News   Aug 09, 2024
 268     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 416     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 876     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Many here will recall, I have spoken again and again about the relationship of ward-style beds and semi-private beds as well to the spread of Covid (or any other infectious disease) in LTC settings.

A study is out supporting my thoughts.

From said study:

Simulation analyses suggested that 988 (18.9%) infections, and 271 (18.7%) deaths in Ontario nursing homes would be prevented if 4-bed rooms had been converted to 2-bed rooms prior to the pandemic. In this scenario, an additional 5,070 new 2-bed rooms would have been needed to maintain capacity across the province , assuming that all current 4-bed rooms were capped at double occupancy.

In the simulation where all multiple occupancy rooms were converted to single occupancy, we estimated that 1,624 infections (31.1%) and 450 deaths (31.0%) would have been prevented. In this scenario, an additional 29,871 new single occupancy rooms would have been required, assuming current 4- and 2-bed rooms had been capped at single occupancy.

From the file of the many knock-on effects of the pandemic, our daughter lives near a decent sized city and is working with a contractor to have a deck built on their home. He said the best he can project is September because the lumber yards are low on pressure treated lumber. Between the mills being down and everybody at home doing or having done home reno projects, the supply has been depleted. I drove by a couple of our local yards today - the piles at one looked decent but the other looked very sparse. It seems lumber is the new TP.

Yep I have noticed I can’t get some very common building materials. i work in custom steel fabricators of railings, fences, gates, stairs and ornamental wrought iron.etc A lot of materials are on back-order. It's been such a nightmare, everything we use comes from either China or the US, very little is made locally or in Canada anymore.

Many here will recall, I have spoken again and again about the relationship of ward-style beds and semi-private beds as well to the spread of Covid (or any other infectious disease) in LTC settings.

A study is out supporting my thoughts.

From said study:

Simulation analyses suggested that 988 (18.9%) infections, and 271 (18.7%) deaths in Ontario nursing homes would be prevented if 4-bed rooms had been converted to 2-bed rooms prior to the pandemic. In this scenario, an additional 5,070 new 2-bed rooms would have been needed to maintain capacity across the province , assuming that all current 4-bed rooms were capped at double occupancy.

In the simulation where all multiple occupancy rooms were converted to single occupancy, we estimated that 1,624 infections (31.1%) and 450 deaths (31.0%) would have been prevented. In this scenario, an additional 29,871 new single occupancy rooms would have been required, assuming current 4- and 2-bed rooms had been capped at single occupancy.

The elimination of multi-bed "wards" into single occupancy "rooms" is more than changing the curtains into solid walls, but the altering of ventilation to provide separate HVAC, and separate "room" entrances.

The elimination of multi-bed "wards" into single occupancy "rooms" is more than changing the curtains into solid walls, but the altering of ventilation to provide separate HVAC, and separate "room" entrances.

No question about that, its major renos or in many cases, building replacement.

Its not done overnight.

But the studies first showing the efficaciousness of private rooms date back to at least the early 90s.

30 years was enough time to have addressed the issue in whole or at least in large part.

In face, the MoH did impose a mandate to get to semi-private by 2024.

Problem, the goal was insufficiently ambitious; and they are WAY behind.

1593034823276.png

The governor of Nevada has issued a directive that everyone must wear a mask in public. This means that all guests of Vegas resorts will need to wear a mask at all times while indoors (except in your hotel room) and outdoors if within six feet of another person. Businesses that don't enforce this will be subject to a fine.

Sisolak: Nevada to require face masks in public to fight COVID-19 spread

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2020/jun/24/sisolak-nevada-to-require-face-masks-in-public/

Yep I have noticed I can’t get some very common building materials. i work in custom steel fabricators of railings, fences, gates, stairs and ornamental wrought iron.etc A lot of materials are on back-order. It's been such a nightmare, everything we use comes from either China or the US, very little is made locally or in Canada anymore.

Ya, cross border supply chains are messed up (most PT lumber is domestic). Even at the retail level, the number of things I've looked at, both in-store and online. that are shown as 'out of stock' is significant. Even if you can order it, it hangs up in shipping. Both myself and our daughter ordered stuff that took a couple of months to arrive.

Hoping against hope that this will spur renewed domestic manufacturing (I see Trump is yapping about aluminum tariffs again).

Everyone I know is doing house projects out of boredom.

No kidding. In the beginning I wish I had a big project just to keep busy but now I'm thinking I'd just be frustrated (house is really clean though!). I tell people people that what I'm doing is what they call 'busy work' in kindergarten.

Well shall see if the death totals are the same as before because I heard its mostly more younger people getting infected now.

Current models project around 180,000 deaths in the US by October 1st, 2020. Those numbers drop to around 146,000 if at least 95 percent of people wear masks in public.

Current models project around 180,000 deaths in the US by October 1st, 2020. Those numbers drop to around 146,000 if at least 95 percent of people wear masks in public.

95%? I don't think even the Japanese achieved that.

AoD

Personally I only wear masks if I go indoors to shop or buy food.

I personally think having to wear a mask walking outside is something i wont ever follow as I am in the burbs and no one walks here anyway XD

Back