News   Apr 25, 2024
 357     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1K     0 

Novel Coronavirus COVID-19 (nCoV-2019)

I'm not in agreement with this.

In a culture where both parents work; there simply isn't anyone home to care for an elderly parent no longer capable of independent living.

Many people are also single into their middle aged years and beyond either never having married or having divorced, and face the same issue.

Housing units also aren't large enough for this in many cases. Not everyone has a spare bedroom.

Further, the majority of those in Long Term Care have either serious mental or physical disabilities, or both.

Most homes/condos/apartments are not set up for someone with mobility challenges or who uses a wheelchair.

Indeed the many live in rental housing which they couldn't alter if money were no object, as that is a landlord's prerogative.

In the case of my mother I was able to keep her in her apartment after her stroke until near the very end of her life, by insuring she had 22 hours a week of help from PSWs...

By unplugging her stove (she lost her short-term memory and could accidentally start a fire); and could pull it off, only barely, because I lived nearby, and had a job that allowed me to work from home much of the time.

Many people aren't as lucky as I am; and even then it was a real challenge at times.

My father, was paralyzed at the end, and I couldn't lift him.

Those are the folks who end up in LTC more often than not.

To suggest families can simply snap their fingers and deal is profoundly unfair to them and betrays ignorance of how people live.

You could doubtless argue for multi-generational living; but our housing isn't physically conducive to that.

Moreover, you might want to ask Italians living in the Lombardy region about whether that carries its own risks.

Of course i do agree lifestyle and our culture is not really set up to deal with having our parents live with us.

However i feel a lot of people dont really care about how seniors are treated in such facilities in general.

What i meant i feel there is a general apathy towards seniors in society at times which is odd as we will all become seniors one day.

Of course i do agree lifestyle and our culture is not really set up to deal with having our parents live with us.

However i feel a lot of people dont really care about how seniors are treated in such facilities in general.

What i meant i feel there is a general apathy towards seniors in society at times which is odd as we will all become seniors one day.

Doubtless this is true in some cases. But I doubt its the norm.

If you have evidence for this, I'd like to see it.

In my own experience, when my mother was palliative, the woman who shared her room had her daughter coming in daily.

When my father was palliative, same thing.

I was at my father's bedside at least every other day.

There are people in LTC who don't have any children/siblings to be their advocates.

As well as some who have family with whom they don't get along or who disappoint.

But I don't think that describes a majority of situations.

I expect you'd find that people who are visiting family often aren't aware there's something wrong or feel helpless in trying to get it addressed if they do.

Sometimes what's wrong may be entirely obvious (if you see the cockroach or overt hygiene issues.)

But as often as not, these things go unseen.

If you come in to a facility filled with people who are often dying or in difficulty, you expect to hear people in pain or in need of a nurse.

If the paint isn't peeling; and lunch shows up at noon and looks ok for hospital food..........

You may not clue in that proper practices aren't being followed.

Even if you do........

Not everyone feels empowered to speak to a supervisor; or might worry about reprisals against their loved one.

I'm a professional advocate, self-confident, educated, and I know how to move around governments and non-profits reasonably well.

But not everyone has had that life.

Even then, things happen when someone like me is involved.

I had to spend time talking to managers when I heard of things going amiss; even in a facility with an excellent reputation, which mostly provided a high standard of care.

What does happen though, is what happens to the healthcare system writ large, or the education system or the environment, or the homeless shelter system.

The average person simply has limited personal experience with these for the bulk of their life.

As such they aren't aware of problems and aren't lobbying to fix what they don't know about.

Beyond that, there is the overall culture issue of a certain segment of the population bemoaning taxes ad nauseum and depriving government of the resources to do their job better.

To suggest families can simply snap their fingers and deal is profoundly unfair to them and betrays ignorance of how people live.

If it was a priority in our society/culture things would be set up in a way to facilitate it.
As it is we value independence from our elders more than responsibility for them, and thus our living arrangements reflect that.

Not saying it's wrong, but it's the reality.

There is a general societal difference between East and West around how people view their parents though.

Like I am Canadian but when I got married getting my parents approval for this marriage was paramount and being accepted by his parents was vital. To my non indian cnadian friends they were confused why I was so paranoid and worried about that as they found parents approval is not really important.

Now I'm not suggesting Indian culture is superior to Canadian culture but frankly these cultural differences I think affects how we view our seniors as well.

We known for a long time how bad senior homes are and nothing jas changed.

Last edited:
I think there is a cultural component where extended families live under one roof, income is pooled (or some shared arrangement) and one adult says home and looks after everybody's kids and parents. Obviously, that assumes everybody lives and works in the same general area, which is likely an extension of the cultural home area. It doesn't really work when kids scatter to the winds. My father-in-law is in Toronto and my wife is the closest sibling - two hours away

Without that, things like daycares and seniors home are necessary; when the only or all incomes of a family are necessary to pay the bills. Even with improved home care services, if all adults have to work outside of the home, you often can't leave many elderly at home alone, and none of this adequately addresses elders with chronic or more intensive care needs.

This is anecdotal, of course: but when my grandmother was in the hospital, my mother and two uncles took turns keeping her company. She was almost never alone. One day a nurse remarked to my mother, “She must be really special to you, you guys are here everyday.” My mother said, “Of course, she’s my mother.” The nurse then told her of the countless times she’s seen people just dump their parents off in the hospital and say not to bother calling them unless they’ve died.

This is anecdotal, of course: but when my grandmother was in the hospital, my mother and two uncles took turns keeping her company. She was almost never alone. One day a nurse remarked to my mother, “She must be really special to you, you guys are here everyday.” My mother said, “Of course, she’s my mother.” The nurse then told her of the countless times she’s seen people just dump their parents off in the hospital and say not to bother calling them unless they’ve died.

Yeah I remember when grandpa passed in 2017 it was a constant stream of family coming to see him in his last week at the hospital. In his final week there was always someone there 24/7 and the thing is my grandpa was not a great guy and his kids did not like him much...however they still kept a watch and gave comfort.

4 days before he passed an elderly lady been there for a week and no one came. She seemed very nice and talked about how she had 3 sons and she misses them.
She died in the middle of the night due to old age all alone at 79.

A nurse was there in the last mins and shut her eyes and started the paperwork and we were confused why no one was around.

She called her next of kin but no one answered, dad I stayed around for about 2 hours and finally some person came and it was some random friend of hers and then she tried to contact her sons and they were all local and they said they will come tomorrow as it '3am'.

It was an interesting dichotomy really ... one would assume she must have been a horrible mother to have such bad kids but she could have been a great mother too who knows.

I think its a value system that built-in some families and in some cultures, I think.

If I was your landlord I’d acquiesce to your demands, for now. Once the market corrects itself I’d evict your arse as soon as I was able.

Evict me for what? Paying rent ahead of time? Being a good neighbour? Doing them a favour? Referring other good tenants? ?

They can't evict me for negotiating a lower price on a unit I want to move into. Besides, my landlord loves me. :D

I see you're having a hard time with the maths as well. If it's empty for even one more month, after rent increases, they will get the same money after two years as they would if they waited for someone to pay full price. Stop acting like I'm trying to scam my landlord. I'm trying to help them whilst helping me.

Sorry, if it's empty at all into next month, not one more month. They've already lost two weeks of income by not renting to me....so are already ten months behind on income.

Last edited:
Some landlords are not desperate and in today’s climate of rent control, you have to think even harder about taking less money.

It’s not about just taking any offer. Tenants are playing a dangerous game here but they have all the leverage so please no more complaining about landlords being greedy.

Come look at what's selling and for how much here and how many have sat empty over the last year or so. Well before the plague, our landlord was pushing the limits and getting burnt.
1% vacancies in Toronto?

Not here, try 8% because no one wants to pay the inflated prices that are clearly not based in market realities else they would sell in no time.

He's already had to stall prices for the last two years....all before the plague.

Its not a 100% operational issue.

Its a general sense in north American culture of not wanting to take care of your parents in old age by society.

I said this before. I don't get the warehousing of old people.

My grandparents all died in their own homes well into their late 80s, 90s and one is still kicking at 94 and you best believe they were/are decrepit. All it took was a bit of family care and a will to live and not give up.

The way we treat our elders in this country is messed up.

Come look at what's selling and for how much here and how many have sat empty over the last year or so. Well before the plague, our landlord was pushing the limits and getting burnt.
1% vacancies in Toronto?

Not here, try 8% because no one wants to pay the inflated prices that are clearly not based in market realities else they would sell in no time.

He's already had to stall prices for the last two years....all before the plague.

I don't get it, it's the landlord's prerogative to set the price he feels comfortable with. If it's too high, it won't get rented. What's the problem here?

Directive 2 has been amended which means optometrists, chiros, dentists and more (these folks: http://www.healthforceontario.ca/en/Home/Health_Providers ) can start seeing patients again. https://coo.informz.ca/COO/data/images/Directive 2 May 26 2020.pdf

ooh I might have to see a chiropractor. Screwed my back up royally today. On the brightside one business I won't likely have to return to is my barber. Been cutting my own hair so good. And now I know how to do it I can cut it whenever I want. Back and sides have become regular routine like shaving.

Back