News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 817     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I'm not sure why we can't have two plans in the case of the CNE and push back dates in the case of others.

Take the CNE: August as planned or a shorter 1/2-week October/November date if the numbers aren't low enough by then. The fact that it's at the end of the summer is arbitrary, and even early November is still generally warm enough to do outdoor events with little discomfort. There are plenty of events that happen around that later time on CNE grounds, from Screamers to the Royal Agricultural Fair that could be combined with the CNE to help attendance. The PC SuperDogs show doesn't need to happen during the summer, ffs.

The problem is that vendors and organizers need time to plan. They need 1 plan, not 2 and they need to know now what is going on not in three months when the time comes.

They have contractual obligations that have to be met and vendors may not be able to change their dates on short notice. Decisions need to be made now.. we cannot plan for both contingencies with large events, this is not a backyard BBQ.

The CNE is a special beast. It is outdoors but there are also large portions that are indoors. Both are tightly packed and anyone who has been to the food building knows it is not the place to be during a pandemic. You also would have a hard time limiting the amount of people who attend while still making it financially viable.

Indoor buildings can be subject to capacity limits.

Its not particularly hard to do.

So can the grounds.

Specific activities that require close proximity of lots of people could be nixed if needs be.

The Taste of the Danforth is outdoors but at the same time, the crowds make social distancing impossible.

Its a bit harder to limit the number of people at Taste; but it could be done; but as noted by @zang its all an event whose date could be shifted if desired.

Caribana, Pride and the Indy are all internationally recognized events with large crowds. While outdoors, they do attract large groups of people from around the world.

Indy; is already a controlled-attendance event; and capacity could easily be capped (though, personally, not an event I would lament the loss of....)

Caribana and Pride are more challenging; but workable. We needn't debate all the logistics.

Some events would be nixed; its the blanket nixing of all them that irks me.

I know that it may not seem justified on the surface but when you start to dissect what the events actually involve, you will start to see why they did what they did.

We will have to disagree here.

Keep in mind as well that you cannot cancel these sort of large events with a months notice due to contractual obligations, planning, etc. They need months worth of notice and now is the time to make the decisions with the least amount of impact.

Absolutely; but months of notice to cancel is not needed if you don't cancel.

And you can leave the decisions for many of these in the hands of organizers, based on reasonable guidance about safety/capacity. They may well choose to cancel; and if they choose, so be it.

Nobody knows what life will be like in July or August be it minimal cases or 10000 cases a day so we need to plan ahead.

If its 10,000 cases a day, then the vaccines are completely ineffective and there will be a revolution with government overthrown..............LOL

I hope we don't need to plan for that; I didn't buy revolution insurance.....

Yes but when it comes time for the second doses people who went to pop-ups, pharmacies and mobile clinics will be scrambling to find out where and when their second dose is.

The mass immunization clinics book your first and second dose at the same time at the same location. No guesswork.

I got mine (Moderna) at St. Joe's. Not a pop-up... but they also did not book second appointments. They are supposed to contact me to tell me when that will be. But at least it should be at the same location and I shouldn't have to chase it down.

They have contractual obligations that have to be met and vendors may not be able to change their dates on short notice. Decisions need to be made now.. we cannot plan for both contingencies with large events, this is not a backyard BBQ.

Just about every major outdoor event will have a contingency plan. And we're not talking about waiting until the day before to cancel here. A month ahead of time if our numbers haven't significantly dropped, then it gets pushed back. All out cancellation is a last resort.

Regardless, "contractual obligation" a bit of a specious argument as contingencies can be (and very often are) written into contracts, too.

Cancelling events three and a half months from now is fine if there's a complete lack of certainty like this time last year. However, current projections are putting every region of Ontario at under 40 cases per 100,000 by the end of June, and those projections get better every day with every vaccination. About a week ago it was early September.

With the vaccines here, the certainty that things will be well under control by mid-August is a much greater than not. It's the known vs. the unknown, and compared to this time last year, we're very heavily leaning to the "known" side.

Ontario is reporting 2,362 cases of #COVID19 and over 44,000 tests completed. Still going down, slowly but ...

cases.jpg

Last edited:
I got mine (Moderna) at St. Joe's. Not a pop-up... but they also did not book second appointments. They are supposed to contact me to tell me when that will be. But at least it should be at the same location and I shouldn't have to chase it down.
Check your cellphone text from your first shot. For weeks after my Moderna shot I thought my second shot wasn't scheduled, since the email PDF receipt I received from Unity Health doesn't show it - see below, it just says your next shot is schediuled... followed by a blank. But then I checked the text receipt they also sent to my phone and sure enough the Unity Health text gave a firm date and time for my second shot in July.

Unity Health Receipt.JPG

Check your cellphone text from your first shot. For weeks after my Moderna shot I thought my second shot wasn't scheduled, since the email PDF receipt I received from Unity Health doesn't show it - see below, it just says your next shot is schediuled... followed by a blank. But then I checked the text receipt they also sent to my phone and sure enough the Unity Health text gave a firm date and time for my second shot in July.
Oh...weird....you're right. I thought I just got another reminder for the same appointment, but I do in fact have another booked for August. Thanks for pointing that out!

Oh...weird....you're right. I thought I just got another reminder for the same appointment, but I do in fact have another booked for August. Thanks for pointing that out!
I bet a lot of people are in the same boat, thinking (and at risk of missing) their second appointment isn't booked.

Ontario is reporting 2,362 cases of #COVID19 and over 44,000 tests completed. Still going down, slowly but ...

View attachment 319438
Boo. I hate charts that don't start at zero. It's misleading for people who don't pay close attention. I would describe the current situation as a plateau or gradual decline. That chart makes it look like we've made more progress than we have in reality.

Boo. I hate charts that don't start at zero. It's misleading for people who don't pay close attention. I would describe the current situation as a plateau or gradual decline. That chart makes it look like we've made more progress than we have in reality.
Yes, I agree. It's not my chart. Lies, damned lies and statistics!

Back