News   Sep 13, 2024
 70     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 336     0 
News   Sep 13, 2024
 412     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

Seems like you're reaching for a more fundamental issue with the societal pact and its ability to deal with crisis situations- and going by your points, the lockdown was inevitably doomed.

Yup, I think it is fundamentally doomed unless you go for draconian enforcement and punishment- see my edited post on the bit about fear. There is no longer much fear about COVID (especially among some segment of the population) - and in part because we are successful in limiting the hump. And even if we aren't, I suspect a chunk of the population still wouldn't give a damn (see the public behaviour down south even with the number of cases skyrocketing). Now when the second wave arrives with significant community transmission and the atmosphere of fear reemerges, people will go back to cocooning.

Proper individual response to crisis situations requires the feeling of being at risk- and when I look outside I can totally understand why it doesn't work well - nice sunny hot summer days with no visible sign of ongoing contagion? That's like a phoney war. Now if you fake the stats, keep on announcing that cases never went down and are currently rising, you can probably do it - but that's an unthinkable violation of public trust - not a rabbit hole one should go down into.

Social ostracization and pressure would have worked elsewhere - but this isn't a country where it would be effective.

AoD

Last edited:
Speaking of case #s.

Today's are as follows for Ontario:

New Cases: 161 or an increase of .48%

New deaths: 3

New resolved cases 214 or 0.7%

# in hospital is down 21 to 265
# in ICU is down 10 to 76
# on Vents is down 1 to 58

Active cases down 56 to 2095 (at peak this number was ~5600)

Last edited:
Looks like Peel Region will also move to Stage 2.

Only Windsor being left out.

1592839313800.png

Toronto will apparently to Stage 2 later this week:

Yeah as of now my wedding is limited to 40 people and i deferred my reception to April as I hope a 2nd wave will be gone by then.

About why people wont take a sacrifice ...

Dont want to sound like a boomer and i am third of an age of one, but as someone who looks at history, we as a society are very individualistic and very soft. We have not faced many real hardships such as wars that killed 100s of thousands of our people or great disasters that destroyed parts of our nation.

Like there has been a disease that has killed 500k worldwide and my personal focus is trying to get married this year (oof). Like that is selfish but to me I have not lived in a world where the idea you have to put life on hold for 12-18 months for such an event.

Very interesting, and disconcerting Twitter thread from someone looking at the gory details of Covid case reporting.

One might be tempted to look at this as good news, as it appears Ontario is OVER reporting new cases; by inserting backdated cases from previous months.

If true, that is serious. It makes a hash of any ability to calculate RT

We've previously seen data moved around by a week or two, which isn't great; but moving it by a month or two is terrible. If this proves to be true; the government must account for (and correct) this.

There are some other issues raised as well with data quality and transparency.

Um why arent we simply just testing every migrant worker entering the country?

Its clear bringing in people from countries with wide Corona outbreaks.

Any worker, from anywhere, brought in to Canada from March forward ought to have been tested in their country of origin before ever boarding a plane.

They then should have been tested again, on arrival.

Just plain sensible.

Also, we ought to have imposed conditions on farms requiring non-barracks/dorm accommodation. This six or more to a room nonsense is promoting spread. (and was entirely unreasonable to begin with).

We ought to have capped them at 2 or 3 to a room tops; and inspected for compliance.

As with everything else in Covid from LTC staffing restrictions to masks to tests the government has been late to implement proper policy and in reactive rather than proactive mode.

After complaints from the public, The RCMP decided to go have a look-in on some groups of Americans spending time in Banff.

7 Fines issued for non-essential travel, $1,200 a pop.

So I decided to still get Married in October but has deferred my Reception to April (in Indian culture wedding and reception can be separate days)

Do you guys think Reception halls should be by April 2021?

Back