News   Aug 09, 2024
 215     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 750     0 
News   Aug 08, 2024
 1.4K     3 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Non-discretionary travel through Canada to Alaska is allowed - but sightseeing while doing so isn't. The land travel ban isn't as universal as the general public believed it to be.

AoD

There was a local news item on the weekend about some conflicts in Muskoka between locals and US tourists, and the images included vehicles with US plates. I'm not familiar with the border restrictions but wonder if being a property (cottage) owner is an exemption. Dunno.

There was a local news item on the weekend about some conflicts in Muskoka between locals and US tourists, and the images included vehicles with US plates. I'm not familiar with the border restrictions but wonder if being a property (cottage) owner is an exemption. Dunno.

This?

Dunno about property ownership qualifies one for exemption - the published rules are kind of vague, in the way government websites are useless in general (especially in simple English).

AoD

105485676_10157617149163585_7009659619365396551_n.jpg

From link.

Working from home? The "expenses" maybe tax deductible. Keep your e-mail/letter telling you to work from home, and your receipts.

See link.

In Canada both self-employed and qualified employees are able to claim expenses related to having a home office, although the deductions available differ significantly. The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) allows Taxpayers to deduct business-use-of-home (self-employed) or workspace-in-the-home (employee) expenses from your income which lower the amount of taxable income being claimed, which reduces the overall tax burden. The first thing that must be determined is if the work-space qualifies for either of these deductions, and then, which expenses are eligible to be claimed.

As an employee, if your employer wants you to work from home, or if that is the agreement to work from home, then there are home office deductions which may be claimed, provided the arrangement meets one of the two criteria:
  1. Your home office must be exclusively for working
  2. You must use that space to complete more than 50% of your work
There are three additional requirements for an employee claiming business-use-of-home expenses:
  1. Your employer must require you to maintain a home office as part of your contract of employment
  2. Your employer must not reimburse you for those expenses.
  3. Finally, you must fill out and have your employer sign, Form T2200, Declaration of Conditions of Employment.

To determine how much you can deduct for your home office expenses, calculate the size of your office as a percentage of your home’s total size. For example, if your home is 1,500 square meters and your office is 300 square meters, your office is 20% of your home’s total size, which means you are able to deduct 20% of many home expenses as home office expenses on your tax return. If, however, you use your office for both personal and business use but still meet the other criteria to declare it as a home office, you must calculate the portion of time you use your space for work and then apply that figure to your percentage. For example, if you use the space eight hours per day, every day for business, you use it as a home office 33% of the time. Multiply the usage percentage by the percentage related to your office’s size — the product of those two numbers is the amount of your home expenses you can subtract as home office expenses. To illustrate, if your home office is 20% of your home’s total size and you use it 33% of the time as an office, the percentage of expenses which can be deducted is 6.66%.

I wouldn't call an open "alcove" as an office. Get a door.

T2200 Declaration of Conditions of Employment

See link.

That was fast. Got a text message from the woman who normally cuts my hair last night saying they would open today (location in the PATH). She isn't in until Wednesday, but I called in and got my appointment booked with her for 8:00 a.m. tomorrow.

This?

Dunno about property ownership qualifies one for exemption - the published rules are kind of vague, in the way government websites are useless in general (especially in simple English).

AoD

Different network but same story. A lot might depend on what policy directive the CBSA has issued to its folks. There might be other permutations at play as well, such as leaving a vehicle up here without re-registering it, etc. which exposes them to other cans or worms.

Working from home? The "expenses" maybe tax deductible. Keep your e-mail/letter telling you to work from home, and your receipts.

See link.

I wouldn't call an open "alcove" as an office. Get a door.

T2200 Declaration of Conditions of Employment

See link.

I did it for part of one tax year when I had a contract with a government agency. I was provided a vehicle, laptop and phone but no workspace. Pretty straight forward math and rules provided the employer will sign off. If it becomes more mainstream, expect more CRA scrutiny.

That was fast. Got a text message from the woman who normally cuts my hair last night saying they would open today (location in the PATH). She isn't in until Wednesday, but I called in and got my appointment booked with her for 8:00 a.m. tomorrow.

I got an email from my salon with a list of new procedures.

Essentially I got told you don't reserve an appointment, you reserve your spot on a list and your stylist will confirm it.

I am actually thinking of going elsewhere rather than deal with headaches.

We got hair cutting shavers and my wife has been cutting my hair since the lockdown. I wished we started years ago actually. Definitely not the same with her. But she's not in a rush - we are both a bit paranoid and feel we are opening too quickly - we went by Sugar Beach and though not as bad as the Woodbine beach pictures, it was also pretty packed.

From the Post:

There you go - failure is *always* close to home.

In an email, Janet Wong, a spokeswoman for the agency, said that, as “with the majority of publicly funded organizations in Ontario, Public Health Ontario has had to streamline our operations to align with fiscal realities.” That restructuring has led to the departure of some staff, she added. “However, these staff changes have not impacted PHO’s ability to respond to the pandemic.”

Hahaha, I am sure the outcome that is the current fiscal reality make that a really sound streamlining investment. And I am sure the quality of the current response can't be bested. Cheesecake recipes though.

AoD

Last edited:
I got an email from my salon with a list of new procedures.

Essentially I got told you don't reserve an appointment, you reserve your spot on a list and your stylist will confirm it.

I am actually thinking of going elsewhere rather than deal with headaches.
They're all working under the same guidelines. My appt is for Saturday, and they told me they will call on Friday to review the protocols. I heard of one place that has doubled their price.

Back