News   Jul 15, 2024
 96     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 351     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 536     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Well yeah I do agree...

Thing is I dont think there is a political argument against a blanket ban would be rather popular I think right now in the country. More a science and economic decision now.

I do know the govt is looking at certain bans right now.

Denmark reacted too late. Their schools and universities had their spring break the other week, and as is tradition over there, they all went to the Alps to ski.

Their break ended and they all came back en masse with tons of carriers of the virus. That is why Denmark went from mild to an epicentre basically overnight.

Sweeping statements about countries and their responses are meaningless without context.

I think the only thing that may require "stocking up" on would be alcohol. Specifically spirits, since beer and wine are in grocery stores. Think about it, the public's only source are gov't stores, and the gov't looks like it's taking precautions by temporarily shutting things down. So perhaps if you need whiskey, vodka, or rum - buy now.
I hope they get this under control before tick season. The last thing you want is corona and lime.

main-qimg-8bc9c9e378b71a71e39e8b6c39df9396-c
Who do beer, wine, spirits, and hand sanitizer have in common?

Brewers, wineries, and distillers have the expertise to create hand sanitizer.

Therefore, one could create a few squirts of hand sanitizer from Corona to fight the coronavirus.

Note that as a teetotaler, I don't consume the active ingredient of hand sanitizer, which is found in all alcoholic beverages in various quantities. The active ingredient of hand sanitizer is ethanol, which is drinking alcohol.

And yes:

If you "need" it, it's probably a good time to dry out. :)

Last edited:
Denmark reacted too late. Their schools and universities had their spring break the other week, and as is tradition over there, they all went to the Alps to ski.
Their break ended and they all came back en masse with tons of carriers of the virus. That is why Denmark went from mild to an epicentre basically overnight.
Sweeping statements about countries and their responses are meaningless without context.

Same reason we should be nervous about our March break - how bad things are in the US is super worrisome.

AoD

Apple Closes All Stores Outside Greater China for 2 Weeks

By Mark Gurman, 14/03/2020, 02:57:36

Apple Inc. said Saturday it’s closing its hundreds of retail stores outside of Greater China until March 27 and is moving to remote work in order to help reduce the spread of coronavirus.

In a letter posted on Apple’s website, Chief Executive Officer Tim Cook said that the “most effective way to minimize risk of the virus’s transmission is to reduce density and maximize social distance,” which led to the decision to temporarily close the stores and move corporate employees outside of Greater China to work remotely.

Apple has nearly 460 locations across the world outside of China, including about 270 stores in the U.S. Apple had earlier shuttered its stores in Italy and Spain as the world deals with the Covid-19 pandemic.

----------
Cook said that all hourly employees at the closed stores will continue to receive normal pay. He also said that the Cupertino, California-based technology giant has donated $15 million to fight coronavirus and that it would be matching employee donations two-to-one.
----------
Apple was one of the first companies to disclose the virus’s impact on its financials, saying last month that it will no longer meet its March quarter guidance range of $63 billion to $67 billion. It didn’t say how its two week closure of most stores would further impact revenue.

The stock has declined 5.3% this year, compared with the Nasdaq Composite Index’s 12% slump.

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-14/apple-to-close-all-stores-outside-of-greater-china-til-march-27

Indians rally to protest the evil coronavirus...?

Who do beer, wine, spirits, and hand sanitizer have in common?

Brewers, wineries, and distillers have the expertise to create hand sanitizer.

Therefore, one could create a few squirts of hand sanitizer from Corona to fight the coronavirus.
You need more than the 4-5% alcohol in beer. This is vodka territory.

So what's the lesson to be learned here? Take things seriously. Be pro-active, not reactive.

That would be a good lesson to take, in respect of countless problems, both societal and personal.

But as we know, people's memories are often short; when the crisis passes, the lessons tend to evaporate just as quickly.

So, I was at the neighbourhood supermarket last night.

They were taking some actions to combat or be seen to be combating COVID; and not taking others.

I was amused that they had an employee collecting all the baskets from under the cash registers and taking them out to the parking lot where they were sprayed with disinfectant, wiped down then returned to the store.

All the cashiers were also wearing gloves.

We could have a fun discussion about the effectiveness of these choices.

But I was more intrigued by what wasn't done.

Since personal space is likely the best defense, you might think the would try to space people in lines out a bit.

There are different ways to do that, ranging from a large sign, "In light of the current public health situation, please stay at least 3 feet, 1M behind the person infront of you, in line"

Additionally, or alternatively, you could mark out space at 3-5ft intervals with tape on the floor or some such thing.

The other thing I noticed was no attempt to restrict handling of produce.

I realize packaging everything would be labour intensive and bad for the environment; but putting out boxes of disposable gloves and asking people to use them; or instructing people that once you handle a fruit or veg, you're expected to buy it, not put it back.

These would not be unreasonable steps.

Also makes me wonder about spreading the use of UV disinfection as a routine technology.

You need more than the 4-5% alcohol in beer. This is vodka territory.

Not even then - Vodka is only around 40% alcohol.

I was just at two supermarkets earlier - busy, but well stocked. The main concern to me is the number of people in the store - it's precisely the opposite of social-distancing.

AoD

Last edited:
So, I was at the neighbourhood supermarket last night.

They were taking some actions to combat or be seen to be combating COVID; and not taking others.

I was amused that they had an employee collecting all the baskets from under the cash registers and taking them out to the parking lot where they were sprayed with disinfectant, wiped down then returned to the store.

All the cashiers were also wearing gloves.

We could have a fun discussion about the effectiveness of these choices.

But I was more intrigued by what wasn't done.

Since personal space is likely the best defense, you might think the would try to space people in lines out a bit.

There are different ways to do that, ranging from a large sign, "In light of the current public health situation, please stay at least 3 feet, 1M behind the person infront of you, in line"

Additionally, or alternatively, you could mark out space at 3-5ft intervals with tape on the floor or some such thing.

The other thing I noticed was no attempt to restrict handling of produce.

I realize packaging everything would be labour intensive and bad for the environment; but putting out boxes of disposable gloves and asking people to use them; or instructing people that once you handle a fruit or veg, you're expected to buy it, not put it back.

These would not be unreasonable steps.

Also makes me wonder about spreading the use of UV disinfection as a routine technology.
In Italy, they are limiting the number of people in the store at any one time and they are also supposed to practice the one metre rule. When I see all these people in the stores panic buying, I think .... but what about the crowds of people you are bumping elbows with? I've been washing everything that I buy once I get home (cans, bottles and of course produce) ... just like my mother used to do!

Back