News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 694     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Just finished reading this fascinating (and enraging) article in Wired about the bad science behind the WHO and CDC's recommendations on COVID transmission: https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

Made me think back to how when I got my vaccine last week, I spent 45 minutes in line in a poorly-ventilated school hallway sharing air that dozens, maybe even hundreds of people had just been breathing. We all dutifully stood two metres apart, but no doors or windows were open, no HEPA air purifiers were running, nobody was monitoring the level of CO2, and people in line in front of me were talking loudly. It was a superspreader event waiting to happen, and totally avoidable.
I thought the idea of appointments is to show up shortly before and minimize the time in line.

I thought the idea of appointments is to show up shortly before and minimize the time in line.
Turns out that 4x as many doses are being delivered by pop-ups as the mass immunization clinics, so most people are showing up without a pre-scheduled appointment and potentially waiting in line: https://thelocal.to/behind-the-sudden-drop-at-torontos-mass-immunization-clinics/

Also worth pointing out that waiting in line outdoors has negligible risk, so where possible the city should be letting people wait outside and go directly from the door to their immunization station. That's clearly not how it's being managed though.

Turns out that 4x as many doses are being delivered by pop-ups as the mass immunization clinics, so most people are showing up without a pre-scheduled appointment and potentially waiting in line: https://thelocal.to/behind-the-sudden-drop-at-torontos-mass-immunization-clinics/

Also worth pointing out that waiting in line outdoors has negligible risk, so where possible the city should be letting people wait outside and go directly from the door to their immunization station. That's clearly not how it's being managed though.

Not surprising. People do want to be vaccinated.

I am of the mindset that they should have only done vaccinations at the city run clinics. No pop-ups or pharmacies just one place, one coordinated effort.

I am of the mindset that they should have only done vaccinations at the city run clinics. No pop-ups or pharmacies just one place, one coordinated effort.
I don’t think it’s much of a problem having various types of vaccine sites. New York has even expanded vaccine clinics to select MTA stations. You get a free 7 day Metrocard too!

I don’t think it’s much of a problem having various types of vaccine sites. New York has even expanded vaccine clinics to select MTA stations. You get a free 7 day Metrocard too!

Yes but when it comes time for the second doses people who went to pop-ups, pharmacies and mobile clinics will be scrambling to find out where and when their second dose is.

The mass immunization clinics book your first and second dose at the same time at the same location. No guesswork.

Yes but when it comes time for the second doses people who went to pop-ups, pharmacies and mobile clinics will be scrambling to find out where and when their second dose is.

The mass immunization clinics book your first and second dose at the same time at the same location. No guesswork.
I’m pretty sure friends who went to a pop up in Scarborough got a date for their second dose. Of course these appointments look like they me be changing anyways. The Province has started moving up second doses for healthcare workers and people with certain conditions. It’s looking like this may happen with everyone else too.

The reason why they used pharmacies and pop-ups was to reach more people faster than could possibly have been done by the large City-run clinics (even if they created more). The City clinics are extremely efficiently run from my experience and from what I hear; some pharmacies are good and fast and similarly some pop-ups are better than others. Overall, I think the vaccine administration has gone pretty well and most people with less mobility can now find a clinic they can get to.

America is offering all kinds of incentives for people to get the vaccine. I wouldn't mind the free beer!. 😆

From free beer to $1 million: What U.S. states are offering for COVID-19 vaccinations​

The New Jersey governor’s office announced last week that residents who show proof of at least one vaccine dose can get a free beer at one of 12 participating local breweries.

Biden on Tuesday announced the administration has partnered with Uber and Lyft to offer free rides to and from vaccination sites for all Americans.

The program will last until July 4, when Biden is hoping at least 70 per cent of Americans will have been vaccinated.

All events canceled until after labour day. No CNE in 2021.

Paywalled:

Non-Paywall: https://outline.com/56LZZz

Not epidemiologically justified.

It would make sense to restrict indoor events.

But we're on pace to have the vast majority of the population partially vaccinated by July; and almost all of the most vulnerable fully vaccinated by same.

Outdoor events; with some capacity limitations should be entirely reasonable.

While we will likely be in better shape come late summer, planners gotta plan. I wonder how the logistics of attendance control at traditional large outdoor gatherings would work. Would the venue replace the crush inside the gates for one outside as people queue trying to get in? With limited attendance, would some of these events even be viable?

All events canceled until after labour day. No CNE in 2021.
I worry about the economic hit to the city and its businesses, so I hope all can return to normal in 2022, but I have to admit I don’t miss any of these events. I grew up in the Beach(es) before the jazz festival and volleyball tournaments, and when I go down there now I‘m reminded how simpler the neighbourhood was... it wasn’t a tourist trap, but more the local park for the locals. I find as I get older I enjoy the peace of doing my own thing, my way rather than group events.

Not epidemiologically justified.

It would make sense to restrict indoor events.

But we're on pace to have the vast majority of the population partially vaccinated by July; and almost all of the most vulnerable fully vaccinated by same.

Outdoor events; with some capacity limitations should be entirely reasonable.

The CNE is a special beast. It is outdoors but there are also large portions that are indoors. Both are tightly packed and anyone who has been to the food building knows it is not the place to be during a pandemic. You also would have a hard time limiting the amount of people who attend while still making it financially viable.

The Taste of the Danforth is outdoors but at the same time, the crowds make social distancing impossible.

Caribana, Pride and the Indy are all internationally recognized events with large crowds. While outdoors, they do attract large groups of people from around the world.

I know that it may not seem justified on the surface but when you start to dissect what the events actually involve, you will start to see why they did what they did.

Keep in mind as well that you cannot cancel these sort of large events with a months notice due to contractual obligations, planning, etc. They need months worth of notice and now is the time to make the decisions with the least amount of impact.

Nobody knows what life will be like in July or August be it minimal cases or 10000 cases a day so we need to plan ahead.

The CNE is a special beast. It is outdoors but there are also large portions that are indoors. Both are tightly packed and anyone who has been to the food building knows it is not the place to be during a pandemic. You also would have a hard time limiting the amount of people who attend while still making it financially viable.
I'm not sure why we can't have two plans in the case of the CNE and push back dates in the case of others.

Take the CNE: August as planned or a shorter 1/2-week October/November date if the numbers aren't low enough by then. The fact that it's at the end of the summer is arbitrary, and even early November is still generally warm enough to do outdoor events with little discomfort. There are plenty of events that happen around that later time on CNE grounds, from Screamers to the Royal Agricultural Fair that could be combined with the CNE to help attendance. The PC SuperDogs show doesn't need to happen during the summer, ffs.

Back