during all this.

Now I've taken an interest in axes and a breakdown in society. I'm not taking too well mentally to the highly suggested isolation methinks.

Oops.

Go out for a walk. Keep a respectable distance from others. But go enjoy an area park or scenic streetscape. Its sunny out.........bit cool though, so bundle up! Good for the mental health.

Back