News   May 02, 2024
 805     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 233     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 313     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

From link.

Based on the recommendation of the Chief Medical Officer of Health and in alignment with the National Advisory Committee on Immunization’s (NACI) recent recommendation, the province will begin offering booster doses of the COVID-19 vaccine to the following vulnerable populations if at least six months have passed since their last dose:​
  • Individuals aged 70 and over (born in 1951 or earlier);
  • Health care workers and designated essential caregivers in congregate settings (including long-term care home and retirement home staff and designated caregivers);
  • Individuals who received a complete series of a viral vector vaccine (two doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine or one dose of the Janssen vaccine); and
  • First Nation, Inuit and Métis adults and their non-Indigenous household members.
Booster doses are being offered to these groups based on evidence of gradual waning immunity six months after receiving their second dose and a higher risk of severe illness from COVID-19.​
By "70", they mean in the the "calendar" year. Probably, by January, 2022, they'll change it to "70" in the "2022" calendar year.
The Minister of Health said today she will have an announcement later this week about extending the boosters to more age groups.

It feels like booster shots are happening really slowly. It seems like it's been 70+ for some time now. I'm looking forward to the booster shot, but not the scheduling part if it's going to be like the first two shots.

contact a pharmacy, it seems to be much more efficient than going through the provincial or local health unit systems

contact a pharmacy, it seems to be much more efficient than going through the provincial or local health unit systems
Contact your doctor. They may give you a booster, if you are "vulnerable" for whatever is your problem. A pharmacy is not your "medical professional", unless it to get your "medicine" renewed.

It feels like booster shots are happening really slowly. It seems like it's been 70+ for some time now. I'm looking forward to the booster shot, but not the scheduling part if it's going to be like the first two shots.

The way our health unit is explaining it, they didn't want their vaccination capacity booked up with boosters when they were anticipating the 'under 18' approval, which has now happened. I can't get into the system to book until the 6-month anniversary of my last shot. There's only so much jab capacity and they'd rather get one shot in the kids as fast as possible.
I hope you have better luck than us. We booked flu shots through our 'very large corporate chain' pharmacy website, only to find out that their communication with local stores is somewhat lacking. I just happened to overhear the pharmacist tell a customer that they are fully booked and knew virtually nothing about the corporate website.

I would go through my doctor but I de-rostered from him a few months ago. Risky move but it had to be done. Can't get on the list of one accepting new patients until January.

261456078_10166102233245221_2829778535756438558_n.jpg
From link.

It's pretty damn slow. My friends in the states, who are well under 40, already have their booster shots. They got it about a month ago. But they also got the vaccine months before we did.

It's pretty damn slow. My friends in the states, who are well under 40, already have their booster shots. They got it about a month ago. But they also got the vaccine months before we did.
Guess if Canada kept their vaccine manufacturers instead of the Conservatives selling them off, Canada might make its own vaccines to distribute here. Instead, Canada has to wait in line.

Contact your doctor. They may give you a booster, if you are "vulnerable" for whatever is your problem. A pharmacy is not your "medical professional", unless it to get your "medicine" renewed.
Lots of doctors aren't giving out the booster shots. I was referring to pharmacies for those who know they are eligible, like me who had two AZ shots.

The thing about booster shots in Canada is that we cannot rely on data from other countries such as Israel, where the delay initially recommended by vaccine manufacturers between doses was respected, and where vaccines were not mixed. I have a 65-year-old friend who got an AZ followed by a Moderna 12 weeks later, at the end of June. How protective is this combination, and for how long, for someone his age? Who knows! And even if eligibility to boosters is extended to his age category later this week, he will still have to wait until the end of December if the six-month delay after the second dose is maintained.

For my 2nd shot I was on a waiting list at Rexall for ages and decided to try the provincial booking site - got an appointment in 2 days - at a City Clinic. Very fast on 'shot-day' too (MTCC) so I also got my flu shot there, equally easily. I think that in an ideal world there would be ONE booking system but I realise this was all thrown together quite fast and it does work - though in 'streams' (pharmacies, hospitals, public health units etc etc)

Lots of doctors aren't giving out the booster shots. I was referring to pharmacies for those who know they are eligible, like me who had two AZ shots.
Got my booster of Pfizer from my doctor, at the same time I got my high dose flu shot. (Different arms.)

Back