News   Sep 13, 2024
 60     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 627     0 
News   Sep 12, 2024
 450     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

So I haven't reported on the Covid Stats in awhile.

But today was pretty good news.

192 new cases.

That's 0.6% case growth.

The numbers posted are higher, because they included some of those cases that went missing earlier. (I find that stupid, they should be put in revised data for the dates they belong to, so as not to mess up accurate Rt data! )

Also the numbers in hospital continue to fall. down to 635 province-wide (that's a reduction of 38)

I am getting more and more confused by the statistics that Ontario releases. See https://www.ontario.ca/page/how-ontario-is-responding-covid-19#section-0

Some days (like today) have a fairly high figure of 415 new positives but today 223 of these are "late reports". (So today's figure is really 'only' 192? ) Has anyone compiled a table of only new & current cases (i.e. late reports are added to earlier days? (As was suggested by @Northern Light at almost the same instant! Two bodies and one brain?))
There is also the fact that if one tests only people who you think DO have covid-19 - as was done a few weeks ago - you are likely to get a high % of positives. Now we are testing more people and 'anyone' can be tested so you will probably find more positives (but a lower %),.

I think things are not going too well and # of new cases needs to be lowered more before more things are opened up but it does remind me of the old saying "There are lies, damned lies and statistics"!.....

When we're not being ideological, we can't say 100% of for-profit homes are terrible.

Though an inordinate number have had severe issues during the pandemic, and as a result have had an inordinate number of deaths.

We could argue for ditching the for-profit motive in healthcare/LTC all together, and I could get behind that.

But even if people weren't ready for that scale/expense of intervention, Sienna is one of 2-3 providers in Ontario that have multiple homes with large numbers of deaths and a plethora of secondary issues.

I think we should all be ready to agree this particular company needs to cease operating; and its homes need to be taken over by a credible operator public/non-profit or w/e.

Province opens up pretty much North of highway 9 apart from york region and Border areas like Niagara falls and Windsor.

Reopening Ontario: what’s in each stage

Learn about what can reopen in each stage and where, according to the government’s regional approach to stage 2.

Read this link before taking the exam this Friday. Short sleeves only. Social distancing means no cheating.

motivational-cheating.gif

From link.

Exploitation, abuse, health hazards rise for migrant workers during COVID-19, group says

Jun 08, 2020

A group representing migrant workers in Canada is demanding better protections after two men died of COVID-19 and hundreds more have been infected, and as complaints mount over dangerous working and housing conditions.

A new report presents a grim snapshot of workers who fear for their health and livelihoods after arriving in Canada to perform work the federal government has described as vital to the country's food supply.

The Migrant Workers Alliance for Change heard complaints from more than a thousand workers on a variety of issues, including a lack of access to protective equipment, crowded conditions that don't allow physical distancing, poor access to proper food during quarantine and unfair gouging on wages and meal costs.

Is sandbanks beach open? I was planning to go in 2-3 weeks there...

Check the Parks Ontario website as well as Sandbanks PP Facebook since they seem to put a lot of park-specific info on there (neither will probably be updated until Friday when the changes come into effect. It sounds from the general government that it will be.

Back