News   Aug 09, 2024
 167     1 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 389     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 543     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Meh, I don't think the health care system really was a big factor. More of just a systemic breakdown in the US gov't in responding to the pandemic. Not to say Canada (Ontario/Quebec especially) did much better - I mean, look at post 3616 above and what Quebec is planning to do. Idiocracy.

I've said it before, but considering what we went through with SARS, I really did expect us to handle Covid-19 much better.

Meh, I don't think the health care system really was a big factor. More of just a systemic breakdown in the US gov't in responding to the pandemic. Not to say Canada (Ontario/Quebec especially) did much better - I mean, look at post 3616 above and what Quebec is planning to do. Idiocracy.

I've said it before, but considering what we went through with SARS, I really did expect us to handle Covid-19 much better.

Not just a systematic breakdown in the US government - but the underlying current among a certain percentage of the population that ending up basically dictating policy outcomes (masking and belief in the need for restrictive measures because a cultural struggle). In a lesser way the same is true here in Canada - the rush to reopen the economy is similar - the only saving grace is that we had better compliance among the general public; slightly earlier actions (thanks in no small part due to the really grim news from Italy that primed us for it - however slow we are), etc. The story isn't over yet - and I am not sure how well we will handle the second wave when it inevitably comes. Would we have the courage to shut things down again? Will the public be as willing to do so when it happens? The news out there is that people aren't distancing even in enclosed spaces that have just reopened.

AoD

Quebec with the most cases in the entire country and with rising cases in Montreal, will stop releasing daily covid total numbers. switching to weekly updates. Bars and restaurants are re-opening, this decision is irresponsible and dangerous.

Oops! :rolleyes:

Quebec reinstates daily COVID-19 data updates after public backlash

Not just a systematic breakdown in the US government - but the underlying current among a certain percentage of the population that ending up basically dictating policy outcomes (masking and belief in the need for restrictive measures because a cultural struggle). In a lesser way the same is true here in Canada - the rush to reopen the economy is similar - the only saving grace is that we had better compliance among the general public; slightly earlier actions (thanks in no small part due to the really grim news from Italy that primed us for it - however slow we are), etc. The story isn't over yet - and I am not sure how well we will handle the second wave when it inevitably comes. Would we have the courage to shut things down again? Will the public be as willing to do so when it happens? The news out there is that people aren't distancing even in enclosed spaces that have just reopened.

AoD

The second wave concerns me. The first lock-down was during crappy weather. How do you rein things in during the middle of summer? Among many there seems to be view that there was lock-down and back to normal, with no middle ground. Images from Toronto's own parks and beaches and what is occurring in cottage country are not encouraging. And if it is a little delayed and impacts schools resuming and/or tightening down daycares, again, folks will go nuts.

The second wave for the mis-named Spanish Flu happened during the fall and winter of 1918. With the heat in the southern states, most of the people there seem to crowd into cooler indoors. Seems to me that we have to avoid the crowded indoors.

spanish%20flu%20cases.jpg

From link.

Not this year. The US and their dictator are way too volatile and anti-logic, anti-science. Let them implode without dragging us down with them.
Can a few states leave the Union and join Confederation instead a few years from now?

1730px-Jesusland_map.svg.png

Blue: Canada after some states join Confederation
Red: Doomed states

To the surprise of absolutely no one: Florida just broke a Covid record.

Wonder if the Québec snowbirds returning from Florida was the reason for the spike in numbers in Québec in March/April?

Quebec snowbirds flock home from Florida in 50 chartered buses

Travel agency in Eastern Townships scrambling to get Quebecers home

From link. Dated March 19, 2020.

Philippe Tessier said he immediately thought of his 89-year-old father when he started getting phone calls at his travel agency from elderly Quebecers trying to find a way to get home from the southern U.S.

"We booked a lady last night on a bus, and she was almost crying. She had no way to get home, no way of flying. So we're just trying to help and trying to bring people home," said Tessier, the president of Expression Voyages, a travel company based in Magog, in Quebec's Eastern Townships.

All of the company's operations are on hold at the moment and aren't expected to resume anytime soon, with the restriction of non-essential travel across the Canada-U.S. border announced Wednesday.

Tessier said restrictions on air travel in North America have made it next to impossible for people outside Canada to book flights...

Back