News   Aug 15, 2024
 412     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 618     0 
News   Aug 15, 2024
 735     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

So . . . a lockdown, but not a lock down. No wonder folks are confused and frustrated; keeping track of this is like trying to nail jello to a wall. If they are allowing retail to re-open with capacity limits (ya, like the big box stores will do that), why couldn't they do it with places like barbers and salons. My guy is a one room/one chair operation to start with so he could easily stay in business.

I do feel sorry for the restaurants with their sunk re-opening costs.

I can see alot of businesses closing up shop rather than playing this game. I am fully expecting my salon to close up given the fact that they have been closed since November.
Not every business is going to make it. We need Cerb and other financial aid for those impacted, but still a lot are gone for good. On the flip side, think of all the brand new restaurants that will rise to fill the void in 2022.

Not every business is going to make it. We need Cerb and other financial aid for those impacted, but still a lot are gone for good. On the flip side, think of all the brand new restaurants that will rise to fill the void in 2022.

I wanted to open a restaurant at some point due to a need for change but despite having backers I turned it down because of the risk. My dream is to open a restaurant (I love to cook) but I had to put that all on hold indefinitely which sucks.

I wanted to open a restaurant at some point due to a need for change but despite having backers I turned it down because of the risk. My dream is to open a restaurant (I love to cook) but I had to put that all on hold indefinitely which sucks.
With all the closures of restaurants in last 18 months I bet there will be a flood of new ones opening as the covid situation improves and people feel safe eating out again. Of course, even in normal times the failure rate of new restaurants is VERY high. Not to throw cold water on your hopes but running a restaurant involves much more than a 'love of cooking".

With all the closures of restaurants in last 18 months I bet there will be a flood of new ones opening as the covid situation improves and people feel safe eating out again. Of course, even in normal times the failure rate of new restaurants is VERY high. Not to throw cold water on your hopes but running a restaurant involves much more than a 'love of cooking".

I realize that. I also have a College Diploma in Business and have worked very closely with small business owners for the pasts 15 years. With financial backers and some expertise it may work. It won't be easy but it is still better than the alternative.

I already have the business plan drafted up pending modifications post-covid.

I do feel sorry for the restaurants with their sunk re-opening costs.

I am not 100% sympathetic either - they should have paid more attention to the trajectory of the pandemic and not rely solely on a government that had exhibited all the traits of hail-mary decision-making. It is not their first lockdown and they should know we are nowhere near clear of COVID like last summer either. "Hope for the best" isn't a sound decision-making process for a business.

AoD

Yes and no to that. Yes it would help but at the same time there are higher risk parts of society that need it more.

Then show up to get vaccinated. Thousands of appointments remain open every week.
When the Mayor is begging people to sign up, it's time to move onto people who actually are willing to get it.

Then show up to get vaccinated. Thousands of appointments remain open every week.
When the Mayor is begging people to sign up, it's time to move onto people who actually are willing to get it.

What we need is mandatory vaccination - with exceptions only for valid medical conditions. No ifs, ands or buts.

AoD

I am not 100% sympathetic either - they should have paid more attention to the trajectory of the pandemic and not rely solely on a government that had exhibited all the traits of hail-mary decision-making. It is not their first lockdown and they should know we are nowhere near clear of COVID like last summer either. "Hope for the best" isn't a sound decision-making process for a business.

AoD
Indeed. Some of them, including Jen Agg, refused to reopen their patios because they felt it was unsafe for their staff.

We need a real shutdown, but this government is inept.

Indeed. Some of them, including Jen Agg, refused to reopen their patios because they felt it was unsafe for their staff.

We need a real shutdown, but this government is inept.
The majority of restaurant owners, especially the small independents cannot afford to do that. I'm sure most owners would rather be at home instead of risking their health and families heath. But people do have bills to pay, to keep a roof over their heads & food to be put on the table.

Even when a restaurant is lockdown, they still have to pay monthly water, gas, and electricity bills regardless of how much they used. You need some deep pockets to stay afloat during these shutdowns. Rent relief isn't enough.

I'm 50. If there are open spots and presumably now thawed and perishable vaccines just sitting there I should be able to walk in and get one. Obviously a lot of the 70 plus crowd aren't coming, so open it up to everyone.

The majority of restaurant owners, especially the small independents cannot afford to do that. I'm sure most owners would rather be at home instead of risking their health and families heath. But people do have bills to pay, to keep a roof over their heads & food to be put on the table.

Even when a restaurant is lockdown, they still have to pay monthly water, gas, and electricity bills regardless of how much they used. You need some deep pockets to stay afloat during these shutdowns. Rent relief isn't enough.

True, but can they afford the cost of reopening and then shutting down dine-in again? That's for them to judge - and it may differ between businesses. Just because the government said you can do so doesn't mean it makes sense knowing the continued risk of a third wave that is basically foreordained - and complaining about the government taking this step is basically one putting their heads under the sand trying to convince themselves it will never happen.

AoD

Last edited:
What we need is mandatory vaccination - with exceptions only for valid medical conditions. No ifs, ands or buts.

AoD

Are you serious?!?!??!! Mandatory vaccination over such a non-lethal virus for the vast majority of the population? Well I guess we now know that constant fearmongering from the media and government works extremely well to brainwash people and get them to do what you want.

We've already vaccinated most if not all long term care residents and many seniors and others in the general population and as a result deaths in Ontario are very low now. So as we keep vaccinating the elderly until most of them have gotten a shot, why would everyone else need to get a shot when they're barely affected after all this time?

And while everyone was so concentrated on covid deaths where to date about 7,300 people in Ontario have died from, we lose sight of the fact that 100,000+ people died in the same time period in the province. Namely why are we still so concerned about dying by covid when there's far more things that have killed people in the past year covering a far larger portion of the population? How about we stop worrying so much about dying by covid and worry more about all the damage we've done to ourselves for no good reason?

Back