News   Jul 15, 2024
 79     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 345     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

By now, most of the ICU patients are unvaccinated. It's their choice and their right as they quite loudly proclaim.

I do think those who can't be vaccinated (for example <12 years), and or vaccinated who catch it (and end up in hospital/ICU) should get military help. Those who had their surgeries cancelled (because the unvaccinated refused to get vaccinated and thus created a problem for everyone else) should be given help from the military. Those need any non-medical hospital help should get military help.

The good thing is triage may come soon in Saskatchewan anyways, so just statistically, unvaccinated people suffering severe COVID likely will get deprioritized, since their chance of survival is lower statistically.
Healthcare providers aren't policy makers. They will treat whoever rolls in the door - as they should. You are possibly right that severe Covid patients might get triaged down but it will have more to do with individual survivability and viability as assessed. That will have an element of statistics applied to it based on their medical knowledge.

Saskatchewan has been transferring some ICU patients to Ontario.

...On top of it all, the hundreds of people involved all need to have the proper cross-border work permits, and be available for the time needed (roadies often work with different bands).
If you can get a big scale tour going in less than 2-3 months, you'd be a god.
Most comedians however, don't need much more than a microphone and stool, and will use existing sound/lighting equipment or hire a local production company for the gig.
It will probably remain prohibitively difficult just to find enough people to put together a large US-based crew that could cross the border, for as long as doing that will require proof of being fully vaccinated. Some states, for example South Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, and Georgia, are apparently stalled at under 50% fully vaccinated,
https://www.mayoclinic.org/coronavirus-covid-19/vaccine-tracker

so Nascar won't be back at Mosport anytime soon. 🤣

Last edited:
I admit that despite being fully vaccinated, the thought of sitting in a packed restaurant or bar without open windows certainly gives me some pause.
Yep. And my employer just mandated office attendance, and made masks optional while sitting at a desk or in meeting rooms. All predicated on the outdated notion of 6 ft distancing being sufficient to prevent transmission. Of course, they assured us that we can continue to wear masks ourselves if we feel like it. Thanks!

Our office reopened earlier this month, but most people opted to not come back, so those who are in the office can socially distance.

Yep. And my employer just mandated office attendance, and made masks optional while sitting at a desk or in meeting rooms. All predicated on the outdated notion of 6 ft distancing being sufficient to prevent transmission. Of course, they assured us that we can continue to wear masks ourselves if we feel like it. Thanks!
That's the public health recommendation, actually. Office workers don't need to mask as long as desks have enough space between them. It's a bit ridiculous, but you can't blame the company for that. Now, they could make masks mandatory, but the worst you can accuse them of is doing the bare minimum.

They were spirited and eager as they gathered at the Newmarket hockey rink, a league of older men, all double-vaccinated and keen to finally get back to a sport they’d put on ice since the start of the pandemic.
Now they are recovering from COVID-19, one of their teammates dead, wondering if this tragedy could have been averted.

A timely reminder that the vaccine only instructs your immune system to more quickly attack the virus when it finds it. It is neither a forcefield that blocks the virus, nor does it boost the total capacity of your immune system. It only works with what you already have, and if you have very little, it can only do very little.

EDIT: also related to this, from personal family experience, there are a lot of men over 50 who ignore all the warning signs that they are not in very good health, and act like they are. They cling to things that allow them to pretend they are fine, like "I must be OK because I can play hockey once a week". In the past, this reality would crumble when heart attack #1 happens, which is usually survivable with a near full recovery. Now it's COVID that happens, and it is often not very survivable, and when it is you may not recover for a very long time.

Last edited:

This was a study done in part out of McMaster in Hamilton.
Also it was funded by FastGrants, which was launched by George Mason University economics professors last year in light of their review of the US NIH's abysmal speed on approval of grants. I note the same professors were screaming as early as January this year about "first doses first" and to allow mixed vaccine doses based on available supply to speed up the process, saying the existing process was not based on any fact or evidence, and the regulators were acting as though it was an ordinary event and not extraordinary circumstances and their delays were literally allowing mass deaths. They were generally exactly right.

Even though COVID is running rampant in Ontario schools. nearly 45% of all new COVID cases are in schools.

Ontario won't include COVID-19 on list of mandatory immunizations, top doctor confirms​

Ontario will not require students to be vaccinated against COVID-19 to attend school and will not add the vaccine to its list of mandatory immunizations, which includes illnesses like polio and measles, the province's top doctor says.

I’d be resigning from that place within the month of that announcement. Life is too short to get f#cked around by some boss, and there’s something really powerful about quitting.

I haven’t seen my office or my coworkers since March of 2020. We don’t even do Zoom, instead we just have good old teleconferences or one on one calls. I see my boss once a week or so in his backyard for coffee and lunch. There’s no way I’m going back to the old ways.

I’d be resigning from that place within the month of that announcement. Life is too short to get f#cked around by some boss, and there’s something really powerful about quitting.

I haven’t seen my office or my coworkers since March of 2020. We don’t even do Zoom, instead we just have good old teleconferences or one on one calls. I see my boss once a week or so in his backyard for coffee and lunch. There’s no way I’m going back to the old ways.
I was pretty frustrated. I like the work and my immediate team. This mandate is coming from upper management. As much lip service as they pay to employee safety being their top priority, they seem to be hewing to 'minimum required by law' currently. If they were allowed to be less safe, they would!

I was pretty frustrated. I like the work and my immediate team. This mandate is coming from upper management. As much lip service as they pay to employee safety being their top priority, they seem to be hewing to 'minimum required by law' currently. If they were allowed to be less safe, they would!

Is everyone vaccinated in your office?

I think that sums up the corporate mindset since time immemorial...

Only to a certain extent - Being flippant, but Fight Club should be referenced here where they reference the recall analyst formula of A x B x C > X applies...
A = Number of accidents
B = Probability of accidents
C = Average out of court settlement for said accidents
X = Efficiency gains from being less safe.
If A x B x C > X, you increase safety.
If A x B x C < X, you reduce safety!

Back