News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 602     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 896     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Wonder if the Québec snowbirds returning from Florida was the reason for the spike in numbers in Québec in March/April?

Quebec snowbirds flock home from Florida in 50 chartered buses

Travel agency in Eastern Townships scrambling to get Quebecers home

From link. Dated March 19, 2020.

From what we have been told in Quebec, the timing of our winter/spring break, which happens before pretty much everyone else's (last week of Feb or First week of March, depending on the region) was a much bigger factor. We had hundreds of thousands of vacationers coming back from Florida, California, the Caribbeans, Mexico, Europe and from cruises, at just at the worse possible moment, carrying the virus back with them.

From link.

104653253_1497712470430507_1324215727833819683_o.jpg

From what we have been told in Quebec, the timing of our winter/spring break, which happens before pretty much everyone else's (last week of Feb or First week of March, depending on the region) was a much bigger factor. We had hundreds of thousands of vacationers coming back from Florida, California, the Caribbeans, Mexico, Europe and from cruises, at just at the worse possible moment, carrying the virus back with them.
Except Florida has a death rate of 158 /M, California 149, while Quebec is 667.
If you would have said proximity to New York - then maybe I'd believe it. After all, NY quickly became to poster child for poor COVID response.

Last edited:
EU decides on 14+1 “safe” countries allowed to the bloc on July 1

From link.

The European Union decides on Saturday on a list of 14+1 countries outside the block whose citizens will be allowed to enter EU on July 1.The countries reportedly fulfill the epidemiological criteria with infections to be at the average EU level or even lower. Among them are Australia, Japan, Canada and Lebanon. The list reportedly does not include the U.S., Russia, Turkey and Brazil. It should be noted that the ban or “green light” refer to departure airports and not travelers’ nationality.

According to European sources, among the countries from which citizens will be able to enter the EU are Australia, Lebanon, Algeria and Rwanda, while the United States is not included.

According to international media, the ‘safe’ countries list includes:​
Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, and the Vatican,
China will also be included, as long as China allows European Union visitors in the context of reciprocity.​

European Union officials confirmed on Friday that the EU would bar American travelers when it reopens its external borders on July 1, The New York Times reported.

The US is among dozens of countries deemed too risky because their coronavirus outbreaks are poorly contained, according to NYT.

The list has been finalized and is to be voted electronically by the 27 ambassadors early Saturday evening. It will be officially released next week. According to some media, it will be reviewed every two weeks.

The list has been backed by most countries’ EU ambassadors but still must be formalized by member states.

Greece and Portugal reportedly wanted to expand the list, but Germany and some other member states did not.

Member states are not legally required to abide by the list, those that do not could see other EU states close their borders to them. Some countries with economies that are especially dependent on tourism are expected to allow more foreigners by implementing health-screening protocols for arriving visitors.

Greece had reportedly threatened to go alone, unilaterally opening its borders to visitors from USA, Russian, UAE, that is to open the borders to as many countries as possible in order to save the tourist season.

A leader of protests to reopen Maryland says he is ill with COVID-19

June 27, 2020

One of the founders of ReOpen Maryland, a movement that pressured that state's governor to end his stay-at-home order, said he is ill with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

Tim Walters revealed his diagnosis in a series of Facebook videos starting Tuesday, according to the Capital Gazette. Some of the videos appear to have been deleted.

In a Facebook Live video on Thursday, Walters gave an update on his health and said he had experienced chills the day before and his fever spiked at 103. He eventually had to go to the emergency room.

"I told you guys I wasn't feeling really well. I crashed later in the day, I had to go to the emergency room. I thought I was actually having a stroke but it turns out I have COVID," he said. "Here we are at the end of June and I get it. It really doesn't make sense.

Except Florida has a death rate of 158 /M, California 149, while Quebec is 667.
If you would have said proximity to New York - then maybe I'd believe it. After all, NY quickly became to poster child for poor COVID response.
Florida has just started to explode, so those numbers may change. Hopefully not, as it makes sense that we have learned more about treating people. There is also some disparity in how each jurisdiction reports death rates so it isn't always apples to apples.

Risk of never fully recovering after coronavirus ‘very real,’ scientists say

June 26, 2020

Scientists are only starting to grasp the vast array of health problems caused by the novel coronavirus, some of which may have lingering effects on patients and health systems for years to come, according to doctors and infectious disease experts.

Besides the respiratory issues that leave patients gasping for breath, the virus that causes COVID-19 attacks many organ systems, in some cases causing catastrophic damage.

“We thought this was only a respiratory virus. Turns out, it goes after the pancreas. It goes after the heart. It goes after the liver, the brain, the kidney and other organs. We didn’t appreciate that in the beginning,” said Dr. Eric Topol, a cardiologist and director of the Scripps Research Translational Institute in La Jolla, California.

In addition to respiratory distress, patients with COVID-19 can experience blood clotting disorders that can lead to strokes, and extreme inflammation that attacks multiple organ systems. The virus can also cause neurological complications that range from headache, dizziness and loss of taste or smell to seizures and confusion.

These Canadians say they suffered COVID-19 symptoms for months

June 28, 2020

Florida has just started to explode, so those numbers may change. Hopefully not, as it makes sense that we have learned more about treating people. There is also some disparity in how each jurisdiction reports death rates so it isn't always apples to apples.
I wonder if Trump or the governor will still proceed with the August rally.

Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia, Uruguay, Andorra, San Marino, Monaco, and the Vatican,
I need Canada to remain on the blocked list until after June 30th so I can fight for my refund on my August 2nd uk trip. Of course the UK is no longer in the EU, so we’ll see when I call Expedia July 2nd.

A leader of protests to reopen Maryland says he is ill with COVID-19

June 27, 2020

One of the founders of ReOpen Maryland, a movement that pressured that state's governor to end his stay-at-home order, said he is ill with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.

Tim Walters revealed his diagnosis in a series of Facebook videos starting Tuesday, according to the Capital Gazette. Some of the videos appear to have been deleted.

In a Facebook Live video on Thursday, Walters gave an update on his health and said he had experienced chills the day before and his fever spiked at 103. He eventually had to go to the emergency room.

"I told you guys I wasn't feeling really well. I crashed later in the day, I had to go to the emergency room. I thought I was actually having a stroke but it turns out I have COVID," he said. "Here we are at the end of June and I get it. It really doesn't make sense.

Stupid is as stupid does.

AoD

It’s still early but the daily numbers of new infections out of Peel and Toronto are showing signs of perking back. The number of active cases may soon start to rise again in the province due to the failure to contain continuing community spread in these two regions.

The Ford government likely jumped the gun on moving Toronto and especially Peel to phase 2. Meanwhile, Minister Elliott keeps going on about health units having less than 5 new cases and less than 200 overall infections in the province. That’s just political cover noise. 200 cases per day in a population the size of Ontario is way too many. Outbreaks are momentum phenomena. At 200 you can’t tell if momentum is building or not until it’s too late. That’s why countries like Korea, China, and Australia jump on outbreaks even when they only have a few dozen new cases in a jurisdiction.

I think Covid numbers will be up and down like a yo-yo until they find a cure.

Australia and New Zealand were doing really well but now are seeing more Covid cases.

Deja vu here we go again. Toilet paper hoarding is back in Australia :rolleyes:

But the difference is look how proactive Australian authorities are. Is Toronto doing door to door testing and entire building testing in the NW if the City? I don’t know maybe they are but they should be. Toronto public health and Peel public health should have proactive programs systematically testing everyone in neighbourhood around the airport. Or at minimum not just a testing presence in high risk neighbourhoods but an active sentry testing program

Back