News   May 02, 2024
 808     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 233     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 314     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

November 30, 2021

City of Toronto announces plan to reopen City Hall, Metro Hall and civic centres and expanded return of office staff on January 4 Today, Mayor John Tory and City Manager Chris Murray announced the next steps in the City of Toronto's reopening and recovery process.

The City will reopen City Hall, Metro Hall and civic centres on January 4, 2022.

At City Hall, the public will be able to access the lobby, washrooms, library, and counter services on the first floor and attend scheduled meetings with Councillors. Hours of operation are from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Friday. Note that some in-person services may have their own hours of operation.

On January 4, the City also will be welcoming back all fully vaccinated office staff who have been working remotely. While office staff who have worked from home account for approximately 25 per cent of the City’s overall workforce of almost 33,000, 75 per cent of City staff have never worked from home and have been working throughout the pandemic, and continue to work, on the front lines. Many office staff started returning to City offices this fall, and on January 4, all office staff will return to the office at least three days per week.

The health and safety of residents, businesses and City staff remain key priorities in all re-opening plans. Provincial and public health guidelines will be in place including mandatory masks, physical distancing, protective barriers and increased sanitization and cleaning protocols. The City continues to closely monitor COVID-19 and its variants, as has been the case since the start of the pandemic, basing its decisions on scientific evidence.

To support this cautious return, starting today, every City office building will be open to the maximum occupancy possible, based on physical distancing requirements and that will increase automatically as the pandemic recedes and physical distancing requirements are lifted by the province. Members of Council will have the option to attend Council and Committee meetings in-person or virtually. Until physical distancing measures are lifted, members of the public will continue to participate in Council and committee meetings remotely.

Opening civic centres to the public and having office workers return, in a safe and responsible manner, is another step in Toronto’s recovery from this pandemic and a return to a more active and thriving downtown core. The return of the City’s office staff on January 4 and adopting a maximum occupancy are important signals to other workplaces that it is time to return and reinvigorate the economy and office areas across the city.

Throughout the pandemic, the City accelerated the digital transformation that was already underway as part of its overall modernization efforts and ModernTO plan, the City’s plan to optimize and modernize its workspaces and how its employees work. During this time, the City has modernized and improved customer experience, making many of its counter services available online and will continue to deliver convenient digital services ensuring choice, accessibility and equity for residents.

The latest information about City services is available on the COVID-19: Changes to City Services webpage: www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19/covid-19-latest-city-of-toronto-news/affected-city-services/.

November 30, 2021

City of Toronto announces plan to reopen City Hall, Metro Hall and civic centres and expanded return of office staff on January 4 Today, Mayor John Tory and City Manager Chris Murray announced the next steps in the City of Toronto's reopening and recovery process.

The City will reopen City Hall, Metro Hall and civic centres on January 4, 2022.
It is a rather odd time to announce this.

The banks are all in the process of announcing mass returns-to-the-office beginning in January.

This is to be expected.
I expected it - before the omicron variant! But I suppose there is no point in altering plans unless we know what we are dealing with. At this point I'm expecting to return to my own office when it's time to vacate it at the end of my lease...

I'm getting the impression that all of these travel-related COVID tests aren't doing their job. Or they're not strict enough, or not being enforced or something.

I'm getting the impression that all of these travel-related COVID tests aren't doing their job. Or they're not strict enough, or not being enforced or something.
Partly because the test measures what you have when you take it - often 72 hours BEFORE travelling. The new policy of insisting on ARRIVAL tests is clearly going to catch more (if not 100%) of infections.

From BBC:

This is why post-hoc travel bans doens't work very well.

AoD

More countries are added to Canada's travel ban list today.

Back