News   Jun 25, 2024
 925     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 841     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Oh this ain't good. After the double mutation, Indian states are now reporting triple mutation, meaning 3 different Covid 19 strains combining to form a new variant
Not quite. Viruses don’t combine/breed. A triple mutation virus means a double mutation virus mutated again.

Edit: I should be more specific. There are antigenic shifts and antigenic drifts. Antigenic shifts are the result of two variants being in one person, antigenic drifts are what I described above; which is still a far greater likelihood. Especially given all of these come from a recent strain. Shifts usually occur in viruses with greater variance. So unless someone caught both human Covid-19 *and* a bat or pangolin coronavirus, it’s almost certainly just a third mutation.

Last edited:
Per the CBC tracker, as of today we've had 1,139,043 Covid cases since this pandemic began. Of these, 1,027,458 are resolved. I assume this means either by recovery or through the 23,713 deaths today.

What are we to make of the over one million Covid survivors? Can we consider them among the vaccinated? Will they get a passport too?

Per the CBC tracker, as of today we've had 1,139,043 Covid cases since this pandemic began. Of these, 1,027,458 are resolved. I assume this means either by recovery or through the 23,713 deaths today.

What are we to make of the over one million Covid survivors? Can we consider them among the vaccinated? Will they get a passport too?
Not a doctor, but I would consider the "resolved" as having a single dose. Would still need a dose. Whether they need another dose ("third"), I'll leave to the experts.

Not quite. Viruses don’t combine/breed. A triple mutation virus means a double mutation virus mutated again.

Edit: I should be more specific. There are antigenic shifts and antigenic drifts. Antigenic shifts are the result of two variants being in one person, antigenic drifts are what I described above; which is still a far greater likelihood. Especially given all of these come from a recent strain. Shifts usually occur in viruses with greater variance. So unless someone caught both human Covid-19 *and* a bat or pangolin coronavirus, it’s almost certainly just a third mutation.
Could be that someone was infected with both variants at the same time, or never fully cleared it (long COVID) and was exposed to a different variant.

Not a doctor, but I would consider the "resolved" as having a single dose. Would still need a dose. Whether they need another dose ("third"), I'll leave to the experts.
The indication is to get both vaccine doses.

Could be that someone was infected with both variants at the same time, or never fully cleared it (long COVID) and was exposed to a different variant.
The point was it’s extremely rare and generally happens to rather divergent strains. Almost always because they first need to get past the immune system (less likely with a previous infection; even one not fully resolved).

Antigenic Drift happens all the time and is how we’ve got the variants we have now. Antigenic Shift is more akin to lightning striking your winning lottery ticket.

I suspect that someone at NDTV (the news source for this), probably just assumed that’s how it happened, rather than getting a proper quote or explanation.

AIUI the MRNA vaccines do not care which variant they encounter, as the crown profile is not mutating.

It's a wonder why there are these variants. I thought that viruses mutated through adaptation when the immune system otherwise kills off the virus. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Last edited:
Here's my situation, for anyone who cares.

*Everyone in my family in Israel is vaccinated
*Everyone in my family in the States is vaccinated
*Everyone in my family in Montreal is vaccinated
*All of my friends in Montreal are vaccinated
*All of my friends and associates in Toronto are vaccinated
*All of my close friends friends in Toronto are vaccinated

Me?
The postal codes to the east, north and south have been deemed high risk. The one to the west is mostly offices. My postal code has been leapfrogged over.
I'm on 2 waiting lists, with Rexall and Shoppers, just to get appointments to get AZ. Pfizer and Moderna are completely out of reach. I'm 50.

Of all my contacts, close and extended, nationally and internationally, I'm the last person to be vaccinated.
Update, for anyone who cares:

I just got my first dose of AstraZeneca at Shoppers. I'm deeply thankful to everyone who's made this possible.

That said, I've spoken to my local MP and MPP's office. My ward councillor's line has been busy and their voicemail is full. I didn't want to communicate by email because I didn't want a boilerplate answer.

According to my MPP's office, the postal code selection process has been unclear and opaque. Basically, it's been a sh*t show. According to them, my local hospital went rogue and and took it upon themselves to add/not add postal codes without consulting the province or Toronto Public Health and they'll be continuing this strategy going forward. It sounds almost like they're out of control.

My MPP is trying to get answers on my behalf and on behalf of everyone in the area. My MP's office promised to follow up too.

I just got my first dose of AstraZeneca at Shoppers. I'm deeply thankful to everyone who's made this possible.

That said, I've spoken to my local MP and MPP's office. My ward councillor's line has been busy and their voicemail is full. I didn't want to communicate by email because I didn't want a boilerplate answer.

According to my MPP's office, the postal code selection process has been unclear and opaque. Basically, it's been a sh*t show. According to them, my local hospital went rogue and and took it upon themselves to add/not add postal codes without consulting the province or Toronto Public Health and they'll be continuing this strategy going forward. It sounds almost like they're out of control.

My MPP is trying to get answers on my behalf and on behalf of everyone in the area. My MP's office promised to follow up too.

Darn! No Optimum Points!

😄

AIUI the MRNA vaccines do not care which variant they encounter, as the crown profile is not mutating.

It's a wonder why there are these variants. I thought that viruses mutated through adaptation when the immune system otherwise kills off the virus. That doesn't seem to be the case here.

Replication error - each time the the viral genetic material (in this case, RNA) gets transcribed and replicated there is a chance of error. Most of the mutations are probably deleterious or neutral to the virus; some are beneficial (make it more virulent, easier to spread, etc) - these spread easier and out infects the original strain, on and on it goes.

AoD

Glad to hear you got your shot.

I also want to applaud your efforts to hold those in power to account; your efforts my succeed or not; but apathy is certain failure. So good on you (seriously) for making the effort!

Oh this ain't good. After the double mutation, Indian states are now reporting triple mutation, meaning 3 different Covid 19 strains combining to form a new variant

Time to ban flights from India to Canada.

It's already here. :(

I'm really hoping the rollout actually speeds up in May as promised. Almost everyone I know in my postal code seems to be getting appointments, but no matter how much time I invest into trying to find one, I can never find anything at all. What should have been something that gave me some hope has become something that's nothing more than endless frustration and disappointment.

Glad to hear you got your shot.

I also want to applaud your efforts to hold those in power to account; your efforts my succeed or not; but apathy is certain failure. So good on you (seriously) for making the effort!
Thanks. I appreciate that. The public needs to apply pressure and politicians need to be held accountable. That's how change happens in a democracy.

Back